Terrorist has a bad day, murders 8 in Atlanta

716er

42 minutes ago, wnyguy said:

So you're saying because Trump called it kung flu it sparked killing and violence against Asian Americans? C'mon man.

Yes it did.  Here’s a couple examples from personal experience.

1.  I mentioned above the Vietnamese restaurant next to my daughter’s campus that was attacked.  Among the slurs written all over the walls were Kung Flu.  So yes, if you haven’t figured it out yet words have consequences.

2.   Early in in the pandemic a friend of my daughter (adopted the same day; we travelled with her parents) and her younger sister (also adopted from China) went to the grocery store to pick something up for their mother.  A clerk looked at them and told them they don’t serve people like them, that they were why people were dying, and acted very threatening towards them.  Two teenage kids who have been in our country since infancy and as are American as you can get.

So you can take your denial and put it where the sun doesn’t shine.  Open your eyes and read the news.  Attacks on those of Asian heritage have risen greatly in the last year, and it doesn’t take a genius to see a main reason why.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

1.  I mentioned above the Vietnamese restaurant next to my daughter’s campus that was attacked.  Among the slurs written all over the walls were Kung Flu.  So yes, if you haven’t figured it out yet words have consequences.

2.   Early in in the pandemic a friend of my daughter (adopted the same day; we travelled with her parents) and her younger sister (also adopted from China) went to the grocery store to pick something up for their mother.  A clerk looked at them and told them they don’t serve people like them, that they were why people were dying, and acted very threatening towards them.  Two teenage kids who have been in our country since infancy and as are American as you can get.

So you can take your denial and put it where the sun doesn’t shine.  Open your eyes and read the news.  Attacks on those of Asian heritage have risen greatly in the last year, and it doesn’t take a genius to see a main reason why.

It is my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the majority of violence against Asian Americans have been done by black thugs and not conservative republicans. So blame Trump all you want but it doesn't ring true with what is happening. 

8 minutes ago, wnyguy said:

It is my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the majority of violence against Asian Americans have been done by black thugs and not conservative republicans. So blame Trump all you want but it doesn't ring true with what is happening. 

I have seen no data to support the contention you claim, suggesting it is blacks that are primarily responsible.  Bottom line is that in 2020 attacks against Asians is way up.

4 hours ago, ALF said:

I don't know why asians  would take this terrible case as a hate crime. The guy was a nut case 

Gee I wonder why?  I'll tell ya why.  The main stream media crammed it down our throats as such with virtually no proof.   

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I want to hear from every single person posting in this thread.  Answer one simple question for me: is targeting Asian people just because they are Asian OK with you or not?  Everyone should say no.  And if you don't, you should be glad I don't run into you in person. 

What point are you trying to make here and what does this have to do with the ATL shooting?

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Wait a minute...the virus came from China and they tagged a Vietnamese restaurant? This is just one more reason to open the schools!  We need a geography class.

• Agree 2

I appreciate your kind thoughts about my daughter and others like her.  Two points:

1.  I absolutely agree that using mistreatment of those in the AAPI community as a political pawn is wrong.  No question.

2.  You can criticize the Chinese government without that being racist.

With your permission I will give two examples of the inability of some on the Left to discern the obvious difference of legitimate criticism and Anti-Asian racism.

U. San Diego Law Prof. Thomas Smith Harshly Criticized Chinese Gov’t, Now Faces False Claims Of Ethnic Bias (Update)

Thomas Smith, a corporate law professor at University of San Diego Law School since 1992, is the target of a malicious and dishonest smear campaign by students falsely claiming that in a blog post Prof. Smith disparaged the Chinese ethnic group.

https://legalinsurrection.com/2021/03/u-san-diego-law-prof-thomas-smith-harshly-criticized-chinese-govt-now-faces-false-claims-of-ethnic-bias/

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Wait a minute...the virus came from China and they tagged a Vietnamese restaurant? This is just one more reason to open the schools!  We need a geography class.

