franchise/transition tag

dbfla10

4 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

Are any of the bills FA worth using either tag on? Who was the last Bill to be tagged?

The franchise tag is the average of the top 5 players salaries at that position.

To me there are only 2 Bills worthy of that kind of money and they are both still under contract :)

• Like (+1) 1

Can't tag anyone with our cap situation. 

Beane is going to need to wield a creative scalpel when it comes to contracts and capology this year, and a heavy hit like a franchise tag won't work.

The Milano LB tag would be an option under differing circumstances. It's not that far off the actual projected per year value...but this LB number has been sculpted by pass rushers, not workman coverage LBs who play gritty. I know, a few of those guys have gotten big deals, sporadically, (see Milano thread) and they've nearly all been bad for the NFL and bad calls.

BTW I really disagree with the acknowledged per year value for Matt, and I'm just not comfortable with paying anything close to that much for him.

Transition tag # is rarely worth it, and teams can craft poison pill deals. This is amplified when a team is in tight cap situation, as the notion the player may get signed with a matching offer, or a sign of tag, can hold the FA process hostage.

The tag system is slowly breaking...and it's really rarely worth it.

Edited by RichRiderBills

37 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

With the salary cap being down I don't think there will be alot of tags being thrown around by the league in general. 

How foolish does Dak Prescott look right now refusing to sign last year. No way he gets the same offer. 

I wonder if he has Nomor’s agent

12 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

With the salary cap being down I don't think there will be alot of tags being thrown around by the league in general. 

How foolish does Dak Prescott look right now refusing to sign last year. No way he gets the same offer. 

I think it’s pretty much a lock that Dak gets more actually. A few of the Cowboys writers I follow were talking about it a day or two saying he’ll likely be able to get $38-40 mil per year now versus the $32ish Dallas offered last year. 

19 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

What would Milano be on a Franchise Tag?

So last year it was 15M but they are thinking with lower cap it will be 13 range.  1 year at that rate if we can find the money isn't a bad play and then we draft his replacement. 

Just a hunch on my part, but I have a hard time seeing the NFL lopping off $15-20m from the salary cap in 2021.  Yes it’s a possibility, but if all their TV contracts are extended for 10 years like is being reported, I can’t see them punishing the current players that much so the guys playing 5-10 years down the road benefit.  Especially when the current guys are the ones who kept the League going during a pandemic.