Jarran Reed to sign with Chiefs

37 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Their entire OL was hurt or opted out last year.  Their OL is now better.  If 4-5 OL get hurt and aren’t playing in the super bowl, they might lose......just like any team that is playing with 4-5 backup OL. If you don’t understand this notion, I don’t know what to tell ya. 

what would you expect them to do?  Are you saying that the chiefs are going to suck now?  What’s your point?  That they don’t have great starters AND backups along the OL?

Indeed. KC has stars and not much depth is his point I think. Well that's true. But stars > depth every time. Of course there is a question about their oline.... I think they are significantly upgraded at guard with Thuney and possibly with Kyle Long back out of retirement to compete with Nick Allegretti for the other spot. Allegretti might even slide inside and play center. Tackle is more of a question mark. Remmers is back as at least a vet placeholder, but he does tend to get shown up against the best and has two Superbowl nightmares now on his cv with KC and Carolina. They have Niang, Wanogo and Durant from last year's draft. They will hope one of those three develops into a serviceable RT, and it is almost certain at this stage they will pick a left tackle at #31. 

The other question that remains for me on the roster is corner. Unless I missed it Breeland hasn't re-signed, and had a career year in 2020 anyway that I am sceptical he can repeat. Charvarius Ward and Rashad Fenton are the presumed starters outside which I think is a weak group. If I were their GM I'd be trying to make my first two picks OT and CB. Wouldn't shock me to see them go tight end on day 2 either..... little known fact... Travis Kelce is the same age as Gronk. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Oh wow you used azz you’re so hip and trendy you mean the same KC that lost 38-9 in the Super Bowl and could have had 50 laid on them why don’t you try the sequel Winning the Super Bowl for Dummies brought to you by Tom Brady he seemed to have no problem with Patrick Mahomes now did he? 

Oh really? Could have fooled me after what Shaq Barrett and crew did that line in the Super Bowl 

Which lineman that played in the Super Bowl is going to start next year?

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed. KC has stars and not much depth is his point I think. Well that's true. But stars > depth every time. Of course there is a question about their oline.... I think they are significantly upgraded at guard with Thuney and possibly with Kyle Long back out of retirement to compete with Nick Allegretti for the other spot. Allegretti might even slide inside and play center. Tackle is more of a question mark. Remmers is back as at least a vet placeholder, but he does tend to get shown up against the best and has two Superbowl nightmares now on his cv with KC and Carolina. They have Niang, Wanogo and Durant from last year's draft. They will hope one of those three develops into a serviceable RT, and it is almost certain at this stage they will pick a left tackle at #31. 

The other question that remains for me on the roster is corner. Unless I missed it Breeland hasn't re-signed, and had a career year in 2020 anyway that I am sceptical he can repeat. Charvarius Ward and Rashad Fenton are the presumed starters outside which I think is a weak group. If I were their GM I'd be trying to make my first two picks OT and CB. Wouldn't shock me to see them go tight end on day 2 either..... little known fact... Travis Kelce is the same age as Gronk. 

This post is spot on except for the CB discussion.  L’Jarius Sneed will be a starting CB, and he was incredible last year as a rookie.  He’s the one who locked up Diggs in the AFCCG.  When he went out, Diggs had catches on the next 2 plays.  He probably had the best rookie season of any Chiefs player I’ve ever seen, broken collarbone notwithstanding.  The Chiefs secondary is stacked, though I would like to see Breeland back if they can work out a reasonable deal.  

12 minutes ago, Billl said:

This post is spot on except for the CB discussion.  L’Jarius Sneed will be a starting CB, and he was incredible last year as a rookie.  He’s the one who locked up Diggs in the AFCCG.  When he went out, Diggs had catches on the next 2 plays.  He probably had the best rookie season of any Chiefs player I’ve ever seen, broken collarbone notwithstanding.  The Chiefs secondary is stacked, though I would like to see Breeland back if they can work out a reasonable deal.  

We have discussed this before. I like Sneed a lot as a nickel. I am not sold on him as top level outside guy. I know you are, I need to be convinced. I think outside corner is a relative weakness on the roster.

41 minutes ago, Billl said:

The chiefs corners are great until they aren’t allowed to commit penalties on every play. Funny how the refs allowed them to hold on every play in the AFCCG and then throw penalties on every play in the SB 

I think it’s weird that you would say the Bills WRs are Diggs + JAGs and then say the KC secondary is “stacked”. If the Bills didn’t take such a nonchalant approach to their run game in 2020, the chiefs corners wouldn’t have looked so great vs us, Hopefully Daboll and McD can get the run game going

sneed is a good player.  Who else do they have at corner that isn’t a jag? Ward, Fenton, Keyes?  The chiefs fans I know hate Ward....and he’s your #1 now as sneed isn’t really an outside guy (yet)

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We have discussed this before. I like Sneed a lot as a nickel. I am not sold on him as top level outside guy. I know you are, I need to be convinced. I think outside corner is a relative weakness on the roster.

