Politics in Sport

18 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

No no no no....

You prove to us that mainstream conservative opinions can be found on ESPN or the Athletic or the Ringer or every Sports section of every major paper in America

Find me ONE who stood up for Drew Brees

Find me one who stood up for Cole Beasely 

Who died and left you boss?   My question was for another poster who made a statement that he can't support.  YOU don't get to deflect MY challenge to that poster with your whataboutism, so unless you have a response pertinent to my challenge to that poster's BS -- like providing even a single specific example of a "lefty journalist" inserting his/her "opinions and lies" into sports, including naming said journalist  -- butt out.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Too many examples to list. Maybe you don’t peruse sports articles very often. There’s been a lot of these things with the events of the last few years. Use your imagination if you can’t think of any. It’s not surprising because liberal ideas / opinions are often stated as accepted fact in mainstream media pieces. 

How about just a few? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

Who died and left you boss?   My question was for another poster who made a statement that he can't support.  YOU don't get to deflect MY challenge to that poster with your whataboutism, so unless you have a response pertinent to my challenge to that poster's BS -- like providing even a single specific example of a "lefty journalist" inserting his/her "opinions and lies" into sports, including naming said journalist  -- butt out.

Ok low info.

I'll let your own Commie friends tell you:

Sportswriting Has Become a Liberal Profession — Here’s How It Happened

Donald Trump’s election was merely an accelerant for a change that was already sweeping across sports journalism

In 2017, it’d be hard to find a communist covering the Grapefruit League. But it’s easy to find a sportswriter who is infused with Rodney’s passion, his crusading spirit.

Today, sportswriting is basically a liberal profession, practiced by liberals who enforce an unapologetically liberal code. As Frank Deford, who joined Sports Illustrated in the ’60s, told me, "You compare that era to this era, no question we are much more liberal than we ever were before."

In the age of liberal sportswriting, the writers are now far more liberal than the readers. "Absolutely I think we’re to the left of most sports fans," said Craig Calcaterra, who writes for HardballTalk. "It’s folly for any of us to think we’re speaking for the common fan."

There was a time when filling your column with liberal ideas on race, class, gender, and labor policy got you dubbed a "sociologist." These days, such views are more likely to get you a job.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/2/16/16042460/how-sportswriting-became-a-liberal-profession-dc7123a5caba

see ya goodbye GIF by WWE

Have a nice day.

Edited by Big Blitz

22 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Find me one who stood up for Cole Beasely 

You would have to be a moron to stand up for Cole Beasely putting himself before the team all season with his constant complaining.

He made it political with his tweets and posts (that he said he would stop - which he lied about).

Notice every other unvaccinated player on the team got little to no vitriol. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, 716er said:

You would have to be a moron to stand up for Cole Beasely putting himself before the team all season with his constant complaining.

He made it political with his tweets and posts (that he said he would stop - which he lied about).

Notice every other unvaccinated player on the team got little to no vitriol. 

Cole Beasley wasn’t   the problem.  He’s just a guy with a voice who chose to use it.   I really have seen zero pushback from his teammates that indicate he was persona non grata. 

I have seen lots of people on the board with feedback ranging from support of Beasley to support of people who booed him.    The vitriol came from that crowd.

What struck me as weird was as the season ended, it seemed to me the tone changed from some folks being up in arms about Beasley and the health and safety of fellow man to hand wringing about the availability of a gladiator(s) to perform in the Coliseum on  any given Sunday. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Ok low info.

I'll let your own Commie friends tell you:

Sportswriting Has Become a Liberal Profession — Here’s How It Happened

Donald Trump’s election was merely an accelerant for a change that was already sweeping across sports journalism

In 2017, it’d be hard to find a communist covering the Grapefruit League. But it’s easy to find a sportswriter who is infused with Rodney’s passion, his crusading spirit.

Today, sportswriting is basically a liberal profession, practiced by liberals who enforce an unapologetically liberal code. As Frank Deford, who joined Sports Illustrated in the ’60s, told me, "You compare that era to this era, no question we are much more liberal than we ever were before."

In the age of liberal sportswriting, the writers are now far more liberal than the readers. "Absolutely I think we’re to the left of most sports fans," said Craig Calcaterra, who writes for HardballTalk. "It’s folly for any of us to think we’re speaking for the common fan."

There was a time when filling your column with liberal ideas on race, class, gender, and labor policy got you dubbed a "sociologist." These days, such views are more likely to get you a job.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/2/16/16042460/how-sportswriting-became-a-liberal-profession-dc7123a5caba

see ya goodbye GIF by WWE

Have a nice day.

