Lunch today - spinach dumplings

Punching Bag

My wife has said many times she does not know how to cook and we disagree with her.

When she lived at home she had no need to cook for her mother handled the cooking and she did not move out until she got married.

I bought her a Chinese cookbook which she uses occasionally to cook a new dish.

The one thing it does not teach is presentation but I noticed recently she has been preparing dishes like they do in pictures in book.

Spinach-Dumplings.jpg

Spinach dumplings with additional spinach on the plate surrounding the dumplings.

She is a kitchen manager for a school and has to cook occasionally when cook is out but it is not really cooking but just reheating prepared items.

I am wondering when she retires how many more items she will learn to prepare.

There is a Bills player who eats spinach every day first for the nutrition but does not like it.

I am wondering if someone introduced spinach to him Chinese style would he learn to love it.

I grew up eating spinach prepared from frozen spinach books my mother obtained from food pantry and never liked it.

It was not until I ate spinach Chinese style did I learn to love it and it became a staple in my diet.

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

My understanding is it's a lot more nutritious eaten raw than cooked.

Incorrect if you are eating it for iron and calcium but may be better for some of the vitamins.

A 100-gram serving of raw spinach contains 2.71 mg of iron, whereas cooked spinach contains 3.57 mg.

The leafy green is packed with nutrients, but you'll absorb more calcium and iron if you eat it cooked. The reason: Spinach is loaded with oxalic acid, which blocks the absorption of iron and calcium but breaks down under high temperatures.

https://www.consumerreports.org/fruits-vegetables/vegetables-that-are-healthier-cooked/

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Where’s the rest of the meal ? 

Can she whip up another batch with meat in them so we don’t all starve ? 

The meat is inside the dumplings.  Sorry I did not cut one in half showing it but I posted picture for I was proud of her presentation.

And my wife does not make пельмень (Russian dumplings) although I do like them as appetizers. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

My wife has said many times she does not know how to cook and we disagree with her.

When she lived at home she had no need to cook for her mother handled the cooking and she did not move out until she got married.

The one thing it does not teach is presentation but I noticed recently she has been preparing dishes like they do in pictures in book.

Spinach-Dumplings.jpg

Spinach dumplings with additional spinach on the plate surrounding the dumplings.

She is a kitchen manager for a school and has to cook occasionally when cook is out but it is not really cooking but just reheating prepared items.

There is a Bills player who eats spinach every day first for the nutrition but does not like it.

I am wondering if someone introduced spinach to him Chinese style would he learn to love it.

I grew up eating spinach prepared from frozen spinach books my mother obtained from food pantry and never liked it.

It was not until I ate spinach Chinese style did I learn to love it and it became a staple in my diet.

Great presentation!

Oddly, I had dumplings today for lunch which is rare, but they didn’t look like that and were steamed but not nearly as healthy with spinach. 

I’m a spinach fan. One of my favorite “go to” meals when I get back to Sarasota is a blackened chicken spinach salad with blue cheese and tomato near our old house. OK, wishing I had not just thought of that......yum.......

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Spinach-Dumplings.jpg

Looks great!

I was reading a kids book with my children the other day where two Chinese twins made dumplings, and so my son and I decided to give it a shot to make them Ourselves. 

Made pork dumplings from scratch, including making my own dough for the wrappers. Not spinach, but they came out pretty close to restaurant quality. 

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Looks great!

Made pork dumplings from scratch, including making my own dough for the wrappers. Not spinach, but they came out pretty close to restaurant quality. 

Thank you.

I bought a pound of ground lamb this week from Lidl.  Great store except they have lots of things which go out of stock and never come back due to way they buy items.  I bought some sliced ridged pickled beets and the juice is so good I have been drinking it in morning to get rid of the morning breath taste.

206935_500x500.jpg

We bought some leeks and I am hoping my wife has time to make some homemade lamb and leek dumplings next weekend.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.