Serious Question - Why Not Hold or Tackle WRs/TEs Every Play

sven233

Look, there are so many things that could have been done differently to finish that game.

The Bills came out in some sort of crappy prevent defense for some reason and were basically begging to get beat.  If it's me, I am doing the exact opposite.  First, I am squibbing that kickoff and taking at least 3-4 seconds off that clock.  But forget all that......  Say you want to kick it deep and try to get through the next 13 seconds.  Fine!

You only have to kill off 13 seconds.  So, line up tight, grab, hold, tackle every eligible receiver or whatever you have to do every snap and take the penalty!  It's 5 yards a pop!  If you do that 3 times, the clock is going to tick down until there is only 1 play left and they won't be anywhere near FG range.  Defend 1 play and you're there. 

So many ways to kill 13 seconds and we did none of them.  Makes me sick.  So pissed off right now.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• sven233 changed the title to Serious Question - Why Not Hold or Tackle WRs/TEs Every Play

We said this during I think I was still stunned we didn't squib it

They will never live this loss down

And losing Daboll means might as well clean f...ing house

The Bucs fired Dungy and won a SB

There is precedent but I guess that's just crazy talk.  

I'm sure the new coordinators he brings in will get the job done.   

5 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Look, there are so many things that could have been done differently to finish that game.

The Bills came out in some sort of crappy prevent defense for some reason and were basically begging to get beat.  If it's me, I am doing the exact opposite.  First, I am squibbing that kickoff and taking at least 3-4 seconds off that clock.  But forget all that......  Say you want to kick it deep and try to get through the next 13 seconds.  Fine!

You only have to kill off 13 seconds.  So, line up tight, grab, hold, tackle every eligible receiver or whatever you have to do every snap and take the penalty!  It's 5 yards a pop!  If you do that 3 times, the clock is going to tick down until there is only 1 play left and they won't be anywhere near FG range.  Defend 1 play and you're there. 

So many ways to kill 13 seconds and we did none of them.  Makes me sick.  So pissed off right now.

They are either too honest or too dumb to have thought out that strategy but yes it would have worked!

For the 3rd time (?)...

McDermott was asked this specific question about 1/2 hour ago in the post game PC.

He said they do discuss this type of thing, but he refused to actually directly address or answer any specific question about the end of the game.

I personally think there is no way in hell they discussed tackling or holding receivers in the game tonight--there was not enough time for that.

Maybe they conceptually talked about it at meeting 4 months ago or something like that.

6 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

We said this during I think I was still stunned we didn't squib it

They will never live this loss down

And losing Daboll means might as well clean f...ing house

The Bucs fired Dungy and won a SB

There is precedent but I guess that's just crazy talk.  

I'm sure the new coordinators he brings in will get the job done.   

This reads like a big fat drunken haiku. No clue wtf you are talking about, but God bless you sir!

3 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

KC receivers were so wide open we didn’t even have the option to hold them. 

Because of how we lined up.  What I am talking about doing is getting up in their face, immediately grabbing them and hauling them to the ground at the snap.  Don't let them have a chance to run anywhere.

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Belichick would straight up have his guys tackle the WR and take the 5 yard penalty and kill the clock, and everyone would be going insane.

Exactly what I am saying we should have done.  A little bush league, maybe, but we would be playing next week.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.