Similarities to the ‘88/‘89 Team Persist

K-9

When KC eliminated us in the 2020 AFCCG, I said the ascendancy of Josh and Co. mirrored that of Kelly and the Bills. Both led their Bills teams to the conference title game in their third year in the league. Both lost in the Divisional playoff round in their fourth year in the league. 

Several of us here also said that like that Bills team of ‘89, playing under the weight of raised expectations might lead to fewer wins this year as the team dealt with being a lead dog. We saw that happen as well. 

How far will the similarities continue next season? Might we see the first of four consecutive SB appearances? I like our chances. 

Edited by K-9

I'm over 89 and Ronnie Harmon. Josh is 10x better than Jim but with less HOF tier weapons. That's why he tries to do it all. And although we had Bruce, our defenses during the 90's were hardly dominating. Josh will need a better running game. Maybe 1 more speed WR. And especially a defense that can actually get to guys like Mahomes and  Herbert. Even the GOAT needed Beli and some dominant D's.

• Like (+1) 1

If you have the right QB, there is always a chance. It has taken us more than two decades to find the right guy.

This playoff loss hurt, but it is not the end of the road at all. A Superbowl is coming. Allen is too good to not win one. The Bills will find a way. Allen will find a way.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The late 80's and early 90's Bills team didn't have a 2020's Chiefs team to deal with every year.  I'm sick of the comparisons.

The Bills are just as good as the Chiefs, and Allen is as good as the Mahomes.  I know you are seeing things right now in a very negative light but I don’t see how any Bills fan can not be optimistic with our long-term outlook.

Why?  Because we have a top 2 QB who continues to get better.  Top 2 QB’s end up winning Super Bowls and this one will be no different.

Edited by Magox

1 hour ago, Magox said:

The Bills are just as good as the Chiefs, and Allen is as good as the Mahomes.  I know you are seeing things right now in a very negative light but I don’t see how any Bills fan can not be optimistic with our long-term outlook.

Why?  Because we have a top 2 QB who continues to get better.  Top 2 QB’s end up winning Super Bowls and this one will be no different.

I think he's better than Mahomes and I'm very optimistic about our long term outlook.  We should be fine as long as McBeane stay in place and Allen stays healthy.  There were no equal team in the early 90's though in the AFC.  Not to mention there wasn't a salary cap then, two less teams in the conference, and the NFL schedule wasn't constructed in a way that strives for parity.  People expecting four straight Super Bowl because they make some connection to the '88 and '89 Bills are delusional.

Not only is there already a thread on this point, the main thrust of the thread is equally irrelevant.

We can write paragraphs on how this team and the SB teams are NOT similar as well.

Just depends on what you arbitrarily choose to focus on.

I guess this is just a lightly veiled "feel good" thread saying next year we are going to the Super Bowl.

You don't have to reference the old Kelly/Thomas era to suggest that.

I hope it's accurate though!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.