I just can’t imagine how you can watch him play and come away with that opinion.  Outside of Mahomes, he might be the player on the team I’d demand the most for in a theoretical trade.  (He’d be right there with Tyreek Hill and ahead of Kelce and Chris Jones, IMO).  He’s that good.

His measurables are like something created in a lab to be an outside CB.  At the combine, he measured 6’1 192, so he’s got ideal size.  He ran a 4.37 40 with a 41” vertical.  

Obviously he can play the slot given that he completely locked down Diggs, and he’s a hell of a pass rusher from there.  (He’s the one who caught Allen for about a 20 yard sack). 

I’m telling you this guy is all-pro level right now.  He’s Jalen Ramsey good.

16 minutes ago, Billl said:

I just can’t imagine how you can watch him play and come away with that opinion.  Outside of Mahomes, he might be the player on the team I’d demand the most for in a theoretical trade.  (He’d be right there with Tyreek Hill and ahead of Kelce and Chris Jones, IMO).  He’s that good.

His measurables are like something created in a lab to be an outside CB.  At the combine, he measured 6’1 192, so he’s got ideal size.  He ran a 4.37 40 with a 41” vertical.  

Obviously he can play the slot given that he completely locked down Diggs, and he’s a hell of a pass rusher from there.  (He’s the one who caught Allen for about a 20 yard sack). 

Sneed is Jalen Ramsey good, the chiefs DBs are stacked and Cole Beasley is a JAG.  Great analysis!!  You’ll be scouting for the NFL in no time flat.  

Sneed is a very good player and on his way to a great career.  Maybe even HoF career.  He’s not Jalen Ramsey good at the time that you typed that garbaggio

15 minutes ago, Billl said:

Because what I saw of him outside in college he struggled with play recognition in pure zone and then had a tendency to get grabby in any sort of press or man look. So much so that Louisiana Tech moved him to safety his senior year. I think he is much better inside amongst the traffic where he can use his aggressive instincts to make plays than outside in space where he needs to be more of a complete player. He is a young player and maybe he develops into a great NFL outside corner down the line..... but as I say, he needs to convince me of that. 

19 minutes ago, NewEra said:

sneed is a good player.  Who else do they have at corner that isn’t a jag? Ward, Fenton, Keyes?  The chiefs Fanta I know hate Ward....and he’s your #1 now as sneed isn’t really an outside guy (yet)

Did you watch the Bills play the Chiefs?  Allen managed 122 yards passing in the first game and had nothing in the second game until garbage time (after Sneed left with a concussion, incidentally). 

Ward is a very solid #2.  He’s fantastic in coverage, but he’s simply not athletic enough to go against #1 WRs.  They simply big brother him when battling for the ball, but most #2 receivers can’t do that to him.  Fenton is solid in the slot (had a pick in the AFCCG), and D’Andre Baker is solid depth.  Without Breeland, they’re still a little thin at CB, but that’s mitigated with an elite safety pairing of Matthieu and Thornhill.

KC’s secondary is top 5 in the NFL.  Their defensive weaknesses are at LB and DE.  The team routinely played base Nickel because of how little they had at the LB position.  Frank Clark was JAG last year, and he was the best DE on the team.  Neither position has been addressed in FA so far, though the Reed signing will allow Chris Jones to rotate at DE more.  That’s still papering over a weakness, but it’s easily superior to what they had last year.

I fully expect the Kansas City defense to be a top 10 unit next season, and that’s with teams racking up stats by playing catch up similar to the AFCCG.

Because what I saw of him outside in college he struggled with play recognition in pure zone and then had a tendency to get grabby in any sort of press or man look. So much so that Louisiana Tech moved him to safety his senior year. I think he is much better inside amongst the traffic where he can use his aggressive instincts to make plays than outside in space where he needs to be more of a complete player. He is a young player and maybe he develops into a great NFL outside corner down the line..... but as I say, he needs to convince me of that. 

That’s just false.  He was excellent at Corner his Junior season.  They moved him to S because they had Amik Robertson at the position who was also drafted but is only 5’6.  They had a need at Safety and one of the most athletic DBs in the country available to plug into the spot.

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Billl said:

That’s just false.  He was excellent at Corner his Junior season.  They moved him to S because they had Amik Robertson at the position who was also drafted but is only 5’6.  They had a need at Safety and one of the most athletic DBs in the country available to plug into the spot.

It is not. Look you can say you watched the same tape as me and disagree if you like but that is what I saw on film. It isn't false. 

1 minute ago, Billl said:

Did you watch the Bills play the Chiefs?  Allen managed 122 yards passing in the first game and had nothing in the second game until garbage time (after Sneed left with a concussion, incidentally). 

