May Movies: Doctor Strange, & Top Gun, kickoff big Summer Season

Mark Vader

9 minutes ago, Rico said:

Tom Hanks is a good one, another '5 decade' star, but he's older now + his days as a big-movie leading man are just about over. "Elvis" looks great though. can't wait to see it in a few weeks.

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-star-records/domestic/lifetime-acting/top-grossing-leading-stars

I don't see anyone on this list touching Cruise right now, not in the age of Marvel.

As for Top Gun: Maverick at home, 4K with Dolby Atmos FTW, the place will be rocking!

I totally forgot about Samuel L Jackson

So, regarding Top Gun: Maverick (TGM)?  Exceeded my expectations, by far.  Should you enter the theater with expectations in check, and are willing to suspend disbelief, then this movie will probably deliver for you.

I enjoyed it immensely: camp, plot holes, and all.  Not making a political statement when I say this, so seeing this highly entertaining movie during an extended time of national malaise, was a total gift.  This is the first time that I can think of, in probably 20+ years, where a packed theater was clapping and laughing, and that moviegoers, who in some cases didn't know each other, were giving high fives.  Great night, will see it again, and a must see if you enjoy escapist types of movies as much as I.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TheCockSportif said:

So, regarding Top Gun: Maverick (TGM)?  Exceeded my expectations, by far.  Should you enter the theater with expectations in check, and are willing to suspend disbelief, then this movie will probably deliver for you.

I enjoyed it immensely: camp, plot holes, and all.  Not making a political statement when I say this, so seeing this highly entertaining movie during an extended time of national malaise, was a total gift.  This is the first time that I can think of, in probably 20+ years, where a packed theater was clapping and laughing, and that moviegoers, who in some cases didn't know each other, were giving high fives.  Great night, will see it again, and a must see if you enjoy escapist types of movies as much as I.

Agreed.

But the laughing, crying, clapping, high fiving happens with plenty other movies too. Any big Marvel movie, End Game to name one. Just gotta go at the right time.

30 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Agreed.

But the laughing, crying, clapping, high fiving happens with plenty other movies too. Any big Marvel movie, End Game to name one. Just gotta go at the right time.

I will request that my local Cinemagic lets me know when all of the good times for audience interaction are.  🤠

32 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Agreed.

Opening night in a packed house is always best.

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Tom Hanks is still prominent. Brad Pitt too, but a little younger. DiCaprio will undoubtedly carry the torch. Then there are a bunch of younger guys. Totally disregarding all the female stars, too. Calling someone "the last" of anything is supposed to be reserved for a real dying breed.

Finally saw it yesterday. Such an awesome movie. I'll definitely be getting the blu-ray with all the behind-the-scenes stuff

I did not take the conversation to be intended to take into consideration female stars. I suppose when I think of star, I think of classic Hollywood. There's a certain glamour invoked. Tom Hanks is a great actor. I don't think he carries the charisma that star connotates for me, though that is not really fair. He fits in with Jimmy Stewart and Gary Cooper, that type, anyway. I agree on Pitt somewhat, though he often seeks out quirky, challenging films that do not cater to a wide audience. DiCaprio, for sure. There's always talent and there is always a rising generation. I did not intend otherwise. Cruise, however, seems to me to have a string of hits over the course of forty years in a genre where it is difficult to remain relevant for that length of time. I'm glad Top Gun: Maverick is a really good film.

• Like (+1) 1

Looks like Top Gun Maverick will break the Memorial Day Record with $156million, and $261M worldwide.

It needs to Gross $340M to start making a profit. (%50 of tickets with a budget of $170)

Let's see if it can beat the original.

Adjusted for inflation, the original made $942M, with a budget of $40M. Profit: $430M

Target to match original: $1.2Billion Worldwide.

12 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Tom Hanks is still prominent. Brad Pitt too, but a little younger. DiCaprio will undoubtedly carry the torch. Then there are a bunch of younger guys. Totally disregarding all the female stars, too. Calling someone "the last" of anything is supposed to be reserved for a real dying breed.

Finally saw it yesterday. Such an awesome movie. I'll definitely be getting the blu-ray with all the behind-the-scenes stuff

I think Tom Hanks' best days passed by awhile ago. He's been getting a lot of roles based on real life people, and it feels like he is impersonating more than acting.

13 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

If you think about consistency over decades, I can't think of anyone else prominent today who is in the conversation. I like other actors, but I don't think a fella like Hugh Jackman, for instance, is really a box office star, though he's a solid lead actor.

Good point.

Movie Star does not mean Great Actor.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.