Are you referring to me as "low info"?   Well, when it comes to "low info", you certainly know what you're talking about.

You're rebuttal is a gigantic FAIL because Bryan Curtis' Twitter rant is just a litany of his grievances against mainstream social and political thought bleeding into sports reporting.  He's pissed off because newspapers and tv/radio outlets don't advocate for

• the NFL team in Washington, DC to keep its racist "Redskins" nickname;
  • the continuation of the exploitation of amateur athletes by colleges and universities; or  
  • banning LGBT athletes from sports.

He also doesn't like that sports journalists report on athletes making/taking right wing political statements or actions that subject them to criticism from the Left but he's okay with the opposite.   Curtis also whines about journalists daring to express their own political views on Twitter, although that's which is EXACTLY what he does.   He's the quintessential right wing pot whining about left wing kettles.

Curtis doesn't mention a single instance of a currently employed "leftist journalist" spreading his/her ideology on mainstream media, either print or video. :doh:

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

You're rebuttal is a gigantic FAIL because Bryan Curtis' Twitter rant is just a litany of his grievances against mainstream social and political thought bleeding into sports reporting. 

He's the quintessential right wing pot whining about left wing kettles.

Curtis doesn't mention a single instance of a currently employed "leftist journalist" spreading his/her ideology on mainstream media, either print or video. :doh:

Dude.  You don't even know the guy who wrote that is himself a liberal and freaking says so in the article:

"If it hasn’t seeped into the preceding paragraphs, I’m a liberal sportswriter myself."

That followed up him telling all the ways in which sports journalism is dominated by leftists and if you aren't one good luck finding a job.  

You clowns decided years ago you can't win any debates on logic or facts.  So you redefined "facts," and banned from your State Run Social media sites anyone that disagrees.  

True liberals would oppose such censorship nor care that the person they hired isn't a far left loon and *gasp* might just be someone that hunts and has a "Let's Go Brandon" shirt.  

But you aren't true liberals.  You're fascists. 

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Sportswriting is a liberal profession but that is because the divide in moden society seems to be univeristy educated vs not university educated. University educated are generally socially liberal and non-university educated are generally socially conservative.  It is the same in Britain. Journalism is a job you generally need university education for (I say that as someone who went to university, studied journalism and law, and worked briefly as a journalist). Therefore it is, in general, a liberal profession. Law is the same. Doesn't mean there are not conservative journalists and conservative lawyers, but there are fewer. 

Is there some influence of that in our sports media now? Sure. Is it any different to the way in which the media reinforced comservative beliefs 40 years ago when it was a more conservative profession? Also no. 

Politics in sport is not something new. It is not something being forced by a liberal metropolitan media elite onto sports that were previously untainted by political influence. It has been there for generations and the people who object now are simply the people who find the message conflicts more with their world view than the old message did. 

Oh and finally, leftist and liberal are not the same thing. Only in America do those two ideas get confused. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Sportswriting is a liberal profession but that is because the divide in moden society seems to be univeristy educated vs not university educated. University educated are generally socially liberal and non-university educated are generally socially conservative.  It is the same in Britain. Journalism is a job you generally need university education for (I say that as someone who went to university, studied journalism and law, and worked briefly as a journalist). Therefore it is, in general, a liberal profession. Law is the same. Doesn't mean there are not conservative journalists and conservative lawyers, but there are fewer. 

Is there some influence of that in our sports media now? Sure. Is it any different to the way in which the media reinforced comservative beliefs 40 years ago when it was a more conservative profession? Also no. 

Politics in sport is not something new. It is not something being forced by a liberal metropolitan media elite onto sports that were previously untainted by political influence. It has been there for generations and the people who object now are simply the people who find the message conflicts more with their world view than the old message did. 

Oh and finally, leftist and liberal are not the same thing. Only in America do those two ideas get confused. 

I will disagree with you on the political part being there for generations- I grew up in Rochester and the political part was saved for other sections of the D &C. Jemele Hill is someone who made her name making sports political, all while not really being concerned by factual accuracy, which I doubt would have been accepted 40 years ago. Sports used to be the refuge from the rest of the world back when Jordan said " Republicans buy shoes also". 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I will disagree with you on the political part being there for generations- I grew up in Rochester and the political part was saved for other sections of the D &C. Jemele Hill is someone who made her name making sports political, all while not really being concerned by factual accuracy, which I doubt would have been accepted 40 years ago. Sports used to be the refuge from the rest of the world back when Jordan said " Republicans buy shoes also". 