This is one of the issues of bias my daughter would cite.  Many people just see someone who looks Asian and lumps them together, whereas there are significant appearance and culturally differences between Asian countries.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

This is one of the issues of bias my daughter would cite.  Many people just see someone who looks Asian and lumps them together, whereas there are significant appearance and culturally differences between Asian countries.

Isn't the same true with white people?  All of this race baiting nonsense really needs to stop.

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Gee I wonder why?  I'll tell ya why.  The main stream media crammed it down our throats as such with virtually no proof.   

What point are you trying to make here and what does this have to do with the ATL shooting?

I responded to someone questioning why some look at the Atlanta shooting as a hate crime.  Those with Asian backgrounds as my daughter see it that way because they have been targeted with much greater frequency in the last year and they are scared.  I also responded to someone questioning if the rhetoric used over the past year about the virus had anything to do with it.  It has.

As the father of an Asian daughter I am asking, demanding really, that we as a society recognize that this group is being targeted.  Maybe not by this piece of filth in Atlanta, but there is no question it is happening across our country and it needs to stop.

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Isn't the same true with white people?  All of this race baiting nonsense really needs to stop.

I agree.  We can start by demanding bias and targeting of Asian people stops.  I am particularly concerned with that group because of my daughter, but we should do so for all groups that are targeted.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I responded to someone questioning why some look at the Atlanta shooting as a hate crime.  Those with Asian backgrounds as my daughter see it that way because they have been targeted with much greater frequency in the last year and they are scared.  I also responded to someone questioning if the rhetoric used over the past year about the virus had anything to do with it.  It has.

As the father of an Asian daughter I am asking, demanding really, that we as a society recognize that this group is being targeted.  Maybe not by this piece of filth in Atlanta, but there is no question it is happening across our country and it needs to stop.

I realize this is personal for you, but I don't know of anyone who is advocating for violence against Asians!  (Not even Donald Trump.)  If people can't separate the difference between the Chinese Communist Party and people of Asian descent we have a major problem with our school system.

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I realize this is personal for you, but I don't know of anyone who is advocating for violence against Asians!  (Not even Donald Trump.)  If people can't separate the difference between the Chinese Communist Party and people of Asian descent we have a major problem with our school system.

My daughter and her friends live in fear of it every day.  I know I have a personal stake in this but why the hell can’t we just agree this needs to stop without trying to parse the issue?

51 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I agree.  We can start by demanding bias and targeting of Asian people stops.  I am particularly concerned with that group because of my daughter, but we should do so for all groups that are targeted.

Demand all you want (Jesus I hate that word.  "We Demand")  You're going to be sorely disappointed.  I assume you know who have the most hatred against Asians in this world don't you?  Yeah that's right.  Other Asians.  I worked with a Japanese girl. We became great friends.  I used to tease her and really piss her off by calling her Korean.  Then we hired a Korean woman.  Keep in mind they were both born here in the US but they HATED each other for one reason and one reason only....race! 

So bottom line.  We are all different.  We all have different cultures.  Some people of different cultures hate each other.  Unfortunately it's who we are as a species.  Been happening since year one of our existence.  I laughed my ass off yesterday.  Saw a young boy with a guy who I assumed was his dad holding signs "Stop Asian Hate"  Yeah that's gonna do a lot of good.  

Sorry for the cynicism but that's how I roll. 

9 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

My daughter and her friends live in fear of it every day.  I know I have a personal stake in this but why the hell can’t we just agree this needs to stop without trying to parse the issue?

because society is parsing it with hypocracy. the media tryed portraying the tragedy as a white supremist who was influenced by trump rhetoric when in reality cardi b's sexually explicit music videos seem to have had more influence on this demented individuals actions. but that doesn't stop the narrative from being pushed and fools who only go surface deep into stories in believing just another of the many lies they push to fortify a false narrative.

how do you address a problem that is not even being presented? the far left has expressed asians have "white privalege" because they do so well in the education system, are successful and go against the minority suppression narrative. don't you think this promotes hatred towards a group based on race as much as supremist rhetoric? 

seeing as asians are disproportionately attacked by people that cannot simply be pushed into a "white supremist" category, at least according to the most intensive study i could find. 

