Aaron Rogers in the Playoffs

PatsFanNH

On 2/12/2022 at 3:26 AM, Mr. WEO said:

His pass had zero chance of being caught in the End Zone.  Run was best chance.  Never looked.

It really wasn't zero chance. A good throw could have been a touchdown. That wasn't a good throw.

But everyone has bad throws time to time. Even the best. Even Josh Allen.

On 2/12/2022 at 11:13 AM, 78thealltimegreat said:

Top 5 all time? No way 

1 TB12 7 trophies 

2 Joe Montana 4 rings

3 Johnny Unitas 3 nfl titles and a super bowl 

4 Roger Staubach So unbelievably good that do to his military commitment he couldn’t even join the league till he was 27 and he was still voted one of the best players of all time

5 John Elway this is Josh Allen 1.0 for those of us who remember him he was as close to a one man team as anyone ever

Aarons good maybe 10ish but he’s nowhere near these guys 

Wins are a team stat. They are not a QB stat. They just aren't.

If they were you'd be forced to believe that Matt Stafford was a far below average QB for his first 12 years and then miraculously became one of the best in the league this year.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

On 2/11/2022 at 7:10 AM, PatsFanNH said:

Ok a friend of mine (a huge Rogers fan) and I are debating on how great Rogers is. He states he is top 5 all time.  I say he is maybe top 10 and that his choking in playoff games isn’t helping him. 

he points to his playoff stats 5894 yards 22 TD and 13 INT in 21 games.

I say that’s nice but just look at the last two years. In 2020 he had 3rd and Goal from the 5 and could have easily run it in and he throws it into double coverage. This year he barely gets 10 points on the 49ers, and worse fails to get even one first down deep in his own end which lead to a punt block.

I say the lack of being clutch keeps him out of the top 5. 

maybe, but especially if you break Tom Brady into Tampa Tom where he was super elite vs his time in New England, where he was just behind Manning as a QB.. 😉 

On 2/11/2022 at 5:48 AM, gonzo1105 said:

Go back and watch the 1992 AFC title game in Miami. The Dolphins won the division had home field and the Bills and Kelly in particular were incredibly sloppy. 

Lost the SB in 84, lost the AFC title game in 85, 90 Divisional round, 92 AFC title game, 94 they lost to the damn Chargers with Stan Humphries are you kidding,95 to the Bills , 97 to the Patriots, 98 to the Broncos. There is a lot of playoff failure there. 

Marino had some pretty good running backs. Problem was he called a lot of his own plays and wouldn't hand the dam ball off. Big arm, bigger ego!

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/12/2022 at 3:26 AM, Mr. WEO said:

His pass had zero chance of being caught in the End Zone.  Run was best chance.  Never looked.

image.thumb.png.fb3e5f3528f336a2b7f4d0452954c560.png

Could've been a TD if it had been a really good pass. It wasn't. It was an instant late, really.

And here's where you see the CB who is further outside than Rodgers was and was not going to have to disengage. There's a possibility Rodgers escapes him with a juke or something, but I don't think it's a very good chance.

image.png.44e58d76be71da10b4abdccbd8ef5b63.png

image.png

• Agree 1

On 2/11/2022 at 7:23 AM, PatsFanNH said:

My top all time 5 are - Brady, P Manning, Marino, Montana, and Otto Graham.

If you ding Rodgers for his playoff performances, then how can Marino stay in your top 5 over say, Elway or Kelly even? May I add that Marino not once, not ever, beat Jim Kelly in the playoffs—despite facing him there almost every year during the Bills 90’s run…as for regular season ball, Rodgers is more than on par with Marino there, imho. 

On 2/11/2022 at 7:48 AM, gonzo1105 said:

Go back and watch the 1992 AFC title game in Miami. The Dolphins won the division had home field and the Bills and Kelly in particular were incredibly sloppy. 

Lost the SB in 84, lost the AFC title game in 85, 90 Divisional round, 92 AFC title game, 94 they lost to the damn Chargers with Stan Humphries are you kidding,95 to the Bills , 97 to the Patriots, 98 to the Broncos. There is a lot of playoff failure there. 

That 92 AFC Championship featured the leg of Steve Christie in particular—Kelly was just coming back from a bad knee(?) injury and still seemed gimpy/rusty, yet was more than a match for Marino in Rich Stadium South. :thumbsup:

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

If they were you'd be forced to believe that Matt Stafford was a far below average QB for his first 12 years and then miraculously became one of the best in the league this year.

Like Joe Flacco?

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Could've been a TD if it had been a really good pass. It wasn't. It was an instant late, really.

And here's where you see the CB who is further outside than Rodgers was and was not going to have to disengage. There's a possibility Rodgers escapes him with a juke or something, but I don't think it's a very good chance.

image.png

you're wrong.  he wasn't going to run up the middle.  he would go to the right side--every defender but one is moving to his left--towards the receiver.  he had a shot to the EZ easily.

Edited by Mr. WEO

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Like Joe Flacco?

you're wrong.  he wasn't going to run up the middle.  he would go to the right side--every defender but one is moving to his left--towards the receiver.  he had a shot to the EZ easily.

I think he makes it in if he commits to it and goes 100%. 

If not, you're at the 2-3 yard line. Go for it on 4th down there. 

• Like (+1) 1

Rodgers is a great QB. I would not put him in the top 5 all time just because there are a lot of great QBs. Maybe top 10?

If he goes and wins another Superbowl or two, that changes. We'll see.

A few QBs that would be tough or impossible for him to pass up (in my mind) without more championships: Brady, Manning, Montana, Young, Elway, Graham, and Unitas.

I put Rodgers in the same category as Brees and Marino. Absolutely amazing QB's. If they could have won another championship or two (or even one for Marino), they would be top 5 easy.

16 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

image.png

Agree. I have no problem with this decision. The problem is he made the decision just a split second too late. He still might have been able to complete that pass. When Rogers lets that pass go, Adams has some room If Rogers could have put some zip on the throw and had better placement. However, it just wasn't a good pass. It fluttered when it left his hand and was on the inside of Adams.

I also think Adams could have tried to move back toward Rogers to catch that pass. It would have brought him out of the endzone, but would have been a 4th and goal from the 1 instead of the 8 if he would have caught it. Maybe they go for it on 4th instead of kicking the field goal.

123.thumb.jpg.a537b21f9f9f81371eb627076d1b81c0.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.