Do you take a corner in the first?

Billsfanatixs

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Again…the coaches screwed those 13 seconds up more than anything. They literally did nothing right. The defense was the unit on the field, so it’s easy for people that can’t see the big picture to cherry pick them. 

Take that game out of the equation. In fact, ignore everything from the second half of the Bucs game to the end of the season. What was happening for the 5 or 6 games leading up to that. Allen was running for his life cause he had zero blocking and pressure was immediately coming right into his face. Singletary was the slow running back that he is to this day. The defense was playing lights out as it did all season…thus the number one ranking.

Our offense could only muster 6 points against a Jags team that had quit on its coach. The offense was THE reason we didn’t play the Chiefs in Buffalo last year. All they needed was one TD against the worst team in the league and they couldn’t get that accomplished. 

This. There are several corners that we could target later that could be difference makers. I like Taylor-Britt, Josh Williams, Woolen, etc. It doesn’t have to be a first round corner. We can take offense in the first and address corner later. 

I have some questions.

When did Dawkins become healthy? When did they put Bates in at LG? 

Didn't we have a rookie playing RT?

Didn't they change the way the line played when Bates came in and Dawkins was back to health?🤔

I believe with a healthy Dawkins,  Saffold as well as Bates and Brown having got some real experience, our line will be better to start the year. Add a couple of later round picks for depth and future. 

I just don't think you can not take into account the way the line played the last 5-6 games. Health and experience goes a long way.

I would add, that if the defense could have stopped the run against the Titans or Colts or we didn't have the wind game against NE maybe even not having a blocked punt against the Steelers things may have been different. Maybe we are home for the divisional round. Maybe if we had a CB similar to White (at least better than Wallace and Jackson), the whole 13 second thing never happens. Maybe they don't play Prevent?? Too many maybes.

We will have answers over the next few weeks as to what the coaches think. But until then, CB is and should be the priority.😁

• Eyeroll 1

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes in the biggest games where the stakes are biggest I do. 

That's not what Happless said and what you agreed with..........that the Bills will NEVER get him to stop running the ball 100+ times per regular season regardless of how good the OL or weapons around him are.

You guys are being unrealistic and assuming his intellect will never catch up to his impulsiveness, IMO.

6 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I have some questions.

When did Dawkins become healthy? When did they put Bates in at LG? 

Didn't we have a rookie playing RT?

Didn't they change the way the line played when Bates came in and Dawkins was back to health?🤔

I believe with a healthy Dawkins,  Saffold as well as Bates and Brown having got some real experience, our line will be better to start the year. Add a couple of later round picks for depth and future. 

I just don't think you can not take into account the way the line played the last 5-6 games. Health and experience goes a long way.

I would add, that if the defense could have stopped the run against the Titans or Colts or we didn't have the wind game against NE maybe even not having a blocked punt against the Steelers things may have been different. Maybe we are home for the divisional round. Maybe if we had a CB similar to White (at least better than Wallace and Jackson), the whole 13 second thing never happens. Maybe they don't play Prevent?? Too many maybes.

We will have answers over the next few weeks as to what the coaches think. But until then, CB is and should be the priority.😁

When did Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson keep the Bills from fielding the top pass defense in the NFL when they were starters?    

Dane Jackson had a 70 passer rating against.........which believe it or be wrong........was better than Tre White had in both the 2017 and 2020 seasons.

Why do we ASSUME Tre White can't come back in 9 months and be good in zone defense when Rod Woodson came back 5 months post op and played in the SB 27 years ago?

Why do we assume that the Bills CB depth that has proven to be much more reliable than the Bills OL depth...........isn't going to step up and work fine behind a pass rush that is enhanced by 3 veteran upgrades and reasonable-to-expect improvements from 3 young top draft picks?

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The evidence I have is that no QB has even come close to being able to running the ball that much and maintained their ability as a QB for a decade let alone the 15+ years that we expect/need from Allen.   The punished passers of the past were topping out between 3-4 runs per game for most of their careers.  Allen ran 15 times against a sh*tty Atlanta team last year. :doh:

He's a great athlete........but save the running for the playoffs.

His greatest attribute by far is his right arm.........the ability to make defenses defend the first 30 yards from the LOS the way they would normally only have to defend the first 15 yards.

That skill is so much greater than his running ability...........it is criminal to let him get beat up and potentially undermine his potential to be so great BEHIND the LOS.

