Josh Allen Can't Play in the Cold

hondo in seattle

50 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Here’s my take:

rewatching the Bills game this am;

3 minutes into Q2 and Josh has 4 incompletions;

really cool thinking that I get to watch about 2 hours more of football and Josh will throw a total of 0 incompletions;

his mechanics are fine - analysts have to get over their wrong preconception of his inaccuracy from 4 years ago;

Josh is a unicorn and best yet our unicorn 

His mechanics are off sometimes when he’s pressured or on the move - but that’s true of every QB

3 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Great Tweet from Rodger Sherman from the Ringer about how his perception of JA17 has changed. I think a lot of sportswriters if they could get past their preconceived notions would have similar views. The last line is epic.

Thought I would add what he said about Josh after the draft for context .. well that is a swing .. biggest loser to demigod/centaur

Rodger Sherman

"Loser: The Buffalo Bills

I would consider any team that used a first-round pick on Josh Allen to be the biggest loser of the first round. No good NFL quarterback has ever had statistics as bad as Allen’s college stats; his best-case statistical comparables include Brian Griese and Josh McCown. There are just so many videos of him missing easy passes so badly. Sure, his arm is strong enough that teams should value his potential, but “extremely strong quarterback who may never learn how to throw to receivers” seems to me like a Day 3 pick, not a first-rounder. I remain baffled that he was treated like a top prospect throughout the entire draft process.

But the Bills didn’t just draft Allen. They traded up to get him, giving up two second-round picks to move up five spots. That’s a massive overpay on any draft value chart. And then the Bills also traded a third-rounder to the Ravens to move up from the 22nd pick to the 16th to select Tremaine Edmunds.

Trading up is the move of a team in win-now mode. The Bills did so—but they selected a quarterback whose supporters even consider him a project. That doesn’t jibe. I’m so happy that the Bills got to the playoffs last year, and so confused about their future.

Winner: All the Teams That Didn’t Draft Josh Allen

Congrats to the Browns for listening to me and drafting Baker Mayfield instead of Josh Allen! Baker Mayfield was historically efficient at passing in college, setting the record for yards per passing attempt as a senior. Meanwhile, Allen averaged fewer yards per passing attempt than Rashaad Penny averaged per rushing attempt against the same competition in the Mountain West Conference.

Congrats to the Bears, who picked eighth, one slot behind where Allen was taken. Since the pick ahead of theirs was used on a quarterback who struggles to throw a football to his teammates, the Bears got to draft Roquan Smith, who, in my opinion, was the best defender in college football last year.

Congrats to the Cardinals, who picked 10th, and got to take Josh Rosen, because one of the teams ahead of them took the other Josh! Congrats to the Chargers, who got Derwin James—a projected top-10 pick—at no. 17! Congrats to the Ravens, who got Lamar Jackson—potentially the best quarterback in the draft!—with the 32nd and final pick in the first round! For the most part, life was really good for the 31 teams who didn’t take Josh Allen." 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Thought I would add what he said about Josh after the draft for context .. well that is a swing .. biggest loser to demigod/centaur

Rodger Sherman

"Loser: The Buffalo Bills

I would consider any team that used a first-round pick on Josh Allen to be the biggest loser of the first round. No good NFL quarterback has ever had statistics as bad as Allen’s college stats; his best-case statistical comparables include Brian Griese and Josh McCown. There are just so many videos of him missing easy passes so badly. Sure, his arm is strong enough that teams should value his potential, but “extremely strong quarterback who may never learn how to throw to receivers” seems to me like a Day 3 pick, not a first-rounder. I remain baffled that he was treated like a top prospect throughout the entire draft process.

But the Bills didn’t just draft Allen. They traded up to get him, giving up two second-round picks to move up five spots. That’s a massive overpay on any draft value chart. And then the Bills also traded a third-rounder to the Ravens to move up from the 22nd pick to the 16th to select Tremaine Edmunds.

Trading up is the move of a team in win-now mode. The Bills did so—but they selected a quarterback whose supporters even consider him a project. That doesn’t jibe. I’m so happy that the Bills got to the playoffs last year, and so confused about their future.

Winner: All the Teams That Didn’t Draft Josh Allen

Congrats to the Browns for listening to me and drafting Baker Mayfield instead of Josh Allen! Baker Mayfield was historically efficient at passing in college, setting the record for yards per passing attempt as a senior. Meanwhile, Allen averaged fewer yards per passing attempt than Rashaad Penny averaged per rushing attempt against the same competition in the Mountain West Conference.

Congrats to the Bears, who picked eighth, one slot behind where Allen was taken. Since the pick ahead of theirs was used on a quarterback who struggles to throw a football to his teammates, the Bears got to draft Roquan Smith, who, in my opinion, was the best defender in college football last year.

Congrats to the Cardinals, who picked 10th, and got to take Josh Rosen, because one of the teams ahead of them took the other Josh! Congrats to the Chargers, who got Derwin James—a projected top-10 pick—at no. 17! Congrats to the Ravens, who got Lamar Jackson—potentially the best quarterback in the draft!—with the 32nd and final pick in the first round! For the most part, life was really good for the 31 teams who didn’t take Josh Allen." 

Yeah, that’s a little more than “I don’t think he can play quarterback in the NFL.”  And great suggestions on the other picks, except for Derwin James who can’t stay healthy and Lamar who looks to be the same way.

3 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Great Tweet from Rodger Sherman from the Ringer about how his perception of JA17 has changed. I think a lot of sportswriters if they could get past their preconceived notions would have similar views. The last line is epic.

I definitely don’t give any credit to clowns like Sherman who were so wrong and now have no choice but to do an about face only to avoid more public humiliation. Sherman should be stripped of his manhood and never allowed to comment on draft prospects ever again. Now THAT would be something to celebrate. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.