Favre speaks up about holdouts...

yeah, while walker is a top 5 WR in the league and being paid crap -

327789[/snapback]

For crying out loud -

I swear there are 25 WR's who are "top 5".

He had a very nice year for my fantasy team. He probably was in the top 5 in stats last year.

But one of the BEST 5 WR's in the league? C'mon...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Walker should do as Brett says not as he does?

327873[/snapback]

Yes. Brett is not threatening to hold out. It appears that Walker is.

The same Favre that says I may or may not retire this year for the last five years leaving his team in limbo every year?

327873[/snapback]

I don't think he has ever held his team in limbo. Sherman told him after the season, to take as much time as he needs to make his decision on coming back in 2005.

you should get what you can, while you can.

thats fact #1.

teams dont care about players.

fans dont care about players.

all they want is to win.

yeah they make alot of money, but 80% of those players are only in football for 4 years. (its not a true stat, but im guessing...)

not all football players will be stars. or make millions of dollars a year.

its up to them to get what they can.

its up to the team to try to get him with a low contract.

and the ONLY leverage a player has is to holdout.

and you cant blame him for using his only leverage.

im not talkin about mannings 100mill contract.

im talkin about that backup or possible starter whos contract is up, or a guy who is a probowler and is paid less than the 3rd round draft pick...

we all want to get paid what we think we are worth. and we all think we are worth more than we are.

YOU DO NOT CALL OUT PLAYERS ABOUT CONTRACT DISPUTES. NOT EVEN THOSES GOING TO THE HALL ONE DAY.

you should get what you can, while you can.

thats fact #1.

teams dont care about players.

fans dont care about players.

all they want is to win.

yeah they make alot of money, but 80% of those players are only in football for 4 years. (its not a true stat, but im guessing...)

not all football players will be stars. or make millions of dollars a year.

its up to them to get what they can.

its up to the team to try to get him with a low contract.

and the ONLY leverage a player has is to holdout.

and you cant blame him for using his only leverage.

im not talkin about mannings 100mill contract.

im talkin about that backup or possible starter whos contract is up, or a guy who is a probowler and is paid less than the 3rd round draft pick...

we all want to get paid what we think we are worth. and we all think we are worth more than we are.

YOU DO NOT CALL OUT PLAYERS ABOUT CONTRACT DISPUTES. NOT EVEN THOSES GOING TO THE HALL ONE DAY.

327912[/snapback]

ok, when you prove yourself, and become a free agent, then by all means seek out the highest compensation available...something i have no doubt our "playmaker" will do this next offseason...but before then, STFU and play...you signed a damn contract, play for the contract...none of this BS bellyaching, i had 1 good year pay me a ton of money BS...

i'd like to see a team ban a player from camp and all games until he renegotiates his contract down because he sucked the previous year...

I like what Favre said but face it....Brett is the golden boy and has never been in a position like Javon is now. Once Favre became good, the Pack always took care of him. I hate guys that hold out but Favre is speaking like a fan not a guy that knows the business like he should.

I like what Favre said but face it....Brett is the golden boy and has never been in a position like Javon is now.  Once Favre became good, the Pack always took care of him.  I hate guys that hold out but Favre is speaking like a fan not a guy that knows the business like he should.

327927[/snapback]

Let me state that I am not in favor of Walkers holdout at all. I agree honor your contract. But I think Favre should stay out of it. I believe in the era of me first players that this type of calling out players could easily back fire in the locker room.

This may sound odd but it is true. Thanks to the New England Patriots success and team model, I honestly think a lot of players have changed their views on holdouts. Guys who are team players aren't going to lay down and be quiet about this junk anymore. Could you even imagine a guy having the stones to hold out on the Pats?

This may sound odd but it is true. Thanks to the New England Patriots success and team model, I honestly think a lot of players have changed their views on holdouts. Guys who are team players aren't going to lay down and be quiet about this junk anymore. Could you even imagine a guy having the stones to hold out on the Pats?

327950[/snapback]

If someone tried this crap with the pats, by the time they got out of belichick's/pioli's office, they'd find their locker cleaned out and their things in a box outside of gillette stadium...

Let me state that I am not in favor of Walkers holdout at all. I agree honor your contract. But I think Favre should stay out of it. I believe in the era of me first players that this type of calling out players could easily back fire in the locker room.

327930[/snapback]

I used to think that players should honor their contracts but I don't anymore. If the contracts were guaranteed then I would agree. Teams can cut players in the middle of a contract for underperforming so I don't see why the players shouldn't be able to do the same thing if they aren't being fairly compensated.

By the way, I think guaranteed contracts are going to be one of the sticking points in the next round of collective bargaining.

I used to think that players should honor their contracts but I don't anymore.  If the contracts were guaranteed then I would agree.  Teams can cut players in the middle of a contract for underperforming so I don't see why the players shouldn't be able to do the same thing if they aren't being fairly compensated.

By the way, I think guaranteed contracts are going to be one of the sticking points in the next round of collective bargaining.

327972[/snapback]

Lord help us. It's ruined baseball and basketball.

327912[/snapback]

The average length of NFL players careers is 3 years.

actually less, its 2. something, I forget.

The average length of NFL players careers is 3 years.

actually less, its 2. something, I forget.

327998[/snapback]

That stat is very misleading, kept down to 3-4 years because of tons of players who are not good who make rosters for one year and disappear. The average career of "good" players is probably 2-3 times that.

I understood that. But he still wasn't there. So Walker should do as Brett says not as he does? The same Favre that says I may or may not retire this year for the last five years leaving his team in limbo every year?

327873[/snapback]

You mean "according to the media", right? No one knows what has gone on between Favre and the team - just what the media reports. They're generally not full of sh-- or anything.

I used to think that players should honor their contracts but I don't anymore.  If the contracts were guaranteed then I would agree.  Teams can cut players in the middle of a contract for underperforming so I don't see why the players shouldn't be able to do the same thing if they aren't being fairly compensated.

327972[/snapback]

Ah yes, but they are guaranteed. The signing bonus is what these guys play for. Remember in the sports that do have guaranteed contracts, there is generally no signing bonus. So, in the NFL the rest of the contract is there as the negotiation by teams saying, okay, before you play a down for us, I am giving X amount of money to you upfront. However, for that you agree to play for me at X amount of dollars for this set time frame.

Now, if the owners could go back and get a signing bonus back because a guy sucks, than I agree with you. Think San Diego would have like to gotten back a piece of Leafs bonus? Or how about Atlanta with Peerless.

327930[/snapback]

I'm a bit torn, to be honest. Walker holding out is a disturbing trend in the NFL. But I don't have a problem with Favre calling him out. We've spent some time this off-season asking ourselves who is going to step up and be the leader on this new team of ours. In Green Bay, Favre is the undisputed leader so he gets graded on the curve...at least by me. He led his team to a Super Bowl victory, and has always been where he needed to be when the team absolutely needed him to be there.

Now, this is totally different than last year when Garcia tried doing it as a new quarterback on a team with problems. That was a case where he should have stayed out of it because he had not proven himself to the team yet. And sure enough, it fell flat on its face.