Time to speculate about the Colts’ QB situation [Speculation over, Matt Ryan is their guy]

Tipster19

On 3/20/2022 at 12:48 AM, BullBuchanan said:

He doesn't have a high enough ceiling for a team with championship aspirations. He's probably best suited to a bridge QB role for a team that isn't trying to compete right away. Only the Commanders seemed to fit that bill, but they chose Wentz. Seattle is lying to themselves that they can still compete with whatever vet option they bring in and Pittsburgh think maybe the jury is still out on Trubisky. There aren't that many jobs this year that make sense for a QB that couldn't outplay Ryan Tannehill or Derek Carr. If Atlanta moves Ryan, he could make sense there. otherwise, look for him to sign another one year deal and go to a team hitting a rebuild next season.

I think he fills the same role as Tyrod Taylor for a team.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/falcons-paying-marcus-mariota-241875m-over-2-years-per-report/ar-AAVlaZk

Well then.

On 3/20/2022 at 9:27 AM, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

In his latest attempt at grooming a quarterback, he groomed Wentz right outta town …

Well,  he’s looking closer and closer to a backup given Matt Ryan took the Indy job, and Marriott’s took the Falcons gig.  Winston went back to NO.

That leave Seattle and Carolina.  It’s not looking good for BM.

The smartest thing for Mayfield to do is to collect his $18+ million salary for 2022 and compete with Brissett for the starting job in Cleveland until Watson comes back from (a probable) suspension.  Start the season & use it to get your next contract with a possible mid-season trade in the mix.  If Mayfield can light it up early, it's a win-win for him & the Browns since he can be traded & sign an extension & the Browns can get a lot more than they can currently get.  This works if both sides start acting like adults, which might be next to impossible.  

On 3/21/2022 at 4:42 PM, Chaos said:

He seems to have been available. 

PFT: "Ryan noted that while he initially thought he might get forced into a trade, when the Falcons didn’t land Watson, he had a choice between staying in Atlanta or heading to the Colts."

and then

“I just knew with the roster that they talked about, the belief in the players that they have here, the belief in the way that they do things — the time was just right for me and I felt like I needed to do it. I was up in my house and I was in my office and I came downstairs and my wife was like, ‘You look different.’ I knew kind of at that point that was the direction we wanted to go. It took some time to really think it through and discuss it, and when we did we came to that conclusion.”

So as to the speculation, he could have chosen to stay in Atlanta but he made himself available to moving on.

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Time to speculate about the Colts’ QB situation [Speculation over, Matt Ryan is their guy]
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.