Jump to content

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The only thing going for the Colts is a weak division and a STACKED roster. 
 

Rivers looked like 2015 Manning last season. He went to the Colts and they were in the playoffs.

 

Does Carson Wentz become Wentz of old? I doubt it. Too much baggage now. Does he show some flashes as a serviceable starter and win 10 games? Easily possible imo

 

Oh the Colts could win 10, sure. But that will be despite Wentz not because of his play. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

New England did it pretty regularly -- 2016 Brissett (3rd).  2014 Garoppolo (2nd), 2011 Mallett (3rd)

Wasn’t it the 2nd? 

Really stupid take in my book. What other teams have selected a qb in the first round when their franchise qb is in his 20s and suppose to be the franchise guy. You don’t do that if you haven’t alread

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

 

Did you read the quote?

 

 

“He obviously responded very negatively to Jalen Hurts being drafted,” King said. “Like, ‘Oh my God, they’re bringing in somebody to take my place or to put pressure on me or to play mind games,’ whatever it is he’s thinking. He’s probably never going to say it, but we know that he’s got to be ticked off about this. "

 

 

Where is his source for this?  He is essentially pretending to read Wentz's mind and state it as fact.  

 

Let's say I've never heard about this before.  I want to know what happened.  

 

And I read this.   This tells me King on one hand states as fact he reacted terribly to the pick, then goes on to say we have to think he had to.  

 

I can't believe I have to explain this.   

 

 

We know 2 things.  And one of them is actually still an assumption.

 

When Hurts was drafted of course by human nature Wentz may have been a little irked but we have zero proof of this.  

 

What we do know is when he was benched in week 13 he was p****d.  

 

That's it.  

 

 

Here's what we also know.  The Eagles offense minus Wentz was the worst group from o line to skill guys in the league not named Goedert or Ertz.  And Sanders was hurt most of the season.  

 

I expect the Colts to win 12 games and the AFC South.  Easily actually.

 

 

Even the Eagles said that after the 2020 season, Wentz wanted out of Philly.  Clearly getting benched in favor of his backup was the last straw.  What part of Wentz's "state of mind" is hard to understand?  He wanted out of there.   King is correct: they drafted Hurts, Wentz crapped the bed and then said he wanted "a fresh start" somewhere else.  

28 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

This is such a stupid comment. 99% of the time if your QB is out for more than 8 games your season is over. Wentz- Foles and Bledsoe- Brady are the exceptions to the rule. More often than not its more of a Rodgers- Kizer situation.

 

A good back up QB should win you 50% of the games he plays and that is if he has a good defense/team to support him. 

 

 

It's not a stupid comment for for the Eagles in particular, given that a journeyman replaced their oft injured franchise QB and won them home filed and then the SB.

 

Mentioning as "the exception" the same scenario to the very QB situation being discussed isn't a strong argument.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

Even the Eagles said that after the 2020 season, Wentz wanted out of Philly.  Clearly getting benched in favor of his backup was the last straw.  What part of Wentz's "state of mind" is hard to understand?  He wanted out of there.   King is correct: they drafted Hurts, Wentz crapped the bed and then said he wanted "a fresh start" somewhere else.  

 

 

It's not a stupid comment for for the Eagles in particular, given that a journeyman replaced their oft injured franchise QB and won them home filed and then the SB.

 

Mentioning as "the exception" the same scenario to the very QB situation being discussed isn't a strong argument.

Thats why it was mentioned, to not mention it would of been not okay, but again it is an exception. I could unreasonably argue that 'you don't need a QB at all to win games' and could site the Ravens and Bucsof the early 2000s as my example but you know what they were exceptions to the rule.

 

Using your logic you would state that people have 11 toes because some/very very few people have 11 toes.

 

Logic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

 

New England did it pretty regularly -- 2016 Brissett (3rd).  2014 Garoppolo (2nd), 2011 Mallett (3rd)

Excellent point.

