Thursday nite football: Broncos at Browns

Hapless Bills Fan

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This triggered me to wonder if Allen is making our O-line look better in a way that the RB's can't.  Allen has elite escapeability and this hides the lines deficiencies.  Our RB's on the other hand are not elite and so no hole = no gain.

Yep. Kind of like Russell Wilson in the last few years of the Seahawks. His immense talent and escapability hide some huge problems on the O line and with the running game in general. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This triggered me to wonder if Allen is making our O-line look better in a way that the RB's can't.  Allen has elite escapeability and this hides the lines deficiencies.  Our RB's on the other hand are not elite and so no hole = no gain.

There's no question. 

OTOH when a team has an elite run game, like Tennessee, Cleveland, or Dallas, they typically also do have an elite run blocking OL and that's sometimes under- appreciated.  Not that Henry isn't a Terror, but he was somehow much less of a terror his first 2 seasons under Mike Mularky as HC

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's no question. 

OTOH when a team has an elite run game, like Tennessee, Cleveland, or Dallas, they typically also do have an elite run blocking OL and that's sometimes under- appreciated.  Not that Henry isn't a Terror, but he was somehow much less of a terror his first 2 seasons under Mike Mularky as HC

IIRC, Henry was even rumored to be on the trade block a few games into his 3rd season. Gossip had it they would have moved him for a day 3 pick. No one jumped on it. Then that huge primetime game happened where he broke out. Then it kept happening. I'm betting more than a few GMs regret not making that move. 

8 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Except for the Bills.  Which tells me it’s a scheme/blocking issue as much as anything.  

Wasn't it last year we started out running poorly as well when we had Lee Smith inactive? Then we activated him and could move the ball on the ground with some success? I kinda miss Lee Smith right about now.

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Wasn't it last year we started out running poorly as well when we had Lee Smith inactive? Then we activated him and could move the ball on the ground with some success? I kinda miss Lee Smith right about now.

Well, maybe not the Lee Smith, but a block-first TE does have value. And they're always out there and available ...

6 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Our already mediocre RB's are further exposed by our OL.  I believe our OL rates out slightly above average in pass protection but they still suck at run blocking. We can win enough games every year to make the playoffs,  but if you want to win an AFCCG or SB you better have some semblance of a run game.

14 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He got a career extension as a starter because of that run as a starter on an elite-talent team in NO, but he is NOT a capable starting QB. He is now in Steve DeBerg territory—as Bill Walsh once said about the latter, he’s good enough to get you fired.

Truth. Love it!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.