From mediocrity to MVP candidate - article on JA by ESPN - nicely done.

24 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

You could also roll out the 5 minute lowlight reel of receivers dropping passes that attributed to his "accuracy" issues since most of the guys that said he was inaccurate were basically just going by the narrative already in place and then looking at the stat sheet of each game.

Josh coming out of college and even in 2018 and 2019 had accuracy issues. But particularly coming out of college it seemed like (and this was a great point from Mel Kiper) there were a lot of factors that made Josh's accuracy look worse than it was. Mainly that his receivers had a lot of drops and that the offense was a downfield passing offense that had less easy dump offs and screens than the average NCAA offense. 

Now that's not to say that Josh didn't have issues with footwork and decision making coming out of college and there was a bit of concern about his ability to process. But given how high his wonderlic was and how hard working he was I think the Bills understood that his issues were fixable. And by his second pro-season he was a much more accurate QB particularly in the short range where he struggled at times in 2018 and in college. It was insane how people didn't have at least some understanding of how much better he was accuracy wise in 2019 if you are going to do a big article about it.

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Sorry, but I think this is wrong.  Before the season started, I said - and I was not alone - that Allen probably would be a top 10-15 QB and possibly top 10.  I said that sometime by his fifth season, and maybe earlier, he'd be recognized as one of the top QBs in the league.   I'm not saying this to say how talented I am - as I said, other people saw this, too.   All you had to do was watch the parade of great, great plays he made in his first two seasons, the almost unbelievable throws, throws that were as good as the best we see from Rodgers, watch his improvement, watch his leadership, and listen to what his coaches and teammates were saying about him.   It wasn't an absolute certainty that he would become a star, but it seemed pretty likely.  

In fact, all you had to was watch Allen's first season in Buffalo.   In May following his first season, I wrote this about him:  

It's incredible to watch, for sure, but that doesn't mean people didn't see it coming.   

I'm not wrong. I said no serious analyst, not Bills fans. Of course we might say something, but we've said the same for decades and have been proven wrong. Serious analysts are supposed to be right 33-50% of the time, fans are usually wrong 90%+ of the time either because we have either too much enthusiasm or complete despair. Read the thread after we lost the playoffs. It was literally wrist slitting territory. 

Also, a few great throws does not make a QB. Complete good games do. He had probably 2-3 out of 32 in his 1st 2 seasons. You hope to get 3-5 the next season, not the majority of all of his games for the whole season. Allen was a genuine freak of nature for the jump he made. I was hoping for a QB around 10-12th in throwing stats and the 2nd best runner behind Jackson with improvements in year 4 and 5. I am more than pleasantly surprised and he's literally in a league of his own if he continues to work hard. 

9 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Without dinking and dunking:

But this year, Allen connected on 69.2% of his passes, the 25th-best single season in NFL history, on his way to setting a franchise record for passing yards.

You know who has never had a season in which he completed at least 69.2% of his passes? Tom Brady.  aka softball liker

Neither has Peyton Manning. The only players ahead of Allen (81.7) in QBR this year? Aaron Rodgers (84.4) and Patrick Mahomes (82.9).

How on earth did the quarterbacking equivalent of scrawny Steve Rogers become, over the course of three years, Buffalo's Captain America?

🤣

• Like (+1) 1

To me the thing about Allen was the accuracy idea that it can't improve.

I think that's true if you just have a scattershot arm, but if you issue is all on mechanics that can be improved upon.   When Taylor was here, he'd threw many inaccurate passes.  However I don't recall people talking abut his mechanics being bad, he just was inaccurate.

Allen worked on his mechanics.  After his rookie year he went back and worked in off season.  It did seem to help some but not too much likely case of in practice when he was nice and calm, he'd remember everything, but once the real bullets started flying, he'd often revert back to old bad habits.  It took another whole year to finally get enough reps to the point where the good mechanics became a natural thing for him to do and could do it without thinking. Couple that with as they always say, the game has slowed down for him, so less need for any panic to set in.  Also implemented some new training methods too.

You could argue this is really only his 5th year of any high level football, 3 in Buffalo and 2 in Wyoming which many would argue wasn't that high a level to begin with

11 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

That was fantastic. Thank you for sharing.

1 hour ago, TH3 said:

..At the end the author doesn’t apologize for being wrong....he can’t bring himself to do it....instead he “forgives” JA....weak

Huh?

He forgave him for making him look like an idiot:

"I forgive him for making me, and so many others, look like an idiot."

16 minutes ago, Peter said:

That was fantastic. Thank you for sharing.

Huh?

He forgave him for making him look like an idiot:

"I forgive him for making me, and so many others, look like an idiot."

Sorry .....JA has to forgive no sportswriter.....author should just say he was wrong and leave his “forgiveness” out of it

Edited by TH3

If nobody's mentioned it yet (too lazy to read through all the responses), click on the link to the Orlovsky story and watch the video.  Even his high school highlights were outrageous!  Loved the Wyoming stuff too. 

Incidentally, I would love to get a link to all his Wyoming games.  Anyone have any suggestions?

2 hours ago, TH3 said:

Sorry .....JA has to forgive no sportswriter.....author should just say he was wrong and leave his “forgiveness” out of it

The writer was making a joke. No reason to take offense.

15 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Good article.... Allen passed the eye test since the game against Jacksonville in 2018. You could tell he was a player from that game on, IMO. 

No doubt.  While the Minnesota game gave me chills and hope, the Jacksonville game made me believe. 

Jordan Palmers tutelage to fix his base and arm angle + Josh’s hard work, super human athleticism and ability to process information = an extremely lucky Bills Mafia

its going to be a glorious next 12+ years of football

36 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I was banging the table to not get Rosen, but ill admit I didn't think there was much difference between Mason Rudolph and josh allen... I guess I was a little wrong.

Ouch.  Mason Rudolph!?!?? 

I was a rosen guy too.  I feel vindicated because I also said that Josh Allen was THE prototype QB.  Never had I seen a QB with that combination of arm talent and mobility.  I was angry about the pick for about 5 minutes and latched on to: **** it, we just drafted the QB with the highest ceiling I’ve ever seen.  

it’s such a joy watching him climb to reach that ceiling.....that ceiling that might not even exist.  This is just the beginning.....scary to think that he’s just getting better every week