Have we learned nothing from watching Tom Brady..........less hits = healthier body = the ability to execute in the pass game for a LONG time.

As for my comment about all defensive fixes are temporary..........it's based on the statistical fact that defensive success is much more difficult to maintain than offensive success.    Defense's turn over fast.   There is no elite QB on that side of the ball that can guarantee you a minimum level of success.  

Good take but it falls a little short in my book. Of course Josh running the ball 15 plus times every game is not ideal for his body. I don't think that's the Bills' long term plan. I do think it's viable that Allen uses his legs because he's that good. His ability to make plays and elude tackles is a great asset. It also keeps defenses guessing/ honest with their schemes. It would be a travesty to let Allen turn into a pure pocket passer. Of course his right arm is the primary weapon and no one is disbuting that.  No one is advocating for Allen to get beat up as you state. Thus far, his body has been able to hold up well. 

Tom Brady is the exception and the comparasion frankly isn't viable.  How good of a receiving core has he had over his career?  I'll just leave it at that...

Your comment about defenses is pretty ridiculous. Look at Darnold and Vita Vea for a reference. Those are just 2 of the top of my head. Not to mention elite pass rushers. 

40 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's not what Happless said and what you agreed with..........that the Bills will NEVER get him to stop running the ball 100+ times per regular season regardless of how good the OL or weapons around him are.

You guys are being unrealistic and assuming his intellect will never catch up to his impulsiveness, IMO.

I don't think I am. I think Josh is Josh. That burning desire to do whatever it takes isn't going to fade IMO. Might he run less in his 30s? Only if he thinks it is going to be less effective. If he thinks in a big moment he can get that first down or touchdown running he will do it. 

They can dial back the called stuff, but the uncalled stuff that is just who Josh is always going to be. 

Doesn't mean you shouldn't improve your offense around him. But I don't think it will change him. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So you think Allen will be running 6-10 times per regular season game when he's 32?

Or are you just saying you think he will be toast by then?

The Bills did have a late season game last year(Carolina) where they CLEARLY told him not to run.........and he only ran 3 times.

It was ugly because the OL was a swinging gate and he got sacked 4 times...........but he didn't go off script.

It's on the Bills to make sure that he's protected better and given a broader range of options in the passing game so he doesn't have to run to keep the ball moving.

The playoffs are a different story.   Image the 38 year old John Elway diving for the end zone and getting nailed and spun in the SB against the Packers.

Patrick Mahomes runs when the stakes get higher..........he's had some killer runs in the playoffs and also taken some bad hits then too.........but he keeps it in the 2-5 runs per game average in the regular season.

That's PLENTY..........and that is where it needs to be.

I don't think Allen is as dumb/stubborn as you guys do.........I think he's proven to be more aware than that in how he has addressed his weaknesses.  

He is smart enough to get there if the Bills don't make it impossible to do otherwise with their lack of emphasis on offensive talent quality.

I dont think anyone is debating that the OL trenches don't need some new bodies to add into the mix.  FORTIFY THE TRENCHES

Agrees Everybody. But the bolded infers that the Bills WON'T emphasize the OL or WR or RB  in the draft. Sez You but its no given fact.  Nobody knows the draft board of the Bills year  to year....OL and CB are both question marks WR less so but that's jmo. RB heck yeah if he compliments Motor. BPA FTW

m

Edited by muppy

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think I am. I think Josh is Josh. That burning desire to do whatever it takes isn't going to fade IMO. Might he run less in his 30s? Only if he thinks it is going to be less effective. If he thinks in a big moment he can get that first down or touchdown running he will do it. 

They can dial back the called stuff, but the uncalled stuff that is just who Josh is always going to be. 

Doesn't mean you shouldn't improve your offense around him. But I don't think it will change him. 

"Whatever it takes" is the key.

If the OL continues to be a weakness........and the receiving corps doesn't improve wrt to YAC.....then WIT will include running the ball 6-10 times per game.........and 10-15 in important games.

He'd be an idiot to keep testing fate and I give him more credit than you guys in that regard..........it's no different than learning when to give up on a dead play and throw the ball away and he's made great strides at that since 2019.

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When did Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson keep the Bills from fielding the top pass defense in the NFL when they were starters?    

Dane Jackson had a 70 passer rating against.........which believe it or be wrong........was better than Tre White had in both the 2017 and 2020 seasons.

