Fourth & two TD Davis - Where was that call when the Bills needed it????

Billsfan1972

I see your point,  but I think you got to understand the situation as there's context IMO.

Carolina was in desperation mode and they were selling out for the run.

A first down is basically the same thing as a TD in that scenario, so they had to be aggressive and sell out.

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Agree 5

13 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Daboll pulls it out with the Bills way up vs. Carolina.

When we needed it vs. NE or TB, no it is runs, ill designed plays or fade patterns.

This is what Bills fans want, Allen in motion and and options.....

Who else thought this?????

Maybe he thought to himself, ya know I should try something different.

48 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I see your point,  but I think you got to understand the situation as there's context IMO.

A first down is basically the same thing as a TD in that scenario, so they had to be aggressive and sell out.

This ^^^^

It's a lot easier to pull off a play in that situation when the opponent is out of options and needs a stop.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Exactly.  They aren't trotting out Davis and Kumerow on third and goal against the Bucs.  That said the OP is correct.  Hate the fade pattern. Give JA options.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Plus it's a bit easier to surprise people with stuff like that when your run game is really working, as it clearly was today.

And as for no creativity in those earlier games, I think that's mostly confirmation bias. We lost, so we remember things as bad.

The first play in the red zone at Tampa had Allen in shotgun with McKenzie to his left, Knox comes in motion right.turns around and sprints left. At the snap, McKenzie sprints right in front of Allen, Allen fakes to him. Two WRs on the left side pin block in, the way the Pats did so successfully against us.

Looks set to be a successful run, everyone blocked, but Davis' pin block isn't quite quick or strong enough, so Dawkins has to help him a bit, leaving Dawkins' man free to set the edge and destroy what looks at first like a nice play getting Allen to the edge. Interesting, unusual, but not executed well.

Same drive, their first red zone drive, the third drive, (2Q, 13:36) the one that ended in a field goal, on 3rd and goal, they get Davis really free in the back of the end zone but Josh throws over his head and out of the end zone. Should've been a score. Bad execution.

It's not that they weren't creative. They got a guy open in the end zone. They just didn't connect.

On their first TD, Allen's 18 yard run, the QB draw was executed just perfectly, a really smart call they weren't expecting. Beautifully blocked, beautifully schemed.

People tend to think like this ... it worked, so the players were fantastic, or it didn't work, so it was Daboll's fault if it wasn't some trickeration, and if it was he should've gone with something more basic because they were moving the ball with more standard passes and runs, so why change.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 4

11 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Daboll pulls it out with the Bills way up vs. Carolina.

When we needed it vs. NE or TB, no it is runs, ill designed plays or fade patterns.

This is what Bills fans want, Allen in motion and and options.....

Who else thought this?????

I simply thought that carolina was only playing the run and that the game was in deep garbage time.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

This ^^^^

It's a lot easier to pull off a play in that situation when the opponent is out of options and needs a stop.

We’ll in each case the teams were desperate, Buffalo succeeding meant a loss for Titans, Patriots, and Tampa. Really there was no difference….

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.