The counter of course is even by 2011 Brady was old.  But still I love it when posters bring actual facts to the table. Well done!

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

 

Yeah!  Because........yeah!

 

 

When you franchise QB has had 2 full seasons out of 5....and win a SB after the journeyman backup goes 2-1 to lock up home field and then lead them to the SB win...you draft a guy in the 2nd round just in case.  That doesn't get any GMs fired.

 

Certainly BB didn't get fired:

 

As Billy Claude pointed out for you and From the article (which you didn't read):

 

“I look at Tom Brady in 2014, where all he’s done at that point is win four Super Bowls for New England, and now in the draft that year, here comes at the end of the second round, here comes Jimmy Garoppolo, a guy who’s being drafted to replace Brady, who was 37 at that time. And Tom Brady, here’s how he responded. The next four years he wins the MVP once and he wins two Super Bowls. And so to me that’s how a competitor responds. A competitor responds and says you are never ever taking my job. You know? And Carson Wentz just says, ‘OK, you want this guy? Let me get out of here.’”

 

Rodgers no doubt said the same thing to Love.

 

You don’t draft a guy in case when he’s in his 20s you draft a guy because the first guy isn’t the guy not very hard to understand.

 

also to the people stating well the patriots did it and Green Bay did it are you just being ignorant on purpose? 
 

drafting project qbs or an eventual replacement is common place when your qb is over 35 it’s completely different doing it when they guy is in the “prime” of his career. Name me an example and I’ll wait. I don’t know why people are so defensive about this. It’s ok that the eagles weren’t sold on him being the long term answer. I wasn’t sold on wentz either. But they most definitely didn’t pick hurts to be a backup give me a break. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mannc said:

Sorry, I’m not buying the “Wentz as victim” card.  He stunk.  Obviously Reich thinks he can be saved, though.  Seems like a pretty big gamble, with no real back-up plan, for a team that could contend.

We'll find out this year but I've never seen a franchise have such a rush of injuries and poor personnel decisions on one side of the ball post Super Bowl than the Eagles. He had less weapons than Brady's final year in Foxboro and a poorer offensive line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

You don’t draft a guy in case when he’s in his 20s you draft a guy because the first guy isn’t the guy not very hard to understand.

 

also to the people stating well the patriots did it and Green Bay did it are you just being ignorant on purpose? 
 

drafting project qbs or an eventual replacement is common place when your qb is over 35 it’s completely different doing it when they guy is in the “prime” of his career. Name me an example and I’ll wait. I don’t know why people are so defensive about this. It’s ok that the eagles weren’t sold on him being the long term answer. I wasn’t sold on wentz either. But they most definitely didn’t pick hurts to be a backup give me a break. 

Tommy Maddox.  What do I win?

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

We'll find out this year but I've never seen a franchise have such a rush of injuries and poor personnel decisions on one side of the ball post Super Bowl than the Eagles. He had less weapons than Brady's final year in Foxboro and a poorer offensive line.

Their second round rookie played much better than Wentz did, with the same supporting cast.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mannc said:

Their second round rookie played much better than Wentz did, with the same supporting cast.

Much better?  They simplified their offense and let Hurts use his wheels.  He still went 1-3 with a 52% completion % and a 41 QBR.  He played so poorly in the finale he was pulled for some guy named Nate Sudfeld.  He provided some juice to the team against the Saints but that's about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Tommy Maddox.  What do I win?

So you found 1 example from 92 and it wasn’t a good decision then either. Pretty much made my point for me. Wentz wasn’t very good and injury prone and the eagles decided to move on. That’s the truth not really hard to see. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Much better?  They simplified their offense and let Hurts use his wheels.  He still went 1-3 with a 52% completion % and a 41 QBR.  He played so poorly in the finale he was pulled for some guy named Nate Sudfeld.  He provided some juice to the team against the Saints but that's about it.

