The Cam Lewis Appreciation Thread

Homegrown UB CB Cam Lewis played a bit of ST his first 3 weeks hopping up and down from the practice squad and played a bit of ST.  Then in early October, he was promoted to replace the injured Levi Wallace and played 65 defensive snaps against Tenn, making some strong plays including 8 tackles and a stop on Derrick Henry at the LOS (which is more than we can say for Josh "Flying Lessons" Norman).  He injured his wrist the following week against the Chiefs, but gamely practiced and showed up on the sideline vs. the Jets with a club on his arm because we were shorthanded at CB and might have needed him in an emergency.

He was then placed on IR.

Anyone know what's up with him?  It's now been 9 weeks since the injury, which 1 week past the usual timeline where ordinary humans with a broken bone take off a cast and start rehab.

Would he be eligible to come off IR during the playoffs if we need him or is his season done?

• Like (+1) 1

smallness complex

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Homegrown UB CB Cam Lewis played a bit of ST his first 3 weeks hopping up and down from the practice squad and played a bit of ST.  Then in early October, he was promoted to replace the injured Levi Wallace and played 65 defensive snaps against Tenn, making some strong plays including 8 tackles and a stop on Derrick Henry at the LOS (which is more than we can say for Josh "Flying Lessons" Norman).  He injured his wrist the following week against the Chiefs, but gamely practiced and showed up on the sideline vs. the Jets with a club on his arm because we were shorthanded at CB and might have needed him in an emergency.

Anyone know what's up with him?  It's now been 9 weeks since the injury, which 1 week past the usual timeline where ordinary humans with a broken bone take off a cast and start rehab.

Would he be eligible to come off IR during the playoffs if we need him or is his season done?

wrong thread?

where's House when i need him.

I read Cam Newton. OOPS

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I liked what I saw from the kid too, really good instincts and the game did not look too big for him.

They did have him nursing that broken wrist, but the timeline for coming back from that injury seems to have passed. They seem to use him to fill that depth role when Josh Norman is not available and right now, Norman is available. Frazier may simply be looking to go with more experienced depth in the more critical late-season games.

It would have been nice to see him suit up for this game if they go out and rest a lot of our starters at some point. Would like to see more of what we have in him.

• Like (+1) 1

I like Dane Jackson as well for depth this season with Levi W still starting as the other CB, but really would like to draft a CB in the late first round (a la Tre) or second round with Levi still around for another season for depth at an affordable salary...then Cam and Dane can still fight for a roster or PS spot.

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

who?

"gamely showed up on the sidelines" lol!

You post small sometimes.  And when I say small, I mean minuscule.  Kid willing to play with a broken wrist & a cast on his wrist if we needed him.  Injury that put him on IR right after the game

You laugh, I say man’s got game.  You do you.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You post small sometimes.  And when I say small, I mean minuscule.  Kid willing to play with a cast on his wrist if we needed him.  Injury that put him on IR right after the game

You laugh, I say man’s got game.  You do you.

He's paid to show up.   

Marginal roster guy like him has to show up if he wants a future in this game.  

it's not minuscule to point out the obvious..

26 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I liked what I saw from the kid too, really good instincts and the game did not look too big for him.

They did have him nursing that broken wrist, but the timeline for coming back from that injury seems to have passed. They seem to use him to fill that depth role when Josh Norman is not available and right now, Norman is available. Frazier may simply be looking to go with more experienced depth in the more critical late-season games.

It would have been nice to see him suit up for this game if they go out and rest a lot of our starters at some point. Would like to see more of what we have in him.

That was my take.  Would have liked to see more if healthy & starters pulled.

3 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

But it is reductive and dismissive.

It's clearly neither.  A guy like this (marginal player, available to play) has to show up, given his status.  No extra credit for doing so.  You know this...

Edited by Mr. WEO

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think when you use words like “clearly” and “obvious”, they might not have the universal meaning you ascribe to them.  Just saying.

I must be missing something.  He was injured, but cleared to practice and suit up for the next game, for which he was present.  He really had no option.  Isn't that the basic minimum expectation of an NFL player, let alone a guy who is a marginal roster spot?  I felt clear and obvious applied in this specific situation.  

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

You're zooming in on one little data point in a more qualitative discussion. 

I was responding to a specific comment.

This player has few other data points.