Poyer on sobriety

Beerball

I saw some of his old Instagram videos and lives when he was drinking and he was often on there in a state where he was clearly quite out of it. This was during the spring and summer so not in-season as it were but I did think at times, man when this dude drinks he DRINKS. It is such an easy path to go down though. I enjoy a drink, it is part of helping me unwind. There are days where I get home from the office at 9pm having been out 12 hours, I am mentally exhausted and actually a nice glass of wine is part of the unwinding process, but I am always very conscious of the fact that can become a habit and a crutch and I always make sure to build breaks in to stop that routine becoming set. I can imagine the pressure of performing weekly in front of 70,000 makes that crutch very attractive. Good for Jordan that he made a clean break. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I saw some of his old Instagram videos and lives when he was drinking and he was often on there in a state where he was clearly quite out of it. This was during the spring and summer so not in-season as it were but I did think at times, man when this dude drinks he DRINKS. It is such an easy path to go down though. I enjoy a drink, it is part of helping me unwind. There are days where I get home from the office at 9pm having been out 12 hours, I am mentally exhausted and actually a nice glass of wine is part of the unwinding process, but I am always very conscious of the fact that can become a habit and a crutch and I always make sure to build breaks in to stop that routine becoming set. I can imagine the pressure of performing weekly in front of 70,000 makes that crutch very attractive. Good for Jordan that he made a clean break. 

You should take the marijuana.  Your liver will thank you.

I listened to a Mickey Mantle interview a few years before he died.  He basically said being famous is what made him an alcoholic.

Every time he would go out, bartenders would give him free drinks and fans wanted to buy him a drink....he just wouldn't turn it down to be rude.  It was basically every day.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You should take the marijuana.  Your liver will thank you.

I listened to a Mickey Mantle interview a few years before he died.  He basically said being famous is what made him an alcoholic.

Every time he would go out, bartenders would give him free drinks and fans wanted to buy him a drink....he just wouldn't turn it down to be rude.  It was basically every day.

Yes being so awesome definitely leads to my drinking problems too lol

I have the same problem when I go out with friends to the bar.. there's a handful of bar maids in my town that will serve me free drinks the entire night 

It definitely has made me drink more and I have a very addictive personality so I should watch it

Thank you for posting this. Very powerful story. It sounds like he has suffered some trauma from his parents’ drinking, and when he gets emotional talking about his daughter possibly wondering if Jorden’s alcoholism is because of her, it’s clear he has had those thoughts as a child himself. ODAT Jorden!

Edited by WotAGuy

59 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I have the same problem when I go out with friends to the bar.. there's a handful of bar maids in my town that will serve me free drinks the entire night 

My brother owned a bar when I was in college, and when I was home for breaks, I'd work there. I got to be friends with the bartenders and the regulars, and people often wanted to buy me a drink. One time, I'd really had enough and didn't want another, but a friend/regular customer insisted. The bartender winked at me and poured me a club soda with lime. Looks just like a gin and tonic, so you can let someone buy you a "drink" without going overboard on alcohol.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.