Why do we ASSUME Tre White can't come back in 9 months and be good in zone defense when Rod Woodson came back 5 months post op and played in the SB 27 years ago?

Why do we assume that the Bills CB depth that has proven to be much more reliable than the Bills OL depth...........isn't going to step up and work fine behind a pass rush that is enhanced by 3 veteran upgrades and reasonable-to-expect improvements from 3 young top draft picks?

Levi is no longer here and hasn't been replaced. 

Pass rush won't matter if you can't cover for more than 2 seconds.

I actually like Jackson and think he could potentially be the #2 (potentially). But, do you want to count on it or him having to be the #1? Especially with some of the WR we will/could be facing? I am not assuming White won't be back, I am assuming he won't be back at 100%, at least through the first half of the season. Heaven forbid there is any kind of setback.

Really, Woodson?! How many others have made it back in 19 weeks? Come on man... I am not a DR, but almost everything I've seen is 9-12 months and could be longer given the mental piece. 

Considering what we have already done in FA, it's not a risk we should be willing to take. We currently have what, Johnson, Jackson and uncertainty with White as our 3 starters?

We basically already have our starting Oline, our WR's and our DL. We need depth at LB, S, OL, WR and possibly an upgrade to the TE (Sweeney/Gillam) and RB group (Moss). But with signing of OJH and DJ it kind of takes the pressure off. At this point, CB still needs to be addressed.

11 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I actually like Jackson and think he could potentially be the #2 (potentially). But, do you want to count on it or him having to be the #1? Especially with some of the WR we will/could be facing? I am not assuming White won't be back, I am assuming he won't be back at 100%, at least through the first half of the season. Heaven forbid there is any kind of setback.

Really, Woodson?! How many others have made it back in 19 weeks? Come on man... I am not a DR, but almost everything I've seen is 9-12 months and could be longer given the mental piece. 

Considering what we have already done in FA, it's not a risk we should be willing to take. We currently have what, Johnson, Jackson and uncertainty with White as our 3 starters?

We basically already have our starting Oline, our WR's and our DL. We need depth at LB, S, OL, WR and possibly an upgrade to the TE (Sweeney/Gillam) and RB group (Moss). But with signing of OJH and DJ it kind of takes the pressure off. At this point, CB still needs to be addressed.

Try looking at it this way.

The Bills two current starting boundary CB's had excellent passer ratings against of 59 and 70 in 2021......and their defense finished #1 in pass defense.

The Bills OL meanwhile allowed a horrific 125 combined pressures and sacks.........versus the 100 that the much maligned Bengals OL.    The Bengals made sweeping changes to their OL.   The Bills added a statistically worse pass blocking LG and are otherwise running it back.

They are starting from polar opposite positions..........the secondary was excellent........the OL was poor.

Neither the CB or OL units on the Bills have depth.....we all know this.

But the OL depth are players who are proven awful like Cody Ford and Dolphin scrub Greg Mancz..........while at CB, players like Lewis, McCloud and Griffin are unproven......not proven to be liabiliities.

• Dislike 1

So you were exaggerating for effect when you said "never"?

Thank you

What I said.

What you said:

Note the addition of the caveat "regardless of how good the OL or weapons around him are", which is your addition, and substantively changes the implied meaning.

To your question:

In theory, hypothetically, if the Bills build an iron fortress and a brilliant stable of receivers with a top notch run game, sure, he would likely run less.  However, I don't see the Bills going "all in" on OL and offensive weapons in the draft and FA to the extent where that would be achieved. 

The change I'd realistically like to see is a bit more balance towards offensive investment (starting this draft with IOL somewhere in the first 3 rounds and a quality receiver), to the point where we have a realistic run threat without Josh designed runs

I think right about 100x (that being about what he did in 2020, adjusted for a 17 game season) is the balance, with a limit on designed runs and a continued focus on getting down/getting OOB.  I would contend that when he's running to keep us out of 3rd-and-long and ending in a slide/OOB, he is more in control and the results are probably better for Josh's longevity than struggling to extend a 3rd and long where the opponent knows we're going to pass and he's getting hit. 

Both times Josh has been known to be injured - his rookie year when he took a helmet to the elbow in the pocket, and 2020 when he tried to complete a pass as he was being tackled and showed up in a Linebacker brace for the next 3 or 4 weeks - he was in the pocket. 

The recent "poster QB" for a guy whose career was cut short due to repeated injuries, Andrew Luck, had a career 3-5 rushes per game (average 4), and most of the abuse he took (from what I saw) was.....trying to stay in the pocket and complete plays. 

