Who thinks teaching is a hard job?

Is teaching a hard job?   

35 members have voted

1. 1. Is teaching a hard job?

• Yes
    • No

8 minutes ago, The Governor said:

NJ announced no virtual option. NY will follow. 

it’s possible that some private schools could remain virtual.

I’d be more afraid of what non-union states will do.

I looked it up and this first article that popped- I am curious what exactly will be a recognized exemption.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nj.com/coronavirus/2021/03/nj-students-teachers-with-health-issues-will-have-virtual-school-option-this-fall-murphy-clarifies.html%3foutputType=amp

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

When children will be vaccinated is still an unknown so my guess is that they’re leaving the door open in case something happens.

I do think that kids likely lost all of their fun snow days moving forward. That kinda sucks if you’re a kid that likes to go sledding.

49 minutes ago, The Governor said:

It isn’t actually happening. I’ve already heard states announce that there won’t be a virtual option for next year. I’m not sure if NY did yet but these are just scare tactics.

That poster is correct about kids not returning to class though. The worst part is that it’s kids of parents who complained about going virtual in the first place that haven’t gone back yet. Schools are open and the kids aren’t going.

Full virtual options all grades in Virginia for 2021 and beyond.  

RIP.

It's a net positive for humanity. 

The NEA nowhere to be found because their leadership and the extreme activists within the Union thinks this is awesome! 

Because no classroom management!

Guess what else it means....the most historic cuts and layoffs in the history of public education in the next 10 years.  

And those extremists that dominate the Union don't care.  They're 45 - 55 anyway on their way out the door by then on 6 figure pension at the beach.  

Online Schools Are Here to Stay, Even After the Pandemic

Some families have come to prefer stand-alone virtual schools and districts are rushing to accommodate them — though questions about remote learning persist.

The districts are racing to set up full-fledged online schools even as concerns mount that remote learning has taken a substantial toll on many children’s academic progress and emotional health. Parents and lawmakers, alarmed by the situation, have urged schools to reopen. Last month, Gov. Phil Murphy, a Democrat, went so far as to say there should be no remote learning option for children in New Jersey this fall.

Even so, at least several hundred of the nation’s 13,000 school districts have established virtual schools this academic year, with an eye to operating them for years to come, education researchers said. Unlike many makeshift pandemic school programs, these stand-alone virtual schools have their own teachers, who work only with remote students and use curriculums designed for online learning.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/11/technology/remote-learning-online-school.html

Warning you now College kids in Education careers.  

Gtfo.  

22 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Full virtual options all grades in Virginia for 2021 and beyond.  

Virginia is losing its collective mind on education. 

There is some component of virtual schooling that can be employed to help access. But kids need the unstructured learning of the playground, being present an accountable to others in position of authority. 

I just heard some of the parent teacher meetings around iep will stay virtual. That’s probably good. 

15 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Virginia is losing its collective mind on education. 

There is some component of virtual schooling that can be employed to help access. But kids need the unstructured learning of the playground, being present an accountable to others in position of authority. 

I just heard some of the parent teacher meetings around iep will stay virtual. That’s probably good. 

Im in VA. My daughters private school has been awesome.

50 minutes ago, The Governor said:

Isn’t the South lovely?

Like I said.

If I have no kids; no vested interest in not seeing their childhoods completely ruined by losing the center piece of their social lives at school......this is the greatest development for conservatives in perhaps the history of the Republic.  

Indoctrination centers self imploding.

This will also put Colleges on the Brink - there literally is going to be near zero need for brick and mortar college in 5 years maybe less.  

For those wondering why their Republican Governors would be good with this, that's why.  

For those wondering why their Democrat governors would be, it's because they are taking orders from the Unions, who are not thinking clearly or only are looking out for themselves  - those with 20 plus years already clocked in.  They don't care.  

17 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Like I said.

If I have no kids; no vested interest in not seeing their childhoods completely ruined by losing the center piece of their social lives at school......this is the greatest development for conservatives in perhaps the history of the Republic.  

Indoctrination centers self imploding.

This will also put Colleges on the Brink - there literally is going to be near zero need for brick and mortar college in 5 years maybe less.  

For those wondering why their Republican Governors would be good with this, that's why.  

For those wondering why their Democrat governors would be, it's because they are taking orders from the Unions, who are not thinking clearly or only are looking out for themselves  - those with 20 plus years already clocked in.  They don't care.  

Liberals, as usual, have it backwards.  Instead of having me subsidize someone's college education why not work on making college more affordable.  Online college should really become a big thing.  It would become extremely affordable.  The social aspect of college would be lost which is important but it would go a long way in cutting the cost. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Liberals, as usual, have it backwards.  Instead of having me subsidize someone's college education why not work on making college more affordable.  Online college should really become a big thing.  It would become extremely affordable.  The social aspect of college would be lost which is important but it would go a long way in cutting the cost. 

