Jarran Reed to sign with Chiefs

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Who is "The DR"?

LT and C are some pretty big holes.  What's the plan there?

good question.  The following are just my own thoughts on what they will do.

they tried to get Trent Williams and missed.

I think they would love to trade for Orlando Brown, but Baltimore doesn’t want to move him and if they did, probably not to KC.

a couple years ago the Eagles took OT Andy Dillard in the first round.  He has been supplanted by that huge rugby player the Eagles got.  I figure KC might trade for him.

KC may yet sign a a journeyman.  There are many out there still. (Not ideal)

KC may sign journeyman AND draft one high.  Deep OT draft.  We will see how it shakes out.  Wouldn’t surprise me if KC went up to get one.

same thing at Center.  It’s very up in the air (not good)

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

I like the move.  6.5 sacks last year.  10.5 in 2018.

What this actually does is allow KC to move ChrisJones out to end on passing downs.  They did a lot of this in the 2019 AFCCG vat he Titans and it was effective.  

adds depth as well.

It’s a one year deal.  Mahomes is still relatively cheap.  (Tannehill has a higher cap hit this year than Mahomes)

I hope they do this vs us. Jones vs Feliciano = King Kong vs ping pong

OMG, this like Patriots syndrome where people freak out over something from the Chiefs.  You guys do know the National media is applauding Beane for extending necessary parts of our team and didn’t expect the Bills to get these guys at decent contracts.  Milano was reported on Spotrac as worth $13.75 mil. in value and we had him for $11.  D. Williams was projected much higher than $9.4 mil., and even Feliciano was projected much higher than his contract.  Beane is making good decisions.

Zero, I’m happy for you as I don’t feel less than because you beat us.  You have an excellent QB, and so do we.  Just because you’re team won twice against us, doesn’t mean you’re now the Pats during our sad 17 years.  We have an excellent team and so do you guys.  It should be fun for the next decade.  Adding a decent DT is good for you guys.  Losing both Tackles is not easily recoverable in the draft.  You still have some space, but not sure who is out there at this point.  You did pick up an excellent Guard.

I don’t know why to get wrapped around the axle because a good team picks up a DT.  I wanted Ngakoue too, but Beane is being smart with our $.  I never want to be in cap hell again as the early 2000’s, and when Beane came in was awful leading us to a 6-10 season in 2018.

For me, moving on.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

A lot of fans are comfortable with just being really good and maybe lucking into an SB win at some point. Those who really want to go for it, like KC and TB are, are concerned, because it appears we're not going for it.

KC just lost their starting LT and RT. In exchange they got a guard and a DT. They aren't "really going for it." Their moves at best amount to them treading water too. I think the Bills can beat them right now if Allen plays better and we have a better defensive game plan. Yeah pass rush would have helped us beat them, but so would a game plan that doesn't leave Kelce wide open within half a second. Jarran Reed wouldn't have made a difference in the AFC Championship last year. Neither would any pass rusher we could have conceivably signed this offseason. We need to figure out how to cover TEs and add some speed on offense in the draft.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think it’s more people being sad that the best team in the conference is making power moves this offseason.  While the Bills had 2 major points of emphasis to improve on:  bolstering our pass rush and our run game.

what have we done to improve our pass rush:  sign Efe Obada to a minimum contract. Get star back. 

what have we done to improve our run game:  add Matt Breida.  Hope that Cody Ford and Feliciano being healthy at the same time will make a difference

Resigning our free agents was a plus and Beane did a good job signing some nice cheap pieces (Sanders, breida, Obada, haack, mckenzie, Jones, Levi).....but I would’ve liked a little more change.  

I hope the difference making changes will come in the draft and more so in our schemes and play calling.  Maybe Beane still has a little warlock magic up his sleeve in free agency

Good post.  That does sum it up, though I'd call it 3 needs: 1) improve pressure on QB 2) improve run game (which I think means OL first and foremost) 3) speed. 

Whilst drooling over KC's "power moves", folks should keep in mind that KC has serious questionmarks at two of the key positions for the 5 who protect The Franchise. 

I'm not saying they won't sort it out later in FA, or through a trade or through the draft - but the point is at this point (as Zerovoltz and I have been discussing) they have two serious gaps there.

I guess my point is, perhaps we should wait through the rest of FA and the draft before freaking out "OMG KC is making power moves and we're treading water".  KC has made some improvements, but they've also got some serious ??s.

• Agree 3

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If Beane doesn’t have anything else up his free agency sleeper, the coaching staff is gonna have to go back to the drawing board and do work.  It can be done 

The coaching staff should never have even left the drawing board as “doing work” and improving the scheme, personnel, plays, etc should be pretty high up there in the priority list lol. Of course it can be done and that’s why they are compensated so well for their jobs

Get to work boys!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

KC just lost their starting LT and RT. In exchange they got a guard and a DT. They aren't "really going for it." Their moves at best amount to them treading water too. I think the Bills can beat them right now if Allen plays better and we have a better defensive game plan. Yeah pass rush would helped us beat them, but so would a game plan that doesn't leave Kelce wide open within half a second. Jarran Reed wouldn't have made a difference in the AFC Championship last year. Neither would any pass rusher we could have conceivably signed this offseason. We need to figure out how to cover TEs and add some speed on offense in the draft.

Yes! We also need speed on the defensive side of the ball.

23 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not saying it can’t... at this point can’t say I see why they are better than the Chiefs....unless Allen carries the team on his back again and even further next year. 