To your point, the Colts did ***** to give Luck a competent OL to play with, and that's a strong argument supporting the idea that the Bills really better do more than they have to to bolster the OL and protect Josh.  Like use a draft pick in the first 3 rounds this year.  I believe we are in violent agreement on the point that the Bills had better invest draft capital in the offense and particularly on OL?

But it's an argument against a contention that there's some magic 2-5 rushes per game to which the Bills should arbitrarily limit Josh, since .  Again, I would contend that it's not the number of rushes per game, it's the type of rush - too many designed runs where he is going to get hit and he's taking extra punishment by fighting for YAC, or runs where he tries to break a big gain instead of getting the 1st (or even just shortening the distance) and getting down/OOB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What I said.

What you said:

Note the addition of the caveat "regardless of how good the OL or weapons around him are", which is your addition, and substantively changes the implied meaning.

To your question:

In theory, hypothetically, if the Bills build an iron fortress and a brilliant stable of receivers with a top notch run game, sure, he would likely run less.  However, I don't see the Bills going "all in" on OL and offensive weapons in the draft and FA to the extent where that would be achieved. 

The change I'd realistically like to see is a bit more balance towards offensive investment (starting this draft with IOL somewhere in the first 3 rounds and a quality receiver), to the point where we have a realistic run threat without Josh designed runs

I think right about 100x (that being about what he did in 2020, adjusted for a 17 game season) is the balance, with a limit on designed runs and a continued focus on getting down/getting OOB.  I would contend that when he's running to keep us out of 3rd-and-long and ending in a slide/OOB, he is more in control and the results are probably better for Josh's longevity than struggling to extend a 3rd and long where the opponent knows we're going to pass and he's getting hit. 

Both times Josh has been known to be injured - his rookie year when he took a helmet to the elbow in the pocket, and 2020 when he tried to complete a pass as he was being tackled and showed up in a Linebacker brace for the next 3 or 4 weeks - he was in the pocket. 

The recent "poster QB" for a guy whose career was cut short due to repeated injuries, Andrew Luck, had a career 3-5 rushes per game (average 4), and most of the abuse he took (from what I saw) was.....trying to stay in the pocket and complete plays. 

To your point, the Colts did ***** to give Luck a competent OL to play with, and that's a strong argument supporting the idea that the Bills really better do more than they have to to bolster the OL and protect Josh.  Like use a draft pick in the first 3 rounds this year.  I believe we are in violent agreement on the point that the Bills had better invest draft capital in the offense and particularly on OL?

But it's an argument against a contention that there's some magic 2-5 rushes per game to which the Bills should arbitrarily limit Josh, since .  Again, I would contend that it's not the number of rushes per game, it's the type of rush - too many designed runs where he is going to get hit and he's taking extra punishment by fighting for YAC, or runs where he tries to break a big gain instead of getting the 1st (or even just shortening the distance) and getting down/OOB.

1) Not ever = Never

Literally the same thing.

2) Rather than arguing with my point that improving the personnel could greatly reduce his running..........and potentially extend his effectiveness later into his career..........maybe admit that it's obviously the best approach for the organization.

And 2-5 isn't a "magic", pulled-out-of-thin-air number.........it's literally the number and a much broader range than it sounds like.........because all the long tenured greats have very, very rarely rushed more than 2-4 times per game in their seasons.

What does it take to admit that 2 is A LOT less than 8-10...........saying it's 400% to 500% more?   Just admit it for chrissakes. :lol:

I know people are in a fervor about winning a SB NOW.........and want to patch up every perceived hole and that the assumption is that on the offensive side of the ball Josh Allen can cover up any weakness with his ability to play RB.

But if you are going to trust ONE process..........that process should be that job #1 is to protect the QB.

"Whatever it takes" is the key.

If the OL continues to be a weakness........and the receiving corps doesn't improve wrt to YAC.....then WIT will include running the ball 6-10 times per game.........and 10-15 in important games.

He'd be an idiot to keep testing fate and I give him more credit than you guys in that regard..........it's no different than learning when to give up on a dead play and throw the ball away and he's made great strides at that since 2019.

I would love Josh to run less or to get down and give himself up earlier when he does. Brandon Beane would too. By Beane's own admission it is the one thing he tells Josh off for. They have been banging away at that message for 4 years. But when the lights are on Josh is Josh. 

