Building through the draft

Sharky7337

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Then this raises another concern…do we have a GM and HC that don’t have an eye for defensive talent?  I mean, all the resources that have been dumped into the defense and it’s still “not enough”?  That’s a major red flag. Do you really want them or trust them to draft the right defensive player?

Yes…Beasley is back for one more year, but now would be the perfect time to draft his replacement. If we

could add a slot with speed, could you imagine the possibilities?  Right now, we have a guy that makes the catch and falls forward. We can improve that position. 

if the GM and HC have a blind spot it is for former free agent Carolina players they know and who in turn know the defense, Star and Butler are misses, Obada was a freebie pickup, the hit and miss with the draft picks is a given with every team, I think the Carolina thing has run its course hopefully...this management team drafts well overall with lots of mid and late round hits and some early round misses such as Zay Jones and Cody Ford who will get one more shot come training camp...this is the year AJ (a second-rounder) has to step-up and show he can play well more consistently..some of which is based on reps which he was not given and or not earned

4 hours ago, whorlnut said:

So you are another advocate of ignoring offense until the mid to late rounds?  If so, I don’t know what to say. 

This is 2022…we need to keep adding to this offense and helping our best player. We aren’t stopping teams like the chiefs….you simply need to match them point for point. 

I'm not against adding to the offense 

But we basically did match them point for point

We were winning with 13 seconds left because of our offense

We need to add some offensive lineman and a running back.. we really don't need a flashy first round receiver we could get by with a good veteran with speed 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm not against adding to the offense 

But we basically did match them point for point

We were winning with 13 seconds left because of our offense

We need to add some offensive lineman and a running back.. we really don't need a flashy first round receiver we could get by with a good veteran with speed 

Getting lucky and hitting on a 5th round Tyreek Hill like KC did would be nice.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, whorlnut said:

So you are another advocate of ignoring offense until the mid to late rounds?  If so, I don’t know what to say. 

This is 2022…we need to keep adding to this offense and helping our best player. We aren’t stopping teams like the chiefs….you simply need to match them point for point. 

This is 100% accurate and true.

I feel your comments here represent the feelings of MAYBE 10% of this board.

It's hilarious but also kind of sad.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Getting lucky and hitting on a 5th round Tyreek Hill like KC did would be nice.

If teams had a clue how to evaluate talent, it wouldn't take luck.

Look at his speed and natural level of athleticism, route running ability, and hands.

How exactly was he some sort of hidden, rough cut gem?

The guy should have gone top 5 in that draft.

7 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

I know with Josh's contract kicking in now this is more important than ever.

One thing that I notice is most of our draft picks don't even really produce at a decent to good level until year 3. Sometimes later.

Now we start to see results for example on contracts like Oliver, but he likely about to get a big payday probably somewhere else we cannot match.

So we basically groomed a player for 3 years for his big payday and only got good production for maybe 1.5 to 2 years (if you pickup 5th year option)

Honestly it makes the Rams not look so crazy at times.

Do you guys think it is just our draft choices not being big hits? 

Or do you think it's the norm for the league?

It's going to be hard to improve our team if we are just grooming guys for a big payday and not seeing good cheap production earlier. 

The biggest blunders or busts look like Ford #1 bust because they could have taken either Metcalf or Brown who are star WR'S and then AJ Epenesa.  Now Epenesa still has time to get it together but so far he looks too slow and not strong enough.  Ford may not even make the roster next season and is Beane's worse high draft pick

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Redneck said:

Per Spotrak, Saquon has a $7.2M cap hit in 2022 and then is a UFA.  Wonder if a 3rd (or 2nd based on production) would do it and we extend him 1-2 years to lessen the hit?

Put me on the list as being in favor of acquiring Barkley.  

He'd be a great addition to this offense and a match-up nightmare for LBs as a receiving option. 

45 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Josh may have set the market with them. Can you honestly say they deserve more money than Allen?

no i dont think they do.... but 9 out of 10 qbs that are next man up for contract reset the market, and i dont think are worth it. so yeah, i dont see that changing. cap goes up, inflation is booming.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.