RIP Gavin MacLeod (aka Captain Stubing)

Miyagi-Do Karate

Gavin MacLeod of “Mary Tyler Moore” and “Love Boat” fame died of old age at 90.

I was a huge Love Boat fan as a kid (mostly watched re-runs), and carried with me for years many witty words of wisdom and quotes by Captain Stubing.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/gavin-macleod-dead-dies-love-boat-mary-tyler-moore-show-1234984591/

The Love Boat was an uneven show with some great guests and some great shows but not always together.

Lauren Tewes was bright and bubby and beautiful on good days and it is a shame she lost her job due to cocaine addiction; Oh and Lauren Tewes was a Coyboys cheerleader.

Her replacement was not the same.

Bartender Isaac Washington (Ted Lange) had some great lines but not enough of them.

Bernie Kopell as Doctor Adam Bricker kept reminding me of Adam West for some reason.

Fred Grandy was a really good actor.  You would never know from show he graduated magna ***** laude from Harvard.

Edited by Limeaid

What seemed like a hoakie show became a staple on our entertainment menu. An iconic show, for better or worse. 

His family and friends know the real person. My condolences to them. 

RIP

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

What seemed like a hoakie show became a staple on our entertainment menu. An iconic show, for better or worse. 

His family and friends know the real person. My condolences to them. 

RIP

Agreed. I think everyone can agree it was a cheesy show. But the formula was brilliant— solid regular cast and superstar guests for basically a new show every week. It’s not Shakespeare. But that’s how you make a show last for 10 Seasons with great ratings. 

Re MacLeod, a real interesting person. Was supposedly a big dude early in his career and played sort of bad guys. Lost a lot of weight and started playing good guys in the 70s and 80s. Had a up and down personal life, but found a strong faith later in life and reconciled and remarried his wife. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agreed. I think everyone can agree it was a cheesy show. But the formula was brilliant— solid regular cast and superstar guests for basically a new show every week. It’s not Shakespeare. But that’s how you make a show last for 10 Seasons with great ratings. 

Re MacLeod, a real interesting person. Was supposedly a big dude early in his career and played sort of bad guys. Lost a lot of weight and started playing good guys in the 70s and 80s. Had a up and down personal life, but found a strong faith later in life and reconciled and remarried his wife. 

I would be remiss if I didn’t acknowledge his role with Mary Tyler Moore. One of the best shows ever, and he played an important part. THAT was a great show! 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Limeaid said:

The Love Boat was an uneven show with some great guests and some great shows but not always together.

Lauren Tewes was bright and bubby and beautiful on good days and it is a shame she lost her job due to cocaine addiction; Oh and Lauren Tewes was a Coyboys cheerleader.

Her replacement was not the same.

Bartender Isaac Washington (Ted Lange) had some great lines but not enough of them.

Bernie Kopell as Doctor Adam Bricker kept reminding me of Adam West for some reason.

Fred Grandy was a really good actor.  You would never know from show he graduated magna ***** laude from Harvard.

Former US  Congressman, too. 

He was a good actor for that role on that show, but I didn’t think he’d ever contend for an Oscar.

On 5/29/2021 at 11:35 PM, Marv's Neighbor said:

After seeing him in Kelly's heroes, I never thought he fit many of his later roles.  RIP!

Oddball: "Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"

Moriarty: "Crap"

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.