Lindell, another look

Mickey

I am glad to hear so many people express confidence in Lindell and I hope it rubs off on me but I am afraid he will give us something to worry about all year.

He made plenty but he wasn't challenged much this year to hit anything long and when he was, he did not fare well. I won't bother listing all the 25 yarders he nailed since there is no diputing that from close in, he was sharp all year, well almost all year.

Against the Jags he missed from 42 and we lost by 3, youch.

Against Oakland we punted from the Raider 37 rather than try a 54 yarder which, though admittedly out of most kicker's ranges is the type of kick the elite guys, the guys on playoff teams, are able to make. In fact, we passed up similar opportunites because of his limited range 7 times.

He missed from 43 at home against the Fins with the score Miami 10, Bills 7

He missed in Miami from 38 and of course, there is the now infamous 38 yard miss against Pittsburgh.

For my money, I wouldn't trust him at any distance in a high pressure, must make situation. Apart from that, he is adequate from inside 35 to 40 yards. I just don't think you get far in to the playoffs with a kicker like that. I hope TD is thinking about this even if there really is no better option for us at the moment.

I am glad to hear so many people express confidence in Lindell and I hope it rubs off on me but I am afraid he will give us something to worry about all year.

323482[/snapback]

You won't hear any confidence from this poster regarding Lindell. None. There's a reason the coaches don't trust him to win games for them.

The two positions that are under pressure to win games for a team are QB and Kicker. We've done something about the QB that couldn't carry the team on his shoulders, but not the kicker. This is a concern.

Lindell is not good! Why he was signed to a long term contract is beyond me...his best seasons, pre-Buffalo, were mediocre at best...I understand that sometimes guys have bad years early on, but finally start "clicking" (see the kid in Cincinnati, who we had, and whose name escapes me), but Lindell had had plenty of time to "click". It still hasn't happened. One might argue that he limited our offense almost as much as our former starting QB did.

I am glad to hear that TD at least considered the possibility of drafting Nugent, because it indicates that he realizes that kicker is a position that needs an upgrade...I am hoping for some serious competition for Lindell this summer.

I have not seen Lindell's numbers right next to Doug Brien's but it looks to me like Brien has made many more long kicks - yes, he choked last year in the Jets second playoff game but he nailed the winner in OT vs the Chargers.

Can someone make a direct comparison? - I am on the run today and can't do it myself right now.

I have not seen Lindell's numbers right next to Doug Brien's but it looks to me like Brien has made many more long kicks - yes, he choked last year in the Jets second playoff game but he nailed the winner in OT vs the Chargers.

Can someone make a direct comparison?  - I am on the run today and can't do it myself right now.

323515[/snapback]

I'd rather have Lindell... Brien missed two PATs against Buffalo in '02, allowing us to beat the Vikings in OT.

I don't want to cringe everytime we line up for a PAT.

CW

Can someone make a direct comparison?  - I am on the run today and can't do it myself right now.

323515[/snapback]

You make the call....seems pretty clear to me.

Ryan Lindell

+------------------+------------+

| Field Goals | PAT |

+----------+------------------+------------+--------+

| Year TM | Made ATT PCT | Made ATT | Points |

| 2000 sea | 15 17 88.2 | 25 25 | 70 |

| 2001 sea | 20 32 62.5 | 33 33 | 93 |

| 2002 buf | 23 29 79.3 | 38 38 | 107 |

| 2003 buf | 17 24 70.8 | 24 24 | 75 |

| TOTAL | 75 102 73.5 | 120 120 | 345 |

Doug Brien:

| Field Goals | PAT |

| Year TM | Made ATT PCT | Made ATT | Points |

| 1994 sfo | 15 20 75.0 | 60 62 | 105 |

| 1995 nor | 12 17 70.6 | 16 16 | 52 |

| 1995 sfo | 7 12 58.3 | 19 19 | 40 |

| 1996 nor | 21 25 84.0 | 18 18 | 81 |

| 1997 nor | 23 27 85.2 | 22 22 | 91 |

| 1998 nor | 20 22 90.9 | 31 31 | 91 |

| 1999 nor | 24 29 82.8 | 20 21 | 92 |

| 2000 nor | 23 29 79.3 | 37 37 | 106 |

| 2001 tam | 5 6 83.3 | 2 2 | 17 |

| 2002 nyj | 5 6 83.3 | 5 7 | 20 |

| 2003 nyj | 27 32 84.4 | 24 24 | 105 |

| TOTAL | 182 225 80.9 | 254 259 | 800 |

To be honest... I cringe when Lindell lines up for the PAT.  I hate having NO CONFIDENCE in our kicker at all.

323533[/snapback]

Lindell is extremely mediocre and not to be trusted, and we definitely could use an upgrade, but I think he has never missed an extra point in his entire career.

man, i miss the days of steve christie. it's just not good when you breathe a sigh of relief at a made 35-yard FG.

i want to see lindell kicking lots of 40+ yarders in preseason, because honestly, i don't think the bills are going to make a move here. it would be too expensive.

You always manage to find a rose... Kickers are paid to make clutch field goals, not extra points.

Lindell is extremely mediocre and not to be trusted, and we definitely could use an upgrade, but I think he has never missed an extra point in his entire career.

323571[/snapback]

You always manage to find a rose... Kickers are paid to make clutch field goals, not extra points.

323612[/snapback]

Thinking about lindell and his PAT streak reminds me of John Carney 2 years ago who basically cost the saints a playoff spot after the saints scored some crazy td against the jags than lined up for the PAT and Carney Shanked it saints lost 20-19

Lindell while accurate from 25-40 yards Most of the time inspires no confidence to have a game resting on his leg. While obviousily the Adam Vinatieri's and that guy from the texans who seems to kick 50 yard fg's with ease everytime I see houston and your david akers don't come along everyday, Kicker is a definite position on this team in need of upgrade.

He missed in Miami from 38 and of course, there is the now infamous 38 yard miss against Pittsburgh.

For my money, I wouldn't trust him at any distance in a high pressure, must make situation.  Apart from that, he is adequate from inside 35 to 40 yards.  I just don't think you get far in to the playoffs with a kicker like that.  I hope TD is thinking about this even if there really is no better option for us at the moment.

323482[/snapback]

That was a 28 yarder vs Pitt

323612[/snapback]

I wasn't trying to find a rose, I think Lindell probably needs to go, I was just pointing out to Buckeye that he can relax during extra points and doesn't need to waste any energy unless it's a FG 20 yards or more. 0:)

Excuse me, Losers, but you have not been listening to our General Manager, the esteemed Mr. Tom Donohoe who has tried to inform all you LOSERS that we are L-U-C-K-Y to have whats-his-face as our kicker.

GET WITH THE PROGRAM YOU MALCONTENTS!

If a win depends on a kicker making a fieldgoal with only a second left on the clock can you think of ANYONE in the league you would want more than Lindell?

Didnt think so!

Fair enough.

I wasn't trying to find a rose, I think Lindell probably needs to go, I was just pointing out to Buckeye that he can relax during extra points and doesn't need to waste any energy unless it's a FG 20 yards or more.  0:)

323666[/snapback]