How much did you pay for gas and groceries today?

17 hours ago, sherpa said:

Cater was a disaster in every sense. To claim it was an "oasis" is insanity.

Inflation was becoming a problem during the Ford years, but nothing like what happened during the Carter term.

His solution to an unnecessary energy crisis was to turn down thermostats.

Absolutely no leadership.

Left the military in shambles, leading to massive retention problems  and very dangerous readiness issues.

He was despised by the officer corps.

He was also a rude, arrogant phony, who put the US at risk by not allowing the "football," the nuc codes to be brought into Plains when he was there.

The reason he got demolished in his reelection campaign was certainly not because he was "an oasis of good government."

Even the Dems despised him, resulting in a challenge from Kennedy. 

By the way, the Federal Reserve is an independent entity. 

Loony! 

How many members of Carter's administration ended up in jail? The military was in shambles when he inheriated it. You do remember Vietnam, right? Drugs, massacres and AWOL, oh my. Carter was an improvement. 

You remember Stagflation, right? When did that begin? Not under Carter

Carter appointed Volker. He solved the inflation problem. 

You are just following the simplistic media narrative. 

• Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Loony! 

How many members of Carter's administration ended up in jail? The military was in shambles when he inheriated it. You do remember Vietnam, right? Drugs, massacres and AWOL, oh my. Carter was an improvement. 

Carters' horrible administration led to. Reagan getting 489 electoral. 

The election was held on November 4, 1980.[85] Ronald Reagan and running mate George H. W. Bush defeated the Carter-Mondale ticket by almost 10 percentage points in the popular vote. The electoral college vote was a landslide, with 489 votes (representing 44 states) for Reagan and 49 for Carter (representing six states and Washington, D.C.). Republicans also gained control of the Senate for the first time since 1954

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Loony! 

I have zero interest in arguing these with you.

I am extremely aware of the status of the military during the Carter term, and I could relate a number of anecdotal examples.

They sent some Washington bureaucrat to meet with the entire non carrier deployed officers where I was stationed, and the guy had no idea.

We walked out of there shaking our heads.

He was unaware of even basic circumstances and that resulted in a great deal of extremely talented people leaving.

His handling of the Iran hostage thing was terrible, as was his moronic rescue attempt, and make no mistake, he ran that disaster.

His term was noteworthy in the national malaise that resulted in his landslide loss.

I'm not sure Volker or Carter when you are referring to when you say "he solved the inflation problem."

Volker was an inflation hawk who kept rates high for an extended period and was a very successful Fed Chair.

To say that anyone "cured" inflation is is a remarkably simplistic view.

Inflation results when too much money chases too few goods and services.

Keep interest rates high and the economy will eventually slow down to moderated the problem.

I liked Volker a lot. I can't stand Carter as president, though I have no issue with his post presidency legacy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I have zero interest in arguing these with you.

And yet...

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I am extremely aware of the status of the military during the Carter term, and I could relate a number of anecdotal examples.

And before it? 

This was not under Carter

image.png.3b2fcd461193b3b4a3320af3946369f9.png

• Eyeroll 1

Washington, DCCNN — 

US economic growth was even stronger in the third quarter than previously estimated, underscoring the economy’s remarkable resilience in the face of elevated inflation and high borrowing costs earlier this year.

Gross domestic product, the broadest measure of economic output, rose at an annualized rate of 5.2% from July through September, according to the Commerce Department’s second estimate, released Wednesday morning. GDP is adjusted for inflation and seasonal swings.

Wednesday’s latest estimate reflects an even faster pace of growth than the blistering 4.9% rate the department initially estimated.

After a robust third quarter, the US economy is widely expected to grow at a much slower rate in final months of the year as pandemic savings dwindle and interest rates remain at a 22-year high.

The US economy grew by 5.2% in the third quarter, even faster than previously estimated | CNN Business     led by the S&P7 and not much else.

Americans’ total credit card balance is $1.079 trillion in the third quarter of 2023, according to the latest consumer debt data from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. That’s up from a record $1.031 trillion in the second quarter of 2023, leaving the balance the highest since the New York Fed began tracking in 1999.

Credit Card Debt Statistics for 2023 (wallethub.com)

Edited by Tommy Callahan
  • Shocked 1

36 minutes ago, sherpa said:

They sent some Washington bureaucrat to meet with the entire non carrier deployed officers where I was stationed, and the guy had no idea.

We walked out of there shaking our heads.

He was unaware of even basic circumstances and that resulted in a great deal of extremely talented people leaving.

Ya sure 

37 minutes ago, sherpa said:

His term was noteworthy in the national malaise that resulted in his landslide loss.

Or, that Reagan's team talked to Iran to not release the hostages ... No hostage crisis, Reagan loses. 

38 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I'm not sure Volker or Carter when you are referring to when you say "he solved the inflation problem."

Volker was an inflation hawk who kept rates high for an extended period and was a very successful Fed Chair.

To say that anyone "cured" inflation is is a remarkably simplistic view.

Inflation results when too much money chases too few goods and services.

