Super Bowl ticket prices. What would you pay?

BITE ME

Option A:  I would spend four grand per ticket for my wife and I and drive the hour twenty minutes to the stadium for a socially distant tailgate. Pour the money I'd save on hotel, airfare and all the incidentals into the ticket price, food and an overpriced beer.

Option B: I would spend $500 to fly back to Buffalo to watch the game and to hang out with family and friends for the celebrations. Come home broken and hung over.

On 12/15/2020 at 4:53 PM, Shaw66 said:

I've been to one, XXV.  I know it's different now, but I think the "full experience" is overrated. Unless you're a big corporate guest, you're not going to any glamour events with celebrities.  You're just walking the streets, eating at restaurants, etc.   And because so few tickets are allocated to the teams, the city isn't overrun with fans of the two teams.   Maybe half of the people in town for the game have very little rooting interest.   So the streets aren't overflowing with partisan fans.  A Bills crowd might be a little different in that regard.  Imagine Texas and Michigan State at the Orange Bowl - what's Miami like?   Some people walking around in orange or green, especially in the nightspot neighborhoods, but it isn't like Bourbon Street.  

So when I think about going to another one, I think about it as just an extended weekend in a city, where I'm eating out in restaurants, seeing a few sites, and going to a football game.  And the game, too, is a little disappointing because so many people have no rooting interest.  They're there to watch, sure, but also to be able to say they were there and to say how cool the half-time show was.   

If the Bills get there this season, I don't think I'm going.  But starting next season, I am, and I'll pay an arm and a leg, just because I want to be there.  I won't go for the "full experience."  I'll go for the game.  

Interesting. I was able to go to XXV also, but I thought it was a fantastic event.  Maybe my circumstances were a bit different. I won the lottery so me and my buddy were able to get out tickets for $150 each. And my buddy had a buddy who lived less than a mile from the stadium so we were able to stay at his house for free.  And his buddy also had connections at one of those huge downtown clubs so we were able to get in (KC And The Sunshine Bad was playing LOL) without standing in line like so many others.

But I thought the downtown party the night before was a riot, and there were many fans of both teams. The one thing that sticks out is most fans were wearing their blue jerseys so every time you would see a Giants #56 we would yell, "Hey yeah, Darryl Talley woohoo!" and of course they would puff their chest and say "This is an LT jersey man!" 

I really have a whole different take it seems than you. Interesting. But then we never did agree on much. Of course back then I was 27, buffaloes shaved in the side of my head and ready for anything that looked fun.  Now I'm 57 and have no desire at all to go to another Super Bowl. But I feel for the young fans here in my home town. They've been getting excited over the last couple years, and I've been telling them just how great it will be if we ever get good again. And I tell them I hope they get to experience going to see our team in the big game at least once. And now here we are, all those good games this year nobody could attend. On the verge of our first home playoff game(s) in forever and nobody can attend. And uncertainty surrounding the attendance and atmosphere of the big game. It's a bummer for sure for these young guys who, like me, waited patiently for our team to get good again. Hopefully we can stay good for a bunch of years.

EDIT: Although as I think back on it now, it really was just that one night before the game that I thought was full of jubilant fans. The rest of the time I suppose it really was just visiting a different city and doing whatever there is to do there. Still we thought it was cool going into Hooters and ordering wings, only to have the waitress tell us Ray Bentley was in the night before and he ate all his wings, bones and all. Just crunched them up and ate 'em up.

Edited by Tuco

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2020 at 11:22 AM, BITE ME said:

Nobody is paying big money to sit in a hotel.  Not happening. Depending on the matchup,  I can see tickets available for $500.  This belief that people are dying to go is nonsense.  I bet half the players families wouldn't even get on a plane.

I sort of agree.  I am not sure I wan't to even go if I could get a ticket for $500.

The cheapest Super Bowl ticket was $4,025 dollars.  You were only off by about $3,500....so close.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/super-bowl-tickets-2021-cheapest-expensive/1azep48zql31318stpvysi30cg

8 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The cheapest Super Bowl ticket was $4,025 dollars.  You were only off by about $3,500....so close.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/super-bowl-tickets-2021-cheapest-expensive/1azep48zql31318stpvysi30cg

I'm pretty sure the prices quoted in the article don't include service fees.  On Location fee was 18% this year.