Favre speaks up about holdouts...

I'm a bit torn, to be honest. Walker holding out is a disturbing trend in the NFL. But I don't have a problem with Favre calling him out. We've spent some time this off-season asking ourselves who is going to step up and be the leader on this new team of ours. In Green Bay, Favre is the undisputed leader so he gets graded on the curve...at least by me. He led his team to a Super Bowl victory, and has always been where he needed to be when the team absolutely needed him to be there.

Now, this is totally different than last year when Garcia tried doing it as a new quarterback on a team with problems. That was a case where he should have stayed out of it because he had not proven himself to the team yet. And sure enough, it fell flat on its face.

328042[/snapback]

It has no meret how the public views it. If he loses his teammates respect over it is the real test. All Im saying is if Favre calls out one primmadonna then the rest will line up against Favre. Do you think there aren't a few guys in that lockerroom thinking " Hey if I were in Javon's shoes I'd be pissed". As there may be guys saying " You tell 'em Brett". Hatfields and McCoys type lockerroom.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favre should mind his own business.

327790[/snapback]

It is his business his #1/#2 Wide out aint around to practice. Being that he's the QB, i think it's his business. Honor your contract is right. I wish all GM's got togetehr and agreed to not honor holdouts whatsoever.

This may sound odd but it is true. Thanks to the New England Patriots success and team model, I honestly think a lot of players have changed their views on holdouts. Guys who are team players aren't going to lay down and be quiet about this junk anymore. Could you even imagine a guy having the stones to hold out on the Pats?

327950[/snapback]

Yeah, I think the Bills signed him.

It is his business his #1/#2 Wide out aint around to practice.  Being that he's the QB, i think it's his business.  Honor your contract is right.  I wish all GM's got togetehr and agreed to not honor holdouts whatsoever.

328079[/snapback]

Obviously your "Hooked On Phonics" order is holding out as well.

That stat is very misleading, kept down to 3-4 years because of tons of players who are not good who make rosters for one year and disappear. The average career of "good" players is probably 2-3 times that.

328004[/snapback]

I'd like to know what the average career is for a starter, or someone who started most of their career.

I have no problem with Favre calling out Walker, just in the way he did it. The mistake he made was going public with his concerns over Walker's holdout. Why not pick up the phone and express your concerns directly to Walker, instead of using the newspaper as your personal messenger service.

I have no problem with Favre calling out Walker, just in the way he did it.  The mistake he made was going public with his concerns over Walker's holdout.  Why not pick up the phone and express your concerns directly to Walker, instead of using the newspaper as your personal messenger service.

328130[/snapback]

Bingo!

you should get what you can, while you can.

thats fact #1.

teams dont care about players.

fans dont care about players.

all they want is to win.

yeah they make alot of money, but 80% of those players are only in football for 4 years. (its not a true stat, but im guessing...)

not all football players will be stars. or make millions of dollars a year.

its up to them to get what they can.

its up to the team to try to get him with a low contract.

and the ONLY leverage a player has is to holdout.

and you cant blame him for using his only leverage.

im not talkin about mannings 100mill contract.

im talkin about that backup or possible starter whos contract is up, or a guy who is a probowler and is paid less than the 3rd round draft pick...

we all want to get paid what we think we are worth. and we all think we are worth more than we are.

YOU DO NOT CALL OUT PLAYERS ABOUT CONTRACT DISPUTES. NOT EVEN THOSES GOING TO THE HALL ONE DAY.

327912[/snapback]

I agree 100%. While I hate the aspect of players holding out, the NFL (for how great of a league it is) stands for Not For League. If Willis blews out his knee tomorrow (seriously knocking on some wood) and is forced to retire, what do you think the Bills are gonna do? They looking for a new rb and trying to find a way to get out of paying his whole contract. It's a cold business and you have to get the money while it's there. Now I hate the guarantee contracts in baseball and basketball because players aren't forced to give there all. However, in a sport like football, non-guaranteed contracts is pretty tough. And as fans, do you give a crap what happens do guys like Brandon Spoon or someone who gets injured and can't the tema anymore? Henry's situation is the perfect example of this. He was a second round pick who became a pro bowler who signed a very discounted contract. So how do the Bills reward him, draft a running back in the first round. How do the fans, who once loved him as a warrior who played through injuries, treat him now they we have Willis??? He a POS, he's dumb, he's a criminal? Though I hate the greed, it's appear that players are just simply interchangable parts and when they are of no use, they are thrown away. So I say screw it, if the team wants to pay more, then get your money. And as fans, we love to say players are greedy and selfish but if the situations were reversed, we all we would be doing the same thing. Sorry for the ramblings.... Roushaus is a a douce still though.

