In-Roster Offensive Line Option

SCBills

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Every season is a new season and should be treated as such.......if people are going to cry about the offensive line as last year then they should also give the same cred to the team that made it to the AFC Championship (and had a runner up NFL MVP on the roster)

People are picking and choosing.......to fit their own agenda right now

Or they are talking like it is and the 2020 season NO LONGER matters.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think we are better run blocking. Until Pitt were in more of a prevent Singletary was averaging less than 3.5 per carry. 

I don't know what the fix it. Maybe trade for a guard? It is hard with our cap situation.

The guy carried the ball all of 6 times up to that point. Listen to most of the great RBs (and I’m not calling Motor great) they say they need to carry the rock before they get going. Motor ended the game with a 7 yd per carry avg. Only thing that concerns me with him is ball security. Same with Josh.

1 hour ago, BBills88 said:

How about Draft some young nasty guards. 

KC did. Stole one in the 6th round.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Bobby like I said........people are picking and choosing.   If you choose to see the sky is falling I can offer them a umbrella.

I am going to treat like game one

No on is picking in choosing, and I do not think I read to much that says people are saying the sky is falling, But should we not call out the pathetic performance on Sunday?

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Every season is a new season and should be treated as such.......if people are going to cry about the offensive line as last year then they should also give the same cred to the team that made it to the AFC Championship (and had a runner up NFL MVP on the roster)

People are picking and choosing.......to fit their own agenda right now

I don't think they are...

Most fans on here, on Twitter, etc.., were clamoring to upgrade the IOL.  

Many also wanted to upgrade CB2.  

I know we have limited resources, but we re-signed our worst starting OL, who again got DESTROYED yesterday and spent a 2nd Round Pick on a pass rusher who's not even active opening day.  

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

No on is picking in choosing, and I do not think I read to much that says people are saying the sky is falling, But should we not call out the pathetic performance on Sunday?

Bobby....yes it was a bad performance

but people are taking it further then that

McD is a bad coach........what?

Gabe Davis should get more targets then Diggs......what?

and on and on

Just now, SCBills said:

I don't think they are...

Most fans on here, on Twitter, etc.., were clamoring to upgrade the IOL.  

Many also wanted to upgrade CB2.  

I know we have limited resources, but we re-signed our worst starting OL, who again got DESTROYED yesterday and spent a 2nd Round Pick on a pass rusher who's not even active opening day.  

The WHOLE STARTING OL got destroyed yesterday....it was a group effort not one player

I thought Hayward was definitely dominating. Watt was able to free up in large part to Hayward decimating his matchups. We always seem to struggle against the elite power guys. As do lots of teams. I think it’s a horrible idea to move Williams inside. 
As someone really familiar with Carolina who has followed them pretty closely for the last 10 years or so (I’m no expert and don’t study film etc etc) but Williams was a pretty big failure in carolina when they moved him around the line. Just because he’s played other positions does not mean he’s above average at other spots. We do know for a fact he’s above average at RT though. That’s never been a question. Teams make adjustments. We did not. They could have easily slowed that pass rush with their play calling but for whatever reason they didn’t even try. 

Bobby....yes it was a bad performance

but people are taking it further then that

McD is a bad coach........what? - Have not read that, was he bad on Sunday ABSOLUTELY he was.  

Gabe Davis should get more targets then Diggs......what? Have not read that either.

and on and on

The WHOLE STARTING OL got destroyed yesterday....it was a group effort not one player - Actually Dawkins (even with the holds) wasnt really bad, but wasnt himself, and Williams wasnt really bad either IMO.  Now the interior play was HS like, and yes that should be discussed.

Comments in Bold

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The WHOLE STARTING OL got destroyed yesterday....it was a group effort not one player

Absolutely the whole OL struggled, but we knew coming into the season that interior offensive line was an issue at points last year.  Dawkins/Williams were not.  

I'm willing to give the two Tackles that weren't an issue last year a pass.   

I'm not willing to give a guy like Feliciano that pass.   It's now an ongoing theme with him. 

Edited by SCBills

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

C'mon.... Dawkins - Morse - Feliciano - Williams are the mainstays.  You're squabbling over Ford getting injured and then Boettger taking over.  

We know what this OL is.  One really good tackle (when healthy), another typically above average tackle, an ok Center and poor guard play.  We all knew the weak spot heading into the offseason, it wasn't addressed, and we saw it exposed in Week One. 