I agree to a point.  Online classes would be very helpful, but not as practical depending on the course.  I teach physiology, and the lecture component of such a class is doable on line.  The lab is not; labs by their inherent nature are best done by getting your hands in there and doing things.  My younger daughter is a freshman right now, and is going into music therapy.  While some of her classes work well on line, it is very difficult to do her voice and instrument classes in that venue.  Those really require being in person.  

I have taught at college and medical/graduate schools for decades now, and would emphasize the social aspects of the learning environment.  I think that, for some kids, the social aspects of college may be as important as the academics.  College gives a kid the opportunity, and the challenge, of developing their own sense of values, their own sense of work ethic, the ability to work together with others and to develop socially so they can function when they get into the working world.  In one of the classes I teach,  I challenge my students to develop the ability to think, not just regurgitate information which is unfortunately what many are taught through high school and earlier college years.  I also demand accountability, which in the era of helicopter parents is sadly lacking in many students. 

The affordability is a real issue.  I am an advocate for just putting a realistic number on it and going forward.  Right now a private college is around 30-60 k a year, and half of that gets cut immediately as a "scholarship" if you have halfway decent grades.  Just make it realistic.  

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I agree to a point.  Online classes would be very helpful, but not as practical depending on the course.  I teach physiology, and the lecture component of such a class is doable on line.  The lab is not; labs by their inherent nature are best done by getting your hands in there and doing things.  My younger daughter is a freshman right now, and is going into music therapy.  While some of her classes work well on line, it is very difficult to do her voice and instrument classes in that venue.  Those really require being in person.  

I have taught at college and medical/graduate schools for decades now, and would emphasize the social aspects of the learning environment.  I think that, for some kids, the social aspects of college may be as important as the academics.  College gives a kid the opportunity, and the challenge, of developing their own sense of values, their own sense of work ethic, the ability to work together with others and to develop socially so they can function when they get into the working world.  In one of the classes I teach,  I challenge my students to develop the ability to think, not just regurgitate information which is unfortunately what many are taught through high school and earlier college years.  I also demand accountability, which in the era of helicopter parents is sadly lacking in many students. 

The affordability is a real issue.  I am an advocate for just putting a realistic number on it and going forward.  Right now a private college is around 30-60 k a year, and half of that gets cut immediately as a "scholarship" if you have halfway decent grades.  Just make it realistic.  

Points taken. 

What would you consider realistic?  

Do you agree or disagree with taxpayer funded college education?  

21 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Points taken. 

What would you consider realistic?  

Do you agree or disagree with taxpayer funded college education?  

Realistic depends on public vs. private school.  I think state universities in general are OK; I got both my degrees from UB and got a solid education.  And the work force and the research you get from that investment as a state seems reasonable.  For a student’s cost, I would say maybe 5 k a year for a state school , maybe  20-25 k max for private.  Those are off the top my head and I’d need to see detailed budgets. In general at a research university I’d have research professors who have to generate their income through grants and teaching faculty that are funded by the school.  And probably have fewer faculty overall.

Edited by oldmanfan

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Realistic depends on public vs. private school.  I think state universities in general are OK; I got both my degrees from UB and got a solid education.  And the work force and the research you get from that investment as a state seems reasonable.  For a student’s cost, I would say maybe 5 k a year for a state school , maybe  20-25 k max for private.  Those are off the top my head and I’d need to see detailed budgets. In general at a research university I’d have research professors who have to generate their income through grants and teaching faculty that are funded by the school.  And probably have fewer faculty overall.

Thank you.  However you missed my second question. 

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

No, my question regarding taxpayer funded college education.  

What are you asking?  Yes, I think taxpayer funded public education is OK.  I said that.  Are you asking how much they, meaning state budgets i.e. taxpayer funds, should pay?  I'd go 50:50 with the student as a starting point.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

What are you asking?  Yes, I think taxpayer funded public education is OK.  I said that.  Are you asking how much they, meaning state budgets i.e. taxpayer funds, should pay?  I'd go 50:50 with the student as a starting point.

Your original response was convoluted.   Thank you for clarifying.  

Why should I be required to fund someone else's voluntary choice to get a degree?  

First, the largest University in the nation is the University of Phoenix. It has no buildings. 

Second, the problem with funding college is that it only serves to move the goal posts. There’s no magic to getting a degree. This isn’t the Wizard of Oz! As soon as everyone has a cheap college diploma then employers will be asking for a masters degree, and the cycle continues. Students are in competition with EACH OTHER for a limited number of jobs. Magically creating college graduates doesn’t magically create more jobs.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

First, the largest University in the nation is the University of Phoenix. It has no buildings. 

Second, the problem with funding college is that it only serves to move the goal posts. There’s no magic to getting a degree. This isn’t the Wizard of Oz! As soon as everyone has a cheap college diploma then employers will be asking for a masters degree, and the cycle continues. Students are in competition with EACH OTHER for a limited number of jobs. Magically creating college graduates doesn’t magically create more jobs.

I think a personality test and a peek at someone’s social media (LinkedIn) is far more valuable than any degree ever would be.