https://www.amren.com/features/2020/12/race-and-crime-who-attacks-whom/

to fix this problem we have to be honest about the causes. right now, the far leftist pushing racist nonsense are getting ignored by the press and advocated by the government! white supremist are rightly seen as evil by society while leftist pushing their ideology are seen as empathetic. 

until both are seen as the racists they are, then the crimes of one will always be ignored. so it must be continuously identified by the actual reasoning behind it and call out the lies that we are presented. 

i dont want your daughter to face hatred by white supremists anymore then i want her forced to earn a higher SAT score that may limit her opportunities. i don't want her to face hate for being "privileged" or be segragated into a group not of her choosing. shes a individual. its all racist bs, I agree it all has to be treated as such but at this point, it is not.

Edited by Buffarukus
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/22/2021 at 2:21 PM, oldmanfan said:

I have seen no data to support the contention you claim, suggesting it is blacks that are primarily responsible.  Bottom line is that in 2020 attacks against Asians is way up.

Your comment about "no data" To back up the black on asian crime means you simply are not looking. The attacks have almost exclusively been in inner cities, and if you Google "man attacks asian" - atlanta the first 9 stories are about blacks and Hispanics. Lastly this high quality piece from Slate tries to pretend that the majority is not Blacks by adding "not all" to the report. I understand you are upset because your daughter does not feel safe but the blame for the majority of the cases is from inner city people, who are by and large democrats https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/03/anti-asian-violence-bay-area-history-black-communities-race.html

Edited by Buffalo Timmy

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Your comment about "no data" To back up the black on asian crime means you simply are not looking. The attacks have almost exclusively been in inner cities, and if you Google "man attacks asian" - atlanta the first 9 stories are about blacks and Hispanics. Lastly this high quality piece from Slate tries to pretend that the majority is not Blacks by adding "not all" to the report. I understand you are upset because your daughter does not feel safe but the blame for the majority of the cases is from inner city people, who are by and large democrats https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/03/anti-asian-violence-bay-area-history-black-communities-race.html

I don’t really care what the ethnicity is of the people attacking Adan Americans.  It is wrong no matter what.  As I said above can we not all just agree it is wrong without parsing the issue?

11 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I don’t really care what the ethnicity is of the people attacking Adan Americans.  It is wrong no matter what.  As I said above can we not all just agree it is wrong without parsing the issue?

It is wrong to physically attack people unprovoked no matter race, creed or politics. You are parsing the issue when you only care that Asians are being attacked. Everyone killed in Colorado is white and I don't care why that guy did it, hold him responsible 

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

there is not a single person from any side i ever seen that doesn't think this crime was wrong. there is no divide on this. when it comes to stopping it i gave pretty in depth response into why parsing it is necessary. to be preventive means finding the reasoning instead of reactive after it happens. maybe I'm wrong but I'm interested to know why.

i won't press the subject further as you ignored my comment. maybe I'm blocked from our last exchange, either way, i hope you come around.

Edited by Buffarukus

2 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

there is not a single person from any side i ever seen that doesn't think this crime was wrong. there is no divide on this. when it comes to stopping it i gave pretty in depth response into why parsing it is necessary. to be preventive means finding the reasoning instead of reactive after it happens. maybe I'm wrong but I'm interested to know why.

i won't press the subject further as you ignored my comment. maybe I'm blocked from our last exchange, either way, i hope you come around.

I read your comment and you made some very good points.

6 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

It is wrong to physically attack people unprovoked no matter race, creed or politics. You are parsing the issue when you only care that Asians are being attacked. Everyone killed in Colorado is white and I don't care why that guy did it, hold him responsible 

I agree.  But attacks in Asians are way up in the past year and I have a personal stake in this because of my daughter.  I do not deny that.

I agree.  But attacks in Asians are way up in the past year and I have a personal stake in this because of my daughter.  I do not deny that.

I was married in the Philippines when stationed there in the early 70's but we live in a small city , the police know the bad actors by name.  So my wife is not afraid , just describe someone to police  and they say we know him.