I agree 100%.  While I hate the aspect of players holding out, the NFL (for how great of a league it is) stands for Not For League.  If Willis blews out his knee tomorrow (seriously knocking on some wood) and is forced to retire, what do you think the Bills are gonna do? They looking for a new rb and trying to find a way to get out of paying his whole contract.  It's a cold business and you have to get the money while it's there.  Now I hate the guarantee contracts in baseball and basketball because players aren't forced to give there all.  However, in a sport like football, non-guaranteed contracts is pretty tough.  And as fans, do you give a crap what happens do guys like Brandon Spoon or someone who gets injured and can't the tema anymore?  Henry's situation is the perfect example of this.  He was a second round pick who became a pro bowler who signed a very discounted contract.  So how do the Bills reward him, draft a running back in the first round.  How do the fans, who once loved him as a warrior who played through injuries, treat him now they we have Willis???  He a POS, he's dumb, he's a criminal?  Though I hate the greed, it's appear that players are just simply interchangable parts and when they are of no use, they are thrown away.  So I say screw it, if the team wants to pay more, then get your money.  And as fans, we love to say players are greedy and selfish but if the situations were reversed, we all we would be doing the same thing.  Sorry for the ramblings.... Roushaus is a a douce still though.

328137[/snapback]

You bring up some valid points regarding spoon and all, but i'd personally feel a bit different if TH wasnt a whiny crybaby B word about his situation...

I agree 100%.  While I hate the aspect of players holding out, the NFL (for how great of a league it is) stands for Not For League.  If Willis blews out his knee tomorrow (seriously knocking on some wood) and is forced to retire, what do you think the Bills are gonna do? They looking for a new rb and trying to find a way to get out of paying his whole contract.  It's a cold business and you have to get the money while it's there.  Now I hate the guarantee contracts in baseball and basketball because players aren't forced to give there all.  However, in a sport like football, non-guaranteed contracts is pretty tough.  And as fans, do you give a crap what happens do guys like Brandon Spoon or someone who gets injured and can't the tema anymore?  Henry's situation is the perfect example of this.  He was a second round pick who became a pro bowler who signed a very discounted contract.  So how do the Bills reward him, draft a running back in the first round.  How do the fans, who once loved him as a warrior who played through injuries, treat him now they we have Willis???  He a POS, he's dumb, he's a criminal?  Though I hate the greed, it's appear that players are just simply interchangable parts and when they are of no use, they are thrown away.  So I say screw it, if the team wants to pay more, then get your money.  And as fans, we love to say players are greedy and selfish but if the situations were reversed, we all we would be doing the same thing.  Sorry for the ramblings.... Roushaus is a a douce still though.

328137[/snapback]

You need to quit sniffing jocks. So what if a superstar spoiled athlete blows his knee and is done? If some deskjockey somewhere has a heartattack or some traveling salesman loses his sight in some freak kiln explosion and can't work anymore are you crying for them? Should their companies fork over a huge chunk of cash because they can no longer fulfill their duties and it's not fair?

Fug these athletes. Support them in holding out because their contract, that they signed, isn't big enough? You gotta be fuggin' kidding me. The Vet Minimum is more than they deserve to play a game that kids and a lot of grownups play for free for the sheer enjoyment of it. If they get hurt, hello social security. Treat them like pseudo-royalty? Bite me.

Fug Walker. Fug Terrel Owens. Fug all the other players of that **** Rosenhaus that he talked into holding out. And yes, if McGahee decides to play the hold-out game, fug him too.

