Training Camp Practice and Media Sessions 8/6

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bryce Paup 6'5" 247

Aaron Schobel 6'4" 243

Again, it's really a matter of the player's frame and athleticism, what weight they play best at

Agreed!  You can't stereotype in the NFL.  Every player's body and athleticism is unique to him.  I can see where a player might actually need to try playing at different weights to discover what works best.   Sometimes players can fulfill different roles that require different weights.  Lorenzo Alexander came into the league as a defensive tackle weighing around 300 lbs.  Of course, he finished his career with the Bills as an outside linebacker weighing a little over 240.  It's definitely not "one size fits all."

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Every time I see Josh in an empty backfield, I get excited

The reality though is that empty backfield = DL can just attack the QB = quicker and subsequently shorter throws.

It's the recipe for dinkin' and dunkin'.........boring offense.

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The reality though is that empty backfield = DL can just attack the QB = quicker and subsequently shorter throws.

It's the recipe for dinkin' and dunkin'.........boring offense.

Not when the QB is a legitimate threat to run. The DL can’t be reckless. 

9 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I thought I remember that said well prior by a poster named skooby, if I remember correctly. I think he also drove a bmw and wasn't afraid to tell you that.

The line I will always  remember is follow the 💰

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Agreed!  You can't stereotype in the NFL.  Every player's body and athleticism is unique to him.  I can see where a player might actually need to try playing at different weights to discover what works best.   Sometimes players can fulfill different roles that require different weights.  Lorenzo Alexander came into the league as a defensive tackle weighing around 300 lbs.  Of course, he finished his career with the Bills as an outside linebacker weighing a little over 240.  It's definitely not "one size fits all."

This has been the way for years - if guys remember Bruce Smith as a rookie - he was well over 300 lbs.  His size and athleticism was part of what made him ideal as a 3-4 DE, but he lacked burst and stamina at that weight.

Bruce realized that 300 was way to much and worked himself down into the 280s and eventually the mid 260s to find the right size and speed combo.

14 hours ago, AmishRifle said:

I’m so happy for Josh and the organization.

I’m also continually baffled by the inability of the Bills PR department to provide a mic for the reporters asking a question.  I’ve heard several posters make the observation already but it’s just amazing that they don’t do it.  Please, for the love of all things good in the world, put a mic out for the reporters!

Agreed, it drives me nuts!

If you have a pair of headphones try listening with those. That’s what I did and it allowed me to hear the reporters questions.

Josh Allen was on the left headphone and the reporter questions were on the right headphone. But when I try to listen without headphones I can’t hear the questions 🤷‍♂️

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, eball said:

Not when the QB is a legitimate threat to run. The DL can’t be reckless. 

Doesn't change anything.    

When the only concern is getting to the QB the action unfolds a lot quicker...........the rush has to maintain some gap integrity either way.........but they don't need to pause for the threat of a handoff and that greatly accelerates the speed they can play at.

Ideally you stretch the defense vertically and horizontally on every play.........that's why well executed play action is extremely difficult to stop........and 5 wide really only gives you the the horizontal aspect.

Go back and watch the 5 wide stuff the Bills ran last year............it didn't result in big plays............and generally doesn't for ANY team.

McDermott would love to see opposing offenses run 5 wide.......his defense......and many others.........try to get teams to dink and dunk down the field and that's all 5 wide is good for.

In practice last week I saw the Bills line up 5 wide and then have McKenzie motion back into the backfield............that would be a nice wrinkle if McKenzie shows he can carry the ball out of the backfield like a Curtis Samuel.    He's certainly a MUCH better receiver than anyone they have in the backfield.