Steelers having attendance issues...

Big Turk

14 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

What might explain it is all the player drama over the last several years (that crap gets old quickly) and a QB who should have retired five or six years ago. When they bring in Malik as their new rookie QB, they will likely promote him as the next Josh Allen, that will likely spur attendance, jmo. 

I think they o that Pittsburgh QB, kid never has to even change stadiums from college to the Pros and he will attract local  attention.

16 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Steelers ranked 29th in attendance as a percentage of capacity at 88.4%. Right behind the 28th place Jaguars and right in front of the bottom feeding Jets. Now THAT is embarrassing.  Redskins were huge losers finishing last in this metric by a mile. Bills surprisingly finished 21st at 94.7%. 6 teams finished 100% or higher.

Maybe the Bills are getting a little too much credit as a fan base overall?  Post COVID where we could barely attend any games and even when we did at very very limited capacity, and with one of the best teams we ever had, we couldn't do better than that?  That is actually kind of embarrassing for us.

image.thumb.png.054013e58c18d6a54d92645b417fd444.png

Don't discredit the local and state attendance rules in each city as it pertains to Covid. Also, don't ignore the fact that Canadians who make a substantial part of the fan base were prohibited from crossing the border. 

Edited by 3rdnlng
  • Like (+1) 1

One of the reason the Bills are pursing a stadium 60-62k (not including standing room) in capacity is because across all of sports the TV side is dominating where it is truthfully more comfortable, better to watch with how TV's have such clarity and camera angles, and most importantly cheaper then in person. I believe it was Tyler Dunne who had the figure that based on market size Buffalo's stadium is actually over what is required for the area in terms of seat numbers and the 60-62k is far more in line from what should be our base compared to the 70k. COVID obviously had a huge impact on many stadiums attendance this year and the Steelers have been in a more down pattern after decades of success. With that said though I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers themselves in the future take out a few 1000 seats to create more party deck area's and standing room which would lower the overall stadium capacity artificially while also creating the popular seating area's many of todays fans like.

11 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Ben sticking around kept the fans away, who were wanting a new QB.  He fooled himself into thinking he "still had it" with that winning streak the previous season.

I buy that, with Ben you knew your ceiling even when they had a better year like 2020 when you could see they were a paper tiger. I have a buddy in PA who is a Steeler fan and he has wanted a new QB for about 3 years as you could see it was time. Moving on from a guy who is a legend to your team is tough, but failing to do so prolongs the inevitable and also stunts your teams future.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

hard to argue with Steeler fan loyalty the way they show up at away games... amazing

the in stadium experience seems to have gone downhill over the years.   slobbering drunks standing the entire game ranting and raving is not exactly worth a couple hundred bucks per seat (unless you are one of the slobbering drunks)... looks like Heinz fields needs to find 5 or 10k more slobbering drunks to stand and curse for their stadium... shouldn't be that hard.   one out of their mind standing-the-whole game drunk can wipe out the game for half a section behind them, driving the need for more slobbering drunks, maybe thats the problem -- one slobbering stand-the-whole-game drunk loses you 10 season ticket holders sitting behind him.. hmmm

Same problem at Bills home games, even w Josh Allen.   At my age, I am not standing the whole game.  And, I am totally intolerant of drunks. (I might punch one out if he stumbles into me , as Toby Keith says, "I am as good once as I ever was")

57 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

More Rosens than Allens it would seem. 😁

That's the way it has always been: far more duds than studs.   Most QB classes produce 1 or fewer franchise QBs, and truly elite QBs like Mahomes and Allen come along even more infrequently.

3 minutes ago, corta765 said:

One of the reason the Bills are pursing a stadium 60-62k (not including standing room) in capacity is because across all of sports the TV side is dominating where it is truthfully more comfortable, better to watch with how TV's have such clarity and camera angles, and most importantly cheaper then in person. I believe it was Tyler Dunne who had the figure that based on market size Buffalo's stadium is actually over what is required for the area in terms of seat numbers and the 60-62k is far more in line from what should be our base compared to the 70k. COVID obviously had a huge impact on many stadiums attendance this year and the Steelers have been in a more down pattern after decades of success. With that said though I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers themselves in the future take out a few 1000 seats to create more party deck area's and standing room which would lower the overall stadium capacity artificially while also creating the popular seating area's many of todays fans like.

Most stadiums built since 2000 have capacities around 70k or less.  Stadium Capacities

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ben was the top passer in  3 seasons ago. #5 4 seasons ago.

How will they promote that after week 1?

Good question, again I didn’t say I agree that he is, 

Just now, SoTier said:

That's the way it has always been: far more duds than studs.   Most QB classes produce 1 or fewer franchise QBs, and truly elite QBs like Mahomes and Allen come along even more infrequently.

Most stadiums built since 2000 have capacities around 70k or less.  Stadium Capacities

Except seemingly recently with Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow(will soon be in that class IMO), and possibly Murray and Jackson all in that classification within the last few years.