I didn’t say he was good.  But he was better than Wentz.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

We'll find out this year but I've never seen a franchise have such a rush of injuries and poor personnel decisions on one side of the ball post Super Bowl than the Eagles. He had less weapons than Brady's final year in Foxboro and a poorer offensive line.

 

I have never seen so many poor decisions as on Carson Wentz's 2020 film. It was literally every snap in some games. He was unfathomably bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MrSarcasm said:

Thats why it was mentioned, to not mention it would of been not okay, but again it is an exception. I could unreasonably argue that 'you don't need a QB at all to win games' and could site the Ravens and Bucsof the early 2000s as my example but you know what they were exceptions to the rule.

 

Using your logic you would state that people have 11 toes because some/very very few people have 11 toes.

 

Logic.

 

 

This QB struggles to complete a season.  So for him, calling upon his backup is NOT the exception, hence a quality backup was drafted.

 

Simple.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

You don’t draft a guy in case when he’s in his 20s you draft a guy because the first guy isn’t the guy not very hard to understand.

 

also to the people stating well the patriots did it and Green Bay did it are you just being ignorant on purpose? 
 

drafting project qbs or an eventual replacement is common place when your qb is over 35 it’s completely different doing it when they guy is in the “prime” of his career. Name me an example and I’ll wait. I don’t know why people are so defensive about this. It’s ok that the eagles weren’t sold on him being the long term answer. I wasn’t sold on wentz either. But they most definitely didn’t pick hurts to be a backup give me a break. 

 

Wentz, in only his 5th season (only 2 full seasons), was "in his prime"?  Maybe you are re-defining that word? 

 

You won't have to wait--you already have "an example": Brady.  The year they drafted JG, NE won a SB.  Brady had 4100 yards and 34 TDs. The following year, 4600 yards and 36 TDs.   They then appeared in 3 SB in a row and won 2 of them.  Top 5 in points scored the entire time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MrSarcasm said:

Thats why it was mentioned, to not mention it would of been not okay, but again it is an exception. I could unreasonably argue that 'you don't need a QB at all to win games' and could site the Ravens and Bucsof the early 2000s as my example but you know what they were exceptions to the rule.

 

Using your logic you would state that people have 11 toes because some/very very few people have 11 toes.

 

Logic.

Jeff Hostetler says hi.

  • Eyeroll 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2021 at 6:55 PM, Billy Claude said:

 

New England did it pretty regularly -- 2016 Brissett (3rd).  2014 Garoppolo (2nd), 2011 Mallett (3rd)

Just floating this for something to consider, i think it changes the narrative some, and Brisett is a bit of an outlier here because of the year... but qbs have seen sort of an inflation. In the early early 2010's a qb taken that high was somebody who typically was going to sit and be groomed.  The Aaron Rodgers type development was big then, and now theres so many qbs taken in round 1, that Garoppolo wouldve been a 1st rd'er. 

 

But guys drafted in the first 2 rounds now dont have the luxury of sitting.  Theyre expected to come in and play and play at a high level right away. So drafting Hurts now is alot more of a "threat", and a better indicator of the front office looking to move on.  And obviously this is JMO

Edited by BillsShredder83
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

But guys drafted in the first 2 rounds now dont have the luxury of sitting.  Theyre expected to come in and play and play at a high level right away. So drafting Hurts now is alot more of a "threat", and a better indicator of the front office looking to move on.  And obviously this is JMO

 

While this is true (and I am certain the front office was not sold on Wentz after 2019 where for stretches of that season he was not very good) the fact that he kept getting hurt as WEO said meant that they had to think about backup QB more than other teams. They had Foles for two years, then McCown they were in a cap crunch and couldn't keep another medium priced vet as insurance so their only route was to get a rookie they thought could be capable of keeping them around .500. Those guys tend to go early. Wentz's inability to stay healthy was a major factor in them drafting Hurts IMO. 

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

 

This QB struggles to complete a season.  So for him, calling upon his backup is NOT the exception, hence a quality backup was drafted.

 

Simple.

Hurts is no 'quality backup'

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...