I am definitely in the camp that wishes we took a blowtorch to our DL, but I do believe the FO is banking on development.  There’s a reason it’s been said that KC is a year ahead of us.  

Allen has no ceiling, but started at a very raw floor.  Who knows how good he can be. 

We do have additions in the trenches coming in for 2021...  Star and Ford “could” be big additions.  Again, yes... potential.  

Have to imagine our entire WR room won’t be hurt when we face KC again.  And Sanders over Brown is an underrated move for the type of coverage KC plays. 

We really have zero holes going into the draft.   Upgrades, sure, but we can legit go BPA.   Have to imagine that KC has some need picks given the way they’ve approached FA.   Will be interesting to see how this plays out.  

2 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

I like the move.  6.5 sacks last year.  10.5 in 2018.

What this actually does is allow KC to move ChrisJones out to end on passing downs.  They did a lot of this in the 2019 AFCCG vat he Titans and it was effective.  

adds depth as well.

It’s a one year deal.  Mahomes is still relatively cheap.  (Tannehill has a higher cap hit this year than Mahomes)

Yes on the Mahomes vs Tannehill cap, but kicking the can will eventually catch up.  Check back 2-3 years from now when your top 10 players already eat up almost all the cap.  

Regarding Reed, I think he is still an above average player inside.  Solid signing. 

2 hours ago, PRBills said:

The coaching staff should never have even left the drawing board as “doing work” and improving the scheme, personnel, plays, etc should be pretty high up there in the priority list lol. Of course it can be done and that’s why they are compensated so well for their jobs

Get to work boys!

Are you talking about the offense, defense, or both?

Scheme was my initial worry when we hired McD. I followed all of those Panthers teams when I lived there. The scheme is “soft.” Not only is the scheme soft, but this is the softest version of his traditionally soft defenses. I know deep down that it’s never going to be good enough. Then we bring in another guy in Frazier that’s always been known to get absolutely torched in any game that mattered throughout his long career.

I just can’t shake this feeling that I have about this defense. I’m sure they’re really nice guys but this scheme worries the hell out of me. Even if we get the perfect personnel, it still just won’t be good enough unless we score 45 points in a SB.

Edited by The Governor

I'm not one to jump on any player that gets released by another team and hope the Bills go after him. However, I was interested in Reed. Would have upgraded a major weakness-- DL.  So far the Bills have retained the whole OL, which was not good enough last year. DL-- pretty much the same deal (added a Carolina guy again).  Reed would have at least been an upgrade over what they have. Focus on the OL (or a top RB) and the D in the draft, I suppose.

I don't get the panic either. If opponents are going to bring more pressure than the Bills need to improve their run game and most notably add speed, and so far they seem to be trying to do that. If both stay healthy this will probably add as much value to the Chiefs as Breida could for us, it's not like the Bills are completely standing still. Feliciano resign helps with this as well.

6 minutes ago, The Governor said:

Are you talking about the offense, defense, or both?

Scheme was my initial worry when we hired McD. I followed all of those Panthers teams when I lived there. The scheme is “soft.” Not only is the scheme soft, but this is the softest version of his traditionally soft defenses. I know deep down that it’s never going to be good enough. Then we bring in another guy in Frazier that’s always been known to get absolutely torched in any game that mattered throughout his long career.

I just can’t shake this feeling that I have about this defense. I’m sure they’re really nice guys but this scheme worries the hell out of me. Even if we get the perfect personnel, it still just won’t be good enough unless we score 45 points in a SB.

I don’t remember their exact ranking, but I believe 2018 and 2019 our defense was top 10 in the nfl. In my opinion 2020 was a fluke year and we should see a much improved unit on the field in 2021. 

we were not prepared for the loss of star in the middle and our line was just way to small to take care of business. Im not sure that people truly realized the value of Star Lotulelei. Is he a super star? No, but he did his job eating the double blocks which opened up our other guys to do their jobs efficiently. Hopefully in the future we will be better prepared with a serviceable back-up DT in case injury happens.

so I guess i do not have the same fear that you have. I am confident in our scheme as long as we have the correct personel to plug and play 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PRBills said:

I don’t remember their exact ranking, but I believe 2018 and 2019 our defense was top 10 in the nfl. In my opinion 2020 was a fluke year and we should see a much improved unit on the field in 2021. 

we were not prepared for the loss of star in the middle and our line was just way to small to take care of business. Im not sure that people truly realized the value of Star Lotulelei. Is he a super star? No, but he did his job eating the double blocks which opened up our other guys to do their jobs efficiently. Hopefully in the future we will be better prepared with a serviceable back-up DT in case injury happens.

so I guess i do not have the same fear that you have. I am confident in our scheme as long as we have the correct personel to plug and play 

I guess I would just feel a lot better if McD handed over those duties to a “proven” coordinator and scheme, and I hope it happens sooner than later or I fear we’ll all be having these same discussions next offseason.

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Is Jarran Reed really that good that we should be panicking over the move? He is a solid run defender but that's about it. It wouldn't have made any sense for us to sign him.

Two years ago, he was a terror.  I remember watching film on Frank Clark and Reed kept popping on the screen, causing havoc all over the field.  I'm not sure what's happened to him since then.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Augie said:

No worries! We will snag an OG in the 5th round who goes All Pro as a rookie, the balance will shift! Have faith! We can run for 250 yards any game we want. 

Maybe. 

We actually already did. Just that Beane traded him to the Browns (I am talking about Wyatt Teller). Can we get lucky twice?