1972 Buffalo Bills -A Year to Cheer

Lou Saban returns and puts an emphasis on running the ball with OJ & Jim Braxton. But serious OLine injuries plagued the team.  JD Hill emerged as a PB WR and ‘the venerable one’ USC’s Bobby Chandler began to make a name for himself. Another long season  gave a brighter vision to the future as we’d win 9 games the following season and make the playoffs in ‘74.

2 parts.

Part 1 

Part 2 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Against the years’ Super Bowl teams, we lost by 1 point to the undefeated Dolphins and whooped the Over the Hill Gang Redskins.  This was the 1st year Channel 7 (WKBW) won the broadcasting rights, moving Van Miller out for a few years. Al Meltzer & the late Rick Azar called the games. 

I remember OJ winning the rushing title in the last game against the Redskins. Larry Brown was out for the game and lost the crown because of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think you meant WKBW radio got the rights from WBEN. I remember those broadcasts, Al Meltzer did a nice job with PBP and Ed Rutkowski was his main analyst with Rick Azar as the third person in the booth. 

The '72 season was a big step forward and reversed a bad trend that started under John Rauch and continued with Harvey Johnson. Saban came back and made them into a team again, he just never had a good defense when he was here the 2nd time around.

• Like (+1) 2

I thought this was the year that OJ just ran over Detroit on T-Giving - wrong year as the game I was trying to remember was in 1975. Jim Braxton was a wrecking machine for the Juice.

On 4/16/2021 at 8:35 PM, Chandler#81 said:

Against the years’ Super Bowl teams, we lost by 1 point to the undefeated Dolphins and whooped the Over the Hill Gang Redskins.  This was the 1st year Channel 7 (WKBW) won the broadcasting rights, moving Van Miller out for a few years. Al Meltzer & the late Rick Azar called the games. 

Not to be a buzzkill but the Washington game was the last game of the season. 

Edited by Charles Romes
  • Like (+1) 1
On 4/16/2021 at 5:22 PM, Chandler#81 said:

Lou Saban returns and puts an emphasis on running the ball with OJ & Jim Braxton. But serious OLine injuries plagued the team.  JD Hill emerged as a PB WR and ‘the venerable one’ USC’s Bobby Chandler began to make a name for himself. Another long season  gave a brighter vision to the future as we’d win 9 games the following season and make the playoffs in ‘74.

Thanks for sharing.  It was great to reminisce, especially seeing Bobby C.    Last season at the Rockpile.

I don’t remember MLB Ken Lee at all.

• Like (+1) 1

I was one year old.

• Haha (+1) 1
On 4/17/2021 at 8:46 AM, BuffaloBill said:

I thought this was the year that OJ just ran over Detroit on T-Giving - wrong year as the game I was trying to remember was in 1975. Jim Braxton was a wrecking machine for the Juice.

Don't forget Ed Rutkowski