What would you have done?  Beane was able to bring back Williams.  Ford is still developing.  I would have been fine with a C/G in the third round instead of Brown and the Doyle pick makes no dam sense.  But would a fifth round guard even make the roster?  Most likely not.   They have no cap money to spend.  I guess they could have gone after a guard and let Milano walk or not sign Sanders.  

It's easy to say they should do more.  

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Not going to overreact to one game.  

We all know the IOL is the weak spot in pass pro, so I’ll chalk up Williams/Dawkins struggles on Sunday to a one off.   Dawkins especially, as he’s coming off Covid and never looks that bad. 

That being said, watching that game was infuriating to those of us who were begging to upgrade the Guard positions.  

Anyone think we could move Daryl Williams inside to one of the Guard positions if/when Brown is ready to take over RT?  

Leaves us with Doyle as swing and Ford/Williams/Bates able to flip back out to Tackle if needed, but im just at a loss for what we saw from our starting OL against a 4 man rush most of the game.  

Doyle is, from what I saw in preseason and reports from training camp, in NO WAY ready to take on the role of swing tackle at this point. 

Brown MIGHT be OK as RT.

It should be recalled that when Williams was asked to move inside to guard for 8 games (RG and LG) by the Panthers in 2019, he kind of sucked, leading to him being available for the Bills at a bargain price for RT last season.  It might be injury recovery, but all tackles do not make great guards.

I think after some mucking about, the Bills might go back to the OL that finished the last games of the season last year, which was Dawkins/Boettger/Morse/Feliciano/Williams.  But they’re going to give Ford more than 1 game to show whether he can get ‘er done.

Just now, SCBills said:

Absolutely the whole OL struggled, but we knew coming into the season that interior offensive line was an issue at points last year.  Dawkins/Williams were not.  

I'm willing to give the two Tackles that weren't an issue last year a pass.   

I'm not willing to give a guy like Feliciano that pass.   It's now an ongoing theme with him. 

I guarantee you that if this is as simple as one player not holding up his spot McD will fix that

But those holding penalties from Dawkins were bad....he just doesnt look right after his covid

TJ Watt came into this game making sure that he avenged his ass kicking from Williams from last year and he did

I need to go back and review the other OG spot play this week

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It is here sir......keep reading the board (or I would advise not to actually......too much bull#### this morning)

Well I can say I am an extemely critical guy on our team after losses, and you know that going back to our discussions about TT.  However NO McD is not a horrible coach, he is a top 10 coach easy, however at least 3 times a game I can say WTF is he doing.  Yesterday was really really bad, I never seen him that badly outcoached.  And for those that are saying Diggs should get less Targets yeah they need to really learn football if anything I want Diggs targeted MORE.

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

What would you have done?  Beane was able to bring back Williams.  Ford is still developing.  I would have been fine with a C/G in the third round instead of Brown and the Doyle pick makes no dam sense.  But would a fifth round guard even make the roster?  Most likely not.   They have no cap money to spend.  I guess they could have gone after a guard and let Milano walk or not sign Sanders.  

Could have walked from Feliciano and should have.

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

I would not have re-signed Feliciano.  If they wanted Feliciano back, sign him to play Center and cut Morse.  I'm actually ok seeing what we have in Ford.  

I would have drafted IOL in the 2nd Round, where you typically find top notch IOL players.  

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Well I can say I am an extemely critical guy on our team after losses, and you know that going back to our discussions about TT.  However NO McD is not a horrible coach, he is a top 10 coach easy, however at least 3 times a game I can say WTF is he doing.  Yesterday was really really bad, I never seen him that badly outcoached.  And for those that are saying Diggs should get less Targets yeah they need to really learn football if anything I want Diggs targeted MORE.

And I am too quickly ready to stand up for the team when people get over critical......so there is that :)

We lost to a team that was undefeated for the majority of the season and then fell off a clff (which I expect them to do again with Ben R.) we were not playing the jets in game one this year.......

Onto Sunday!

And I am too quickly ready to stand up for the team when people get over critical......so there is that :)

We lost to a team that was undefeated for the majority of the season and then fell off a clff (which I expect them to do again with Ben R.) we were not playing the jets in game one this year.......

Onto Sunday!

I am looking forward to MIA trying for the 3rd time, to man us up and say ok Josh beat our CBs.  will be very fun to watch.