Another week, another mass murder

2 minutes ago, ALF said:

The family of the Indiana shooter reported him as a danger , the FBI closed his case. If you see something say something, right.

Nope. Slippery slope.  I don't like you or your politics?

Hello FBI.  Yeah it's Chef Jim....yes me again.  This dude Alf.   I heard him saying some crazy ***** about how he wants to blah blah blah.   

What if you don't even own a weapon?  I just don't like you.  

As of now we have no means (at least not that I know of) to check up on current gun owners.  My wife has had her permit (I had a medical marijuana card and at the time couldn't get a permit...damn stoners) since 2013 and has never had to renew it or heard anything from ATF or whoever controls that. 

14 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Well let me lay this out again

1.  Make it a requirement to have gun permits renewed on a regular basis.   Requiring deep dive background checks and going through a CE style classes in order to renew the permit

2.  You fail the background check and it is determined (not sure what the metrics would be) that you could be a threat to yourself or others you lose your permit.  Do you lose your guns at that time?  I would think so.  

3.  There should be deep dives into a person's background before they get their first weapon and renew their permit.  Including but not limited to social media and interviews of people you are associated with  

None of my ideas restricts the access to firearms by people of sound mind.  

You and others on the left can wring your hands and focus on the weapons of choice and not the brain that chose to use it for harm. 

Thank you for delineating what needs to be done, because you are one of very few on the right on  PPP who supports sensible restrictions on the people who use guns.  The general mindset of many conservatives -- and certainly the political stance of almost all Republican politicians -- remains the NRA goal of insuring that any nut can acquire as many guns of any kind that he/she can amass.  They hollowly offer platitudes like "thoughts and prayers" but do nothing.  They don't even try.

My only difference with your suggestions is that I would ban the military style semi-automatic rifles for civilian use, which are not sporting guns -- unless you consider killing people a "sport".   There are semi-automatic shotguns and rifles used for hunting and target shooting which should be allowed.  We need to come up with a legal definition that separates sporting guns from the people killers, which has been an excuse for doing nothing about these most lethal weapons for decades.

Hello FBI.  Yeah it's Chef Jim....yes me again.  This dude Alf.   I heard him saying some crazy ***** about how he wants to blah blah blah.   

What if you don't even own a weapon?  I just don't like you.  

As of now we have no means (at least not that I know of) to check up on current gun owners.  My wife has had her permit (I had a medical marijuana card and at the time couldn't get a permit...damn stoners) since 2013 and has never had to renew it or heard anything from ATF or whoever controls that. 

2360CF75-9E44-416B-A73E-30B2B4040DCE.jpeg

25 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Thank you for delineating what needs to be done, because you are one of very few on the right on  PPP who supports sensible restrictions on the people who use guns.  The general mindset of many conservatives -- and certainly the political stance of almost all Republican politicians -- remains the NRA goal of insuring that any nut can acquire as many guns of any kind that he/she can amass.  They hollowly offer platitudes like "thoughts and prayers" but do nothing.  They don't even try.

My only difference with your suggestions is that I would ban the military style semi-automatic rifles for civilian use, which are not sporting guns -- unless you consider killing people a "sport".   There are semi-automatic shotguns and rifles used for hunting and target shooting which should be allowed.  We need to come up with a legal definition that separates sporting guns from the people killers, which has been an excuse for doing nothing about these most lethal weapons for decades.

I have news for you. All guns can be used as “people killers”. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

Make a false report , go to jail

13 minutes ago, ALF said:

Make a false report , go to jail

Prove you're not mentally unstable?  See I just reported I thought you were mentally unstable.  I saw him doing________  I heard him say ________ .  I want to ***** you up it's easy.  Remember the law is to protect society from bad things.   Sure that can be done now but this could go very far in the wrong direction.  So we potentially locked up one person but we could have potentially save many lives. That's a win in those that want to protect us from bad things.   In my idea those with guns will have to "prove" their mental stability annually.  

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Prove you're not mentally unstable?  See I just reported I thought you were mentally unstable.  I saw him doing________  I heard him say ________ .  I want to ***** you up it's easy.  Remember the law is to protect society from bad things.   Sure that can be done now but this could go very far in the wrong direction.  So we potentially locked up one person but we could have potentially save many lives. That's a win in those that want to protect us from bad things.   In my idea those with guns will have to "prove" their mental stability annually.  

I like your ideas on this.  I do think we have to decide, as Scalia suggests in Heller, what arms we as a society deem appropriate for ownership.  I am fine with people having guns, but question the need for guns where you can shoot potentially hundreds of bullets in a minute.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I like your ideas on this.  I do think we have to decide, as Scalia suggests in Heller, what arms we as a society deem appropriate for ownership.  I am fine with people having guns, but question the need for guns where you can shoot potentially hundreds of bullets in a minute.

If you noticed my idea says nothing about what types of guns we can own.  Eliminating what types of guns we can own will NOT fix this. 

38 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

If there were no guns available thd mental situation would be less concerning

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So if someone with mental issue that causes a proclivity to kill will not care what type of gun is available to them. 

Yes, but there’s a difference between a gun that shoots a few bullets vs. dozens in a given time period.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Yes, but there’s a difference between a gun that shoots a few bullets vs. dozens in a given time period.

What number of shots over what period of time would be acceptable to you? 

A few bullets.  :doh:

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

What number of shots over what period of time would be acceptable to you? 

A few bullets.  :doh:

Six or less in a minute just as an example. That might have saved a couple people here in Indy the other day.  Or some kids at Sandy Hook.  Or some folks in Las Vegas.  Or so on.  

Limit the ammunition it gives people time to take cover and/or use their own gun to take out the shooter before he can kill more people.  Rather than absolutist positions, have a calm and reasoned discussion.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

If you noticed my idea says nothing about what types of guns we can own.  Eliminating what types of guns we can own will NOT fix this. 

Partly true.   An experienced muzzleloader user can get off maybe 2 shots in a minute.  A lucky shooter with a semi-automatic rifle can get off 20-30 rounds in a minute.  An experienced shooter can reload and get off many more shots.   Limiting the types of guns civilians can own won't stop the entire problem but it can certainly lessen the carnage.

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

Partly true.   An experienced muzzleloader user can get off maybe 2 shots in a minute.  A lucky shooter with a semi-automatic rifle can get off 20-30 rounds in a minute.  An experienced shooter can reload and get off many more shots.   Limiting the types of guns civilians can own won't stop the entire problem but it can certainly lessen the carnage.

It’s basic math