You need to quit sniffing jocks. So what if a superstar spoiled athlete blows his knee and is done? If some deskjockey somewhere has a heartattack or some traveling salesman loses his sight in some freak kiln explosion and can't work anymore are you crying for them? Should their companies fork over a huge chunk of cash because they can no longer fulfill their duties and it's not fair?

Fug these athletes. Support them in holding out because their contract, that they signed, isn't big enough? You gotta be fuggin' kidding me. The Vet Minimum is more than they deserve to play a game that kids and a lot of grownups play for free for the sheer enjoyment of it. If they get hurt, hello social security. Treat them like pseudo-royalty? Bite me.

Fug Walker. Fug Terrel Owens. Fug all the other players of that **** Rosenhaus that he talked into holding out. And yes, if McGahee decides to play the hold-out game, fug him too.

328162[/snapback]

What are you trying to say Gavin? :doh:0:)

328137[/snapback]

Don't bring up TH, his "discounted" contract is a result of his personal financial mismanagement. If he doens't spend all his cash, he would have cashed in on a reneged contract. We wouldn't have drafted WM (IMHO) because we wouldn't have questioned our ProBowl RB's smarts.

What are you trying to say Gavin?  :doh:  0:)

328168[/snapback]

I'm saying hold-outs should be cut immediately. Any players union of any pro sport that goes on strike, sh---can the players and bring in replacements the very next fuggin' day! Half the players seeing the owners are serious would cross the picket line within a week. Fug the other half.

328162[/snapback]

*stands, and applauds*

Bravissimo! Not bad for a mullet!

i'd like to see a team ban a player from camp and all games until he renegotiates his contract down because he sucked the previous year...

327924[/snapback]

happens all the time. players are often told to restructure your contract or they will be cut.

do you have a problem with the chargers TE who was a undrafted FA, and paid the minimum salary and 2 years later is a probowl TE who helped turn his team from last in the NFL to a playoff team, should keep being paid that minimum salary??

im sure he would dissagree. and so would i.

your only 1 play away from a carrer ending injury. no more pay checks. what you have in the bank has to last the rest of your LIFE. do you think these players can go from starting WR in the NFL to bottom of the pole, entry level, live in a cubical job??

328162[/snapback]

First of all, are blowing out a knee and having a heart attack the same thing??? Come on now. If desk jockey blows out his knee, he can still work. And there's a reason why the market is the way it is. Namely us the fans created it. If people would spend billions of dollars watching construction workers, they would be millionaires. We as fans spend the money to watch a "kids game."The money is there. And my main point is that for all the guys like TO(who I can't stand), there are those guys who are the 52 or 53 guy o n the roster who get hurt and no one gives a crap about them. Owner will cut them in a heartbeat. And they ain't millionaires. Life is a hustle. Get it while you can. Again I hate the holdouts, but I just can understand the players' point.

First of all, are blowing out a knee  and having a heart attack the same thing???  Come on now.  If desk jockey blows out his knee, he can still work.  And there's a reason why the market is the way it is.  Namely us the fans created it.  If people would spend billions of dollars watching construction workers, they would be millionaires.  We as fans spend the money to watch a "kids game."The money is there.  And my main point is that for all the guys like TO(who I can't stand), there are those guys who are the 52 or 53 guy o n the roster who get hurt and no one gives a crap about them.  Owner will cut them in a heartbeat.  And they ain't millionaires.  Life is a hustle.  Get it while you can.  Again I hate the holdouts, but I just can understand the players' point.

328210[/snapback]

It would be a shame if these primadonnas had to fall back on and use the free education they were given....err received. :blink:

I'm saying hold-outs should be cut immediately. Any players union of any pro sport that goes on strike, sh---can the players and bring in replacements the very next fuggin' day! Half the players seeing the owners are serious would cross the picket line within a week. Fug the other half.

328182[/snapback]

Think about that for a minute. If Willis holds out and Shaud Williams is the Bills starting rb and the Bills finish 4-12, what do you think crowds would be like at the Ralph? They won't be sells out I guarantee and that's a big loss of money to Mr. Wilson. I just love how the players are always wrong, but the owners are the ones who are profiting more than anyone.