Favorite QB Cadences?

Big Turk

With the Rona keeping crowds down, it is very easy to hear the QB cadences now on games...some of these I knew before from watching so many games like Rodgers...

I always have loved Rodgers "Green 18...Green 18 hut!"

Mahomes drawn out "Bluuuueeeee 80...Bluuuueeee 80..." in his Kermit the frog meets Oscar the Grouch voice is always good...

I also love Allen's although I can't understand what it is he says when he calls for the ball....it sounds like he is saying "Mike 20...hut!" But I doubt that is it...the gravelly growl he has in his voice is like a pit bull...

Anyone know what Allen is saying in his call for the ball cadence??

Mariota sounded like he was drunk in his..."White 80" I believe was what I was hearing...it kind of made me snicker every time he called for a snap...

Edited by matter2003

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Guess he is trying to be like Manning haha

it was cute. He was screaming and yelling and Omahaing and “so and so is the Mic”-ing, and directing and doing all sorts of things. Then he dropped back and threw a 6-yard wounded duck. All the pre-snap tactics in the world aren’t going to make Colt McCoy good. 

We all know Buffalo's offense, and generally most good offenses, have audibles built right into the play call.  I hear Allen changing to these alternates very often.

Alert = run the alternate play.

Reset = back to base play.

This works well if you have smart players that can recall two or three assignments and execute them, while remembering the snap count, and when you have a quarterback that can get you into the right play.

Not so secret decoder on other things you hear:

Blue (sky) (80) = Pass, perhaps the pass audible of the play call.

Green (grass) (18) = Run, traditionally RB1 through the 8 hole, outside TE, wide right.

Rex Ryan or Red Robin = Run Right (wild guess).

I have always figured "Omaha" was Manning's "Alert" audible.  But I just read that it is a stock play call (which was one of a couple well known plays, that changed depending on the situation, like what quarter or wind direction).  I'm not sure I'm buying that as I'm not sure how formations, personnel, and motions would be accounted for.  But it does roll off the tongue easier than switching at the LOS to some real play like "Green Right X Shift to Viper Right 382 X Stick Option Lookie".

Edited by Rock'em Sock'em

7 minutes ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

We all know Buffalo's offense, and generally most good offenses, have audibles built right into the play call.  I hear Allen changing to these alternates very often.

This works well if you have smart players that can recall two or three assignments and execute them, while remembering the snap count, and when you have a quarterback that can get you into the right play.

Green (grass) (18) = Run, traditionally RB1 through the 8 hole, outside TE, wide right.

I have always figured "Omaha" was Manning's "Alert" audible.  But I just read that it is a stock play call (which was one of a couple well known plays, that changed depending on the situation, like what quarter or wind direction).  I'm not sure I'm buying that as I'm not sure how formations, personnel, and motions would be accounted for.  But it does roll off the tongue easier than switching at the LOS to some real play like "Green Right X Shift to Viper Right 382 X Stick Option Lookie".

I hear Allen yelling "Alert! Alert!" A lot and pointing out the Mike...haven't heard Reset tho...have heard his audibles to the tunnel screen "Gold Solo Rip/Whip" or some version of Gold whatever...

Do you know what Allen says as he calls for the ball? It's the same thing everytime I just can't understand it because he says it so fast.

Also those Blue 80 and Green 18 calls Mahomes and Rodgers make seem to the be the same whether they are runs or passes...is that just their way of calling for the ball as the stock play?

Edited by matter2003

Just now, matter2003 said:

Do you know what Allen says as he calls for the ball? It's the same thing everytime I just can't understand it because he says it so fast.

F*** Mitch, You got to snap the ball!  ?

1 minute ago, Taro Nimbus said:

Allen says "White 20".   Every now and then when KC games are on, it sounds like Mahomes is saying "Blood 80."    Fun fact....I strongly dislike Cams cadence  "Reaaaaaaady"   So boring.  lol

OK that makes sense...so we use the same color as the Raiders do apparently...it would be interesting to make a "color" chart for the teams around the NFL as to the call they use to snap the ball and then what the meaning is for using that color versus another one...

And why the number 20? Versus 18 or 80?

Just now, matter2003 said:

OK that makes sense...so we use the same color as the Raiders do apparently...it would be interesting to make a "color" chart for the teams around the NFL as to the call they use to snap the ball and then what the meaning is for using that color versus another one...

And why the number 20? Versus 18 or 80?

I think its just a random thing.  The numbers that is.

53 minutes ago, Taro Nimbus said:

Allen says "White 20".   Every now and then when KC games are on, it sounds like Mahomes is saying "Blood 80."    Fun fact....I strongly dislike Cams cadence  "Reaaaaaaady"   So boring.  lol

Apparently Miami uses the same "Ready" cadence...maybe its a Belichick thing?

1 hour ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

Omaha means snap on next sound. That's why you'll typically hear it with like 3-5 seconds left on the play clock. That's why it's always "Omaha... Hut"

In terms of color number, they typically don't have meaning. That's why Rodgers will ALWAYS say Green18. When they decide to switch it, it will typically mean an audible. Josh always says White 20, Cam always says White 80, etc etc 

6 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Apparently Miami uses the same "Ready" cadence...maybe its a Belichick thing?

Nah, Cam did that in Carolina too.