I am all for building the oline. I still think the oline is the reason Kansas City were hosting and not travelling in the playoffs last year. It cost us games. I was on the "draft Trevor Penning" horse as early as the middle of last season as you know before his stock sky rocketed out of our reach. I very much doubt there will be a viable tackle option there for us at #25 and I don't think the two guards are elite talents. So I get back to Booth or receiver. 

But whatever we draft I don't think it is going to change Josh. If he thinks he can hurdle for that critical 1st down he is going to do it. And I will wince every time. But I doubt he ever stops. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Why?  Because it doesn’t fit the corner crowd’s narrative. You are correct though. We had a 7th rounder and UDFA playing corner for a large part of the season and they did fine. I’m sick of hearing about corner. There are a select few on this board that make it unbearable for the rest of us. Those that can see the bigger picture knows the way to build a winning football team is adding to the offense. A handful of cheap one year deals doesn’t “fix” anything. We need to get younger and cheaper and make life easier on our franchise quarterback. 

1 hour ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

It CAN be addressed. Many of us are just saying it doesn’t HAVE to be in the 1st round. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Many of us are just saying it doesn’t HAVE to be in the 1st round. 

Indeed it needs to be addressed. And it doesn't have to be round 1. But if Andrew Booth is there it should be in my view. Not because I am obsessed with fixing corner. But because he would be comfortably BPA in a premium position in my book. Conversely if they went Trent McDuffie there I would be underwhelmed and will be looking very closely at what receivers they left on the board. Because he is a "fix corner" high floor but lower ceiling type pick IMO. 

So there is a world in which I will be delighted with corner in round 1 and a world in which I would be critical of it. Comes down to the player and the talent not just the position.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed it needs to be addressed. And it doesn't have to be round 1. But if Andrew Booth is there it should be in my view. Not because I am obsessed with fixing corner. But because he would be comfortably BPA in a premium position in my book. Conversely if they went Trent McDuffie there I would be underwhelmed and will be looking very closely at what receivers they left on the board. Because he is a "fix corner" high floor but lower ceiling type pick IMO. 

So there is a world in which I will be delighted with corner in round 1 and a world in which I would be critical of it. Comes down to the player and the talent not just the position.

Ok…this is a good point. But there are a lot of people blowing off about corner having to be the pick no matter what cause it’s our biggest need. Many want to trade up, which i think would be downright foolish considering what is asked of the corners in this defense. Not to mention, that McD is the best in the sport at developing corners. 

As for Andrew Booth…his measurables are elite, but read what is said about his weaknesses in this scouting report:

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/lists/andrew-booth-jr-scouting-report-2022-nfl-draft-clemson-tigers-football/

To sum it up…he is prone to getting burnt deep and doesn’t have great recovery speed, which means he “stays burnt”.

I’m sorry guys, but that’s the gist of my argument. Why spend a first rounder on a corner, when most of these elite receivers are constantly beating them over the top?  It makes no sense to me. 

Keep stacking the offense and let other teams spend high picks on corners that can’t keep up with our speed. it’s what the chiefs have done and part of what has made them successful. 

Edited by whorlnut

48 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Ok…this is a good point. But there are a lot of people blowing off about corner having to be the pick no matter what cause it’s our biggest need. Many want to trade up, which i think would be downright foolish considering what is asked of the corners in this defense. Not to mention, that McD is the best in the sport at developing corners. 

As for Andrew Booth…his measurables are elite, but read what is said about his weaknesses in this scouting report:

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/lists/andrew-booth-jr-scouting-report-2022-nfl-draft-clemson-tigers-football/

To sum it up…he is prone to getting burnt deep and doesn’t have great recovery speed, which means he “stays burnt”.

I’m sorry guys, but that’s the gist of my argument. Why spend a first rounder on a corner, when most of these elite receivers are constantly beating them over the top?  It makes no sense to me. 

Keep stacking the offense and let other teams spend high picks on corners that can’t keep up with our speed. it’s what the chiefs have done and part of what has made them successful. 

Yea I think that scouting report is baloney. I have him graded as the 4th best player in the draft. 

Edited by GunnerBill

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I think that scouting report is baloney. I have him graded as the 4th best player in the draft. 

If Booth is there I am running to the podium

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

No offense, but I’ll take the real scout’s word for it. Do you do it for a living?

Whorlnut.....come on man

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.