Ward is a very solid #2.  He’s fantastic in coverage, but he’s simply not athletic enough to go against #1 WRs.  They simply big brother him when battling for the ball, but most #2 receivers can’t do that to him.  Fenton is solid in the slot (had a pick in the AFCCG), and D’Andre Baker is solid depth.  Without Breeland, they’re still a little thin at CB, but that’s mitigated with an elite safety pairing of Matthieu and Thornhill.

KC’s secondary is top 5 in the NFL.  Their defensive weaknesses are at LB and DE.  The team routinely played base Nickel because of how little they had at the LB position.  Frank Clark was JAG last year, and he was the best DE on the team.  Neither position has been addressed in FA so far, though the Reed signing will allow Chris Jones to rotate at DE more.  That’s still papering over a weakness, but it’s easily superior to what they had last year.

I fully expect the Kansas City defense to be a top 10 unit next season, and that’s with teams racking up stats by playing catch up similar to the AFCCG.

Did you watch the all 22? Which clearly shows the chiefs DBs holding and committing illegal contact throughout the game and getting away with it (but not in the super bowl).  The referees allowing them to commit penalties all season long made them look better than they were.  They took advantage of the way the league was calling games.  Good job by the coaching staff

did you read the injury report for the AFCCG and see that every Bills WR was nursing an injury?  Did you notice that the Bills had no semblance of a running game and the chiefs DC put together a phenomenal game plan to take away the pass vs a team with zero threat of a run?  There’s a lot more to it than the KC DBs locked up the Bills WRs.  

They have a good secondary.  Possibly top 5.  Possibly not.  A secondary tends to look good when you have 2 all pro pass rushers forcing the ball out early

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is not. Look you can say you watched the same tape as me and disagree if you like but that is what I saw on film. It isn't false. 

The reason you gave for them moving him is demonstrably false.  His coach has said as much.    He was drafted to play CB because of his 2018 tape.  The GM who drafted him has said as much.

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

Didn’t know we had this many chief fans on here. They do everything perfect. We do everything wrong. Gonna be a long season

Nah man.  The Bills are so loaded at WR that no rookie could possibly make the team, but the Chiefs and their terrible corners somehow managed to shut down those WRs twice because the refs let them cheat.

• Disagree 1

19 minutes ago, Billl said:

The reason you gave for them moving him is demonstrably false.  His coach has said as much.    He was drafted to play CB because of his 2018 tape.  The GM who drafted him has said as much.

Show me where his coach has said as much.

10 minutes ago, Billl said:

Nah man.  The Bills are so loaded at WR that no rookie could possibly make the team, but the Chiefs and their terrible corners somehow managed to shut down those WRs twice because the refs let them cheat.

The Bills receivers were all hurt. But the other reason the Chiefs shut us down was because Josh was under duress the whole game. The Bills have a real matchup problem with the Chiefs Dline. Only twice last year was the Bills pass blocking outmatched - both games against KC. I don't know how you can watch the tape of that game and conclude the Chiefs won that match up based on their corners against the Bills receivers. They won it up front. The same way the Buccs defense then won the Superbowl. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Billl said:

Way to cherry pick and not mention the other three reasons I gave.....but that was expected at this point.  Carry on with your agenda filled nonsense.  

funny that you seem to like and agree with every one of my posts that is pro KC.....but the second that I post something that doesn’t the the chiefs greatness, you resort to agenda posting.  

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Way to cherry pick and not mention the other three reasons I gave.....but that was expected at this point.  Carry on with your agenda filled nonsense.  

funny that you seem to like and agree with every one of my posts that is pro KC.....but the second that I post something that doesn’t the the chiefs greatness, you resort to agenda posting.  

He is a chiefs fan, why would you expect different

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills receivers were all hurt. But the other reason the Chiefs shut us down was because Josh was under duress the whole game. The Bills have a real matchup problem with the Chiefs Dline. Only twice last year was the Bills pass blocking outmatched - both games against KC. I don't know how you can watch the tape of that game and conclude the Chiefs won that match up based on their corners against the Bills receivers. They won it up front. The same way the Buccs defense then won the Superbowl. 

It helped the Bucs that in the Super Bowl the referees actually enforced the defensive pass interference and defensive holding rules, unlike in the Chiefs’ previous game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Were the receivers all hurt in October when Allen threw for 122 yards?  Was it the pass rush when Josh didn’t get sacked a single time?

Sneed locked Diggs down in the playoffs.  He got concussed, and Diggs literally caught passes on the next 2 plays.  Sneed got hurt on the last drive of the 4th quarter.  When he went out, Diggs had 12 yards receiving in 42:13 of game time.  After Sneed left, he had 4 catches for 65 yards in the final 17:47.  The pass rush didn’t change.  The guy covering him did.