Keep interest rates high and the economy will eventually slow down to moderated the problem.

I liked Volker a lot. I can't stand Carter as president, though I have no issue with his post presidency legacy. 

Yup, pushing up interest rates slows growth=less inflation. Reagan kept Volker on for a reason. His plan, which Carter endorsed, worked. 

BTW, what was worse, Eagle Claw or Beirut bombing? 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

You do remember Vietnam, right? Drugs, massacres and AWOL, oh my. Carter was an improvement. 

I am picking just this part because it came up this week with my 13 year old daughter. She was reading some crap comparing the Israeli military to the US military in Vietnam in a negative light. The vast majority of American soldiers, and Israeli soldiers now, did their jobs and served with honor, a few did terrible things but because politicians thought it was easier to simply paint them all poorly. In any large group you will find scum and and pretending that those few are the rule is what evil people do. I know you did not go to Vietnam but it does not surprise me that the people you surround yourself with believe our soldiers were the problem, maybe go meet some Vietnamese people who might have a greatly different perspective.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Orlando Tim said:

I am picking just this part because it came up this week with my 13 year old daughter. She was reading some crap comparing the Israeli military to the US military in Vietnam in a negative light. The vast majority of American soldiers, and Israeli soldiers now, did their jobs and served with honor, a few did terrible things but because politicians thought it was easier to simply paint them all poorly. In any large group you will find scum and and pretending that those few are the rule is what evil people do. I know you did not go to Vietnam but it does not surprise me that the people you surround yourself with believe our soldiers were the problem, maybe go meet some Vietnamese people who might have a greatly different perspective.

Sure, the politicians put the troops in a bad situation. And the results wee what they were. High drug use, unprofessionalism and worse 

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Sure, the politicians put the troops in a bad situation. And the results wee what they were. High drug use, unprofessionalism and worse 

As I said it is not surprising to me that you surround yourself with people who call out troops the problem. You stated massacres in your diatribe, while I am aware of My Lai what other ones are you discussing?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

hell yeah. Obama had the perfect MO on war. Drones to new theatres. Just blow-up brown people, and as long as Americans are not dying, No one said a damn word outside whistleblowers that were attacked by the media and DOJ.

and you know the drone operators didn't suffer any mental health problems from all the carnage s\

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Ya sure 

Calling me a liar again?

For the rational people here.....

I had just joined my fleet squadron and there was a huge exodus of Naval Aviators.

Carter had just made some incredibly stupid comment indicating he had no idea of the reality.

Anyway, the Administration teamed with the Navy and sent the DCNO Air Warfare, (under the Chief of Naval Operations are the three combatant commanders, Deputy Chief of Naval Ops Air, Sub and Surface), on a dog and pony show to the the three west coast tacair Naval Air Stations.

Accompanying DCNO Air was some guy from the Carter Admin.

Q and A followed, and the guy knew nothing of the issues. Nothing.

As a super junior new guy, I knew nothing, but I watched my fellow, more senior officers walk out of that shaking their heads.

When the report of this "visit" was published it completely avoided any of the substantive points and claimed guys were getting out because their wasn't enough flying at sea.

Total BS.

Anyway, you suggesting I am lying is a bridge you have burned, and I couldn't care less.

Carter was a horrible president, an atrocious Commander in Chief and an ass to White House and Secret Service staff.

No way to know, but the claim that without the hostage crisis he would have been reelected is nonsense.

His own party mounted a primary challenge, and he was crushed in the regular election.

Off topic, but for Canadian viewers, your Air Force is undergoing similar problems that the US did under Carter.

This youtube is only three days ago.

Not good for Canada or NATO.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Calling me a liar again?

For the rational people here.....

I had just joined my fleet squadron and there was a huge exodus of Naval Aviators.

Carter had just made some incredibly stupid comment indicating he had no idea of the reality.

Anyway, the Administration teamed with the Navy and sent the DCNO Air Warfare, (under the Chief of Naval Operations are the three combatant commanders, Deputy Chief of Naval Ops Air, Sub and Surface), on a dog and pony show to the the three west coast tacair Naval Air Stations.

Accompanying DCNO Air was some guy from the Carter Admin.

Q and A followed, and the guy knew nothing of the issues. Nothing.

As a super junior new guy, I knew nothing, but I watched my fellow, more senior officers walk out of that shaking their heads.

When the report of this "visit" was published it completely avoided any of the substantive points and claimed guys were getting out because their wasn't enough flying at sea.

Total BS.

Anyway, you suggesting I am lying is a bridge you have burned, and I couldn't care less.

Carter was a horrible president, an atrocious Commander in Chief and an ass to White House and Secret Service staff.

No way to know, but the claim that without the hostage crisis he would have been reelected is nonsense.

His own party mounted a primary challenge, and he was crushed in the regular election.

Off topic, but for Canadian viewers, your Air Force is undergoing similar problems that the US did under Carter.

This youtube is only three days ago.

Not good for Canada or NATO.

What did Carter say, and how many aviators left?