Training camp media and practice 8/19

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

It is Japanese. I asked for a dirty Japanese phrase when I was dumb college kid and this is what I got. I like it for how sounds and what it means is funny for an internet board. Actually prefer just Yatta now that I’m adult

Lol!  I’m half Japanese actually.  I know what Okasan means but not familiar with that phrase. 
Please to enlighten me. 

27 minutes ago, Apocalypse Nuts said:

Lol!  I’m half Japanese actually.  I know what Okasan means but not familiar with that phrase. 
Please to enlighten me. 

Yatta is just “I did it” in a exclamatory way.  Typically something you yell after you did something challenging. Yelling that about someone’s mom was pretty funny to my juvenile mind.  

The phrase I got in german was different, a bit longer, but equally funny. 

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Harrison Phillips has been a jag to me for much of his career so far but he seems to be finishing camp strong and flashed against the Lions. 

I hated the Butler signing when it happened and he hasn’t done anything since to change my mind. He seems like an easy cut right now with guys like Phillips and Zimmer getting more recognition during practices.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Harrison Phillips has been a jag to me for much of his career so far but he seems to be finishing camp strong and flashed against the Lions. 

I hated the Butler signing when it happened and he hasn’t done anything since to change my mind. He seems like an easy cut right now with guys like Phillips and Zimmer getting more recognition during practices.

I agree on the Philips point and would really love to see him improve and contribute significantly this season.

I know there is something like a $3.3m cap saving if we cut Butler, but is there any dead cap implications (or other negatives) involved with cutting him?  if not, and if Zimmer keeps improving, then I would be in favour of cutting Butler.

3 hours ago, NI Bills Fan said:

I agree on the Philips point and would really love to see him improve and contribute significantly this season.

I know there is something like a $3.3m cap saving if we cut Butler, but is there any dead cap implications (or other negatives) involved with cutting him?  if not, and if Zimmer keeps improving, then I would be in favour of cutting Butler.

Cap savings on Butler I have heard are all over.  I had heard this number and asked Joe Marino about it but he had different numbers.  With the numbers we have at DT I think we have to cut Butler for that 3.3m savings (assuming it exists).  I don't think hes better than Zimmer or Phillips so it would be a shame/mistake to keep him because of dead cap.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Cap savings on Butler I have heard are all over.  I had heard this number and asked Joe Marino about it but he had different numbers.  With the numbers we have at DT I think we have to cut Butler for that 3.3m savings (assuming it exists).  I don't think hes better than Zimmer or Phillips so it would be a shame/mistake to keep him because of dead cap.

At this point, the cap savings to me is irrelevant. Just keep the best players, and if it happens to be that they’re cheaper? Great!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

7 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

At this point, the cap savings to me is irrelevant. Just keep the best players, and if it happens to be that they’re cheaper? Great!

The one thats interesting to me is Addison.  I think hes probably our 3rd or 4th best DE but I think I would want to trade him (cut does have a bit of dead money) to get some cap savings while still having Hughes, Groot, AJE, Efe, Boogie, Bam.  Otherwise were cutting someone pretty good.

AJ Klein is another one.  Hes def 3rd or 4th best LB I think, but I would prefer cap savings from him with how deep we are in the LB corps.  Again has to be a trade I think.

Edited by YattaOkasan

9 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

The one thats interesting to me is Addison.  I think hes probably our 3rd or 4th best DE but I think I would want to trade him (cut does have a bit of dead money) to get some cap savings while still having Hughes, Groot, AJE, Efe, Boogie, Bam.  Otherwise were cutting someone pretty good.

AJ Klein is another one.  Hes def 3rd or 4th best LB I think, but I would prefer cap savings from him with how deep we are in the LB corps.  Again has to be a trade I think.

I just don’t know what the cap savings does for you, immediately or long term. What are they going to do with that 3m? Can they sign a vet corner? Depth tackle? Great! Otherwise, what’s the point?

I want them to assemble the best roster they can. The money should not factor into this decision, based off of the current state of the franchise, unless it can directly help them to improve elsewhere. 

if they go with the young players, I’m assuming that it’s because they think they are better for the franchise (now or in the future) and I imagine the money is only an afterthought unless Beane has some wizardry planned to utilize it for the good of the team this season. 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I just don’t know what the cap savings does for you, immediately or long term. What are they going to do with that 3m? Can they sign a vet corner? Depth tackle? Great! Otherwise, what’s the point?

I want them to assemble the best roster they can. The money should not factor into this decision, based off of the current state of the franchise, unless it can directly help them to improve elsewhere. 

if they go with the young players, I’m assuming that it’s because they think they are better for the franchise (now or in the future) and I imagine the money is only an afterthought unless Beane has some wizardry planned to utilize it for the good of the team this season. 

I understand your point, but I think Beane has been pretty open that he is thinking long term about cap.  See his comments about Josh's contract and how every move was planned around that. 

Between those two guys thats ~7 million dollars.  Long term that is capable starter at a lot of spots or depth at multiple spots.  I think the balance thats going on is maximizing opportunity this year (give me the best roster we can) with maximizing the opportunity in subsequent years (maintaining cap room to make moves in the future).  

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

For me the question is do they think Obada is likely to get even better? If so then it’s probably worth keeping Obada, cutting Addison, and living with him for one season while he continues to grow. On the other hand, if they think Obada is probably close to his maximum then they are probably better off keeping Addison, cutting Obada and just replacing him with somebody else next season as Addison continues to decline.