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Perfect for teams...they can charge more per ticket, ensure packed stadiums and get more luxury box revenue, which doesn't need to be shared.  Probably end up making more than if they had a larger stadium where they'd have to drop prices to fill it up.

I live in PGH.  The fans are fair-weather.  If they had a 17 year drought like the Bills did, the stadium would have been empty every week.    I get boycotting the Pirates, their owner does not care about winning.  But the empty seats last year was pathetic.  

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Except seemingly recently with Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow(will soon be in that class IMO), and possibly Murray and Jackson all in that classification within the last few years.

Perfect for teams...they can charge more per ticket, ensure packed stadiums and get more luxury box revenue, which doesn't need to be shared.  Probably end up making more than if they had a larger stadium where they'd have to drop prices to fill it up.

I  think that it's a bit early to declare Herbert and Burrow as elite, but they seem the most likely to join the club.  I think that DeShaun Watson might possibly be elite but he may have derailed his career with his off-field behavior.  I just don't see Murray and Jackson being elite in the same way as Mahomes and Allen.   I'm not saying they aren't franchise quality QBs but they're  more limited than Mahomes and Allen, especially in the passing game.

Sometimes great QBs come in clusters ... think of the 1983 draft that produced Elway, Kelly, and Marino.   The 6 drafts between 2000 and 2005 produced Brady (2000), Brees (2001), Palmer (2003), E Manning (2004), Rivers (2004), Roethlisberger (2004), and Rodgers (2005), all but Palmer likely HOFers. In the 6 drafts between 2006 and 2011, the best QBs were Cutler (2006), Ryan (2008), Flacco (2008), Stafford (2009), Cam Newton (2011) and Andy Dalton (2011), none of whom are likely HOF candidates except perhaps Stafford now that he's with the Rams.

14 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I  think that it's a bit early to declare Herbert and Burrow as elite, but they seem the most likely to join the club.  I think that DeShaun Watson might possibly be elite but he may have derailed his career with his off-field behavior.  I just don't see Murray and Jackson being elite in the same way as Mahomes and Allen.   I'm not saying they aren't franchise quality QBs but they're  more limited than Mahomes and Allen, especially in the passing game.

Sometimes great QBs come in clusters ... think of the 1983 draft that produced Elway, Kelly, and Marino.   The 6 drafts between 2000 and 2005 produced Brady (2000), Brees (2001), Palmer (2003), E Manning (2004), Rivers (2004), Roethlisberger (2004), and Rodgers (2005), all but Palmer likely HOFers. In the 6 drafts between 2006 and 2011, the best QBs were Cutler (2006), Ryan (2008), Flacco (2008), Stafford (2009), Cam Newton (2011) and Andy Dalton (2011), none of whom are likely HOF candidates except perhaps Stafford now that he's with the Rams.

Oh yeah.. Watson for sure, but wonder if he ever plays again at this point.

I'm repeating what a lot of others have said, but the quality of the television broadcast is a big deal.  If your team is really really good, you are going to sell out no matter what...not because your fans are great, but people really want to be part of a crowd, a positive party atmosphere, for some to say 'I was there' when something good happens to your team. No problem with that.

But when you do have empty seats, it doesn't mean you have bad fans. It just means that there are a lot of people who USED to go to games in the past that now, they are perfectly happy paying a lot less, to sit at home, comfortable living room, any food they want to cook at reasonable prices...etc.  That doesn't make them any less of a fan.  In fact, I have a friend that played HS football, got into coaching, loves football, loves the Bills, never misses a game yet he won't go to one. Why?  He says he could always look at the all-22 later in the week, but for the gameday experience he can see a lot more overall by being at home watching the game on TV and having access to his laptop or tablet to look up things while the game is going on.

Its not just about your team, its not just about how 'good your fans are', it is about different people enjoying the gameday experience in different ways.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm repeating what a lot of others have said, but the quality of the television broadcast is a big deal.  If your team is really really good, you are going to sell out no matter what...not because your fans are great, but people really want to be part of a crowd, a positive party atmosphere, for some to say 'I was there' when something good happens to your team. No problem with that.

But when you do have empty seats, it doesn't mean you have bad fans. It just means that there are a lot of people who USED to go to games in the past that now, they are perfectly happy paying a lot less, to sit at home, comfortable living room, any food they want to cook at reasonable prices...etc.  That doesn't make them any less of a fan.  In fact, I have a friend that played HS football, got into coaching, loves football, loves the Bills, never misses a game yet he won't go to one. Why?  He says he could always look at the all-22 later in the week, but for the gameday experience he can see a lot more overall by being at home watching the game on TV and having access to his laptop or tablet to look up things while the game is going on.

Its not just about your team, its not just about how 'good your fans are', it is about different people enjoying the gameday experience in different ways.

But being behind the Jags in percent capacity?? That's inexcusable. Especially for that fanbase

Edited by Big Turk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.