Why do the Game Threads Get Locked?

T&C

2 minutes ago, T&C said:

Just wondering... seems kind of odd... no more replies to posts or takes that happen during the game. Seems like a waste of typing in a way.

Why don’t you PM a mod and ask them instead of making a thread about it?

At BBMB, you would have given an infraction for starting a thread like this.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Tangential:

There has been a dramatic shift here lately with what seems like new-ish posters and what types of posts. I’ve noticed there have been a lot more new threads after kickoff. 

I don’t mind being critical. But calling people ######s. Personal insults because a player celebrates after making a play (while the game is still winnable), the personal attacks at guys on the roster is not cool even a little. 

I don’t mind being critical of the roster or players. Being critical is sort of my homeostasis. I don’t mind talking politics on the main page either. But there have been some new ish posters making everything personal and disrespectful. 

But to your point, threads get locked because the game or half is over. It helps organize information. I’ve been to other boards where threads are 100’s of pages long and it makes having conversations tough. I like it this way personally. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1st and 2nd half threads are for when the game is actually happening. When the half is over, threads get locked. Then the post game thread starts. No reason to keep the 1st half thread open in the 2nd half. No reason to keep the 2nd half thread open for the post game discussion. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Mango said:

Tangential:

There has been a dramatic shift here lately with what seems like new-ish posters and what types of posts. I’ve noticed there have been a lot more new threads after kickoff. 

I don’t mind being critical. But calling people ######s. Personal insults because a player celebrates after making a play (while the game is still winnable), the personal attacks at guys on the roster is not cool even a little. 

I don’t mind being critical of the roster or players. Being critical is sort of my homeostasis. I don’t mind talking politics on the main page either. But there have been some new ish posters making everything personal and disrespectful. 

But to your point, threads get locked because the game or half is over. It helps organize information. I’ve been to other boards where threads are 100’s of pages long and it makes having conversations tough. I like it this way personally. 

Thanks man... a logical reply. The thing is, its only 1 game... so I don't see it going on that long, just till the next one. Why lock it... the idea is to have people discuss what they've already written without having to start over on another newer thread... but, maybe not.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, T&C said:

Thanks man... a logical reply. The thing is, its only 1 game... so I don't see it going on that long, just till the next one. Why lock it... the idea is to have people discuss what they've already written without having to start over on another newer thread... but, maybe not.

I think the thought is that if it’s important it will come back at the end of the game. Otherwise the board on game day would be 6 version of “this defense sucks” or “can’t believe the refs missed that hold”. 

1 hour ago, T&C said:

Just wondering... seems kind of odd... no more replies to posts or takes that happen during the game. Seems like a waste of typing in a way.

It’s a reasonable ask.  To be honest, at this point to me it’s largely tradition.

I think at one point we broke them up because if they got too long, the server would slow and hang trying to load the thread, but I don’t think that happens now.

Last off season (though it may have been longer) Scott made a thread asking for input on how to do the gameday threads differently/better.  The general consensus seemed to be they were fine like they were, so that’s how they stayed.

18 minutes ago, T&C said:

Yeah, I think the original feeling was that if there were points to discuss in depth (vs hot takes during the game) people will break them out into different threads after the game

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It’s a reasonable ask.  To be honest, at this point to me it’s largely tradition.

I think at one point we broke them up because if they got too long, the server would slow and hang trying to load the thread, but I don’t think that happens now.

Last off season (though it may have been longer) Scott made a thread asking for input on how to do the gameday threads differently/better.  The general consensus seemed to be they were fine like they were, so that’s how they stayed.

Thank you for this. The main reason I don't participate in them is that I know that whatever reaction/insight into the game I have won't ever be replied to after the game... and vice versa to me replying to them.

IMO this board moves too fast after a game day and keep it keeps moving to after the game commentary due to the number of posts/thread length would be prohibitive. Maybe a compromise would be to close it for a time immediately after the game and reopen it later? If the 2BD regs speak on this that'd be grand.

noones thoughts are a waste of time even if you dont get to reply to them. JMO

11 minutes ago, Muppy said:

IMO this board moves too fast after a game day and keep it keeps moving to after the game commentary due to the number of posts/thread length would be prohibitive. Maybe a compromise would be to close it for a time immediately after the game and reopen it later? If the 2BD regs speak on this that'd be grand.

???

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

???

Im sorry I'll clarify..I meant the amount of POSTERS who are partaking of the website after the game day thread and posts relating to all the things during the game would be uber long..... I dunno its a discussion it carries forward I guess....

14 minutes ago, Muppy said:

So if I’m parsing this correctly, you’re suggesting re-opening the pregame, 1st and 2nd half threads for additional commentary after the game?

We could do that if folks want to go back in there and carry on a discussion.

Another way to do it would be to start a new thread and link in posts from the GTD to serve as a basis for discussion.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

If we're getting blown out by halftime, the game is over. Therefore new threads should be allowed.

At Chuck E Cheese, you would have given a balloon for starting a thread like this.

We actually do allow new threads during the game, but they have to be legit substantive different threads

Not just 12 versions of game day hot takes like “Allen sucks” and “fire McDermott”

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So if I’m parsing this correctly, you’re suggesting re-opening the pregame, 1st and 2nd half threads for additional commentary after the game?

We could do that if folks want to go back in there and carry on a discussion.

Another way to do it would be to start a new thread and link in posts from the GTD to serve as a basis for discussion.

whatever you all braintrust decide is fine by me. I was just schmoozing ideas 🙂....I think its fine the way it is. *shrugs*

Edited by Muppy

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We actually do allow new threads during the game, but they have to be legit substantive different threads

Not just 12 versions of game day hot takes like “Allen sucks” and “fire McDermott”

I'm just mentioning that it would be nice to discuss a game thread after the game is over, that is all really. Don't really see how that could affect any server nowadays. Thanks for listening and the replies.

6 minutes ago, T&C said:

I'm just mentioning that it would be nice to discuss a game thread after the game is over, that is all really. Don't really see how that could affect any server nowadays. Thanks for listening and the replies.

It’s always reasonable to ask questions about why we do things as we do.  Sometimes it’s just habit.  

We can re-open them and see if they’re popular to continue discussion. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beast said:

Why don’t you PM a mod and ask them instead of making a thread about it?

At BBMB, you would have given an infraction for starting a thread like this.

100%.  Same dude banned me for taking @jrober38 to task for his QB whispering, i.e. "we need to sign Cutler" -- a thread that went on for like 200 pages.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I wonder why there can't just be a single "Colts Game" thread. It starts right after the previous game ends, and it's the gameday thread, prediction thread, postgame thread all in one. Hard to continue discussuons when threads are locked.

The complaint people have raised there is that one giant thread becomes unwieldy and difficult to find individual discussions.

So that’s why we went with multiple threads, but the only ones that get locked are the pregame, 1st half, and 2nd half threads because of their time dependent and transient nature.

Everything else stays open and anyone can loop back and discuss.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It’s always reasonable to ask questions about why we do things as we do.  Sometimes it’s just habit.  

We can re-open them and see if they’re popular to continue discussion. 

Follow up: @T&C @Muppy I brought it up in the mod’s forum.  I also re-opened the threads pending discussion/decision so if you have something you want to go in and discuss, Have At It

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.