I can't comment specifically on publications you read, obviously, but there was politics in sports reporting 40 years ago. You want an example look at how the death of Jerry Smith was covered. I am not saying it was homophobic but it certainly was trying to avoid facing some uncomfortable realities. Sport has never been a refuge from politics. It is only that when the perspective isn't challenging your own preconceptions you don't notice it is there. That is true of most people.

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I can't comment specifically on publications you read, obviously, but there was politics in sports reporting 40 years ago. You want an example look at how the death of Jerry Smith was covered. I am not saying it was homophobic but it certainly was trying to avoid facing some uncomfortable realities. Sport has never been a refuge from politics. It is only that when the perspective isn't challenging your own preconceptions you don't notice it is there. That is true of most people.

I just Googled Jerry Smith and you will have to give me a more info on who that is, because it is far too common a name. But I realize your argument is likely based in the fact that we were so Pro American during the 1991 Super Bowl as political, which is sad that see recognizing our greatness as a nation as political 

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I just Googled Jerry Smith and you will have to give me a more info on who that is, because it is far too common a name. But I realize your argument is likely based in the fact that we were so Pro American during the 1991 Super Bowl as political, which is sad that see recognizing our greatness as a nation as political 

Jerry Smith is a former Washington tight end who came out as gay after his career ended and died in the AIDs epidemic of the 1980s. 

And I am afraid I am going to say patriotism is political. By its very nature. It is a value. Your values are your politics. That doesn't make it bad. Something being political never makes it bad in and of itself. Political doesn't mean red vs blue or left vs right it doesn't mean paritisan. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Jerry Smith is a former Washington tight end who came out as gay after his career ended and died in the AIDs epidemic of the 1980s. 

And I am afraid I am going to say patriotism is political. By its very nature. It is a value. Your values are your politics. That doesn't make it bad. Something being political never makes it bad in and of itself. Political doesn't mean red vs blue or left vs right it doesn't mean paritisan. 

I will submit that you and I will never agree, and anyone who understands history and the current state of the world who appreciates freedom is pro American. If you think freedom is a political viewpoint we will never agree. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Which part of my comment do you disagree with? 

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That somehow disagreeing with you suggestes I don't understand either history or the current state of the world.

So do  you believe that someone else promotes freedom better than the USA? I also stated that we will disagree that promoting freedom should not be seen politically, which does not infer your lack understanding but simply points out a basic concept we disagree on.

6 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

So do  you believe that someone else promotes freedom better than the USA? I also stated that we will disagree that promoting freedom should not be seen politically, which does not infer your lack understanding but simply points out a basic concept we disagree on.

Promoting anything is political. Freedom is a pretty uncontroversial thing to promote but it is also a pretty broad concept. In order to promote freedom there are a number of choices that need to be made underneath that about how a society functions. All of which will be political choices. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I will submit that you and I will never agree, and anyone who understands history and the current state of the world who appreciates freedom is pro American. If you think freedom is a political viewpoint we will never agree. 

How precisely does one view freedom?  A fair question posed by Gunner Bill.  Is it extreme libertarianism, along the lines of "nobody can make me wear a mask in Target?"  Or is it something else?

Maybe Buffalo Timmy and those of his political orientation can chew on this.  It's good food for thought and it echoes what Gunner Bill is getting at:

"Real liberty for all could not exist under the operation of a principle which recognizes the right of each individual person to use his own, whether in respect of his person or his property, regardless of the injury that may be done to others."

On 1/10/2022 at 4:01 PM, Big Blitz said:

Dude.  You don't even know the guy who wrote that is himself a liberal and freaking says so in the article:

"If it hasn’t seeped into the preceding paragraphs, I’m a liberal sportswriter myself."

That followed up him telling all the ways in which sports journalism is dominated by leftists and if you aren't one good luck finding a job.  

You clowns decided years ago you can't win any debates on logic or facts.  So you redefined "facts," and banned from your State Run Social media sites anyone that disagrees.  

True liberals would oppose such censorship nor care that the person they hired isn't a far left loon and *gasp* might just be someone that hunts and has a "Let's Go Brandon" shirt.  

But you aren't true liberals.  You're fascists. 

I love how 716 responded to you. Lol, he tucked his tail between his legs and disappeared. He’s such a clown.

• Like (+1) 1