Canceling student loans

shoshin

21 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

Lol, it’s annoying how dumb Republicans are.

1. There is no proof anyone in the Biden administration thought the plan was unconstitutional.

2. One Trump appointed lower court judge held it unconstitutional because it vioLated the public notice and comment requirements of the Administrative Procedures Act. Several lower courts have upheld it and the Supreme Court in 2 cases have said they won’t hear those Republican challenges.

Interesting, this case is brought by Republicans saying they have standing because they’re not getting enough student loans cancelled.

If the program fails due to an APA violation, the admin can just open it up to notice and comment and it’s Constitutional again.

In summary, it’s incredibly stupid to think the Biden admin did this knowing it’s unconstitutional.

edit - this case will probably actually help student loan borrowers as Biden will probably extend the payment freeze while it goes through the courts and then again if it has to go through notice and comment.

Yet, smart enough to figure out the math on that whole loan thing. 

35 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

Lol, it’s annoying how dumb Republicans are.

1. There is no proof anyone in the Biden administration thought the plan was unconstitutional.

2. One Trump appointed lower court judge held it unconstitutional because it vioLated the public notice and comment requirements of the Administrative Procedures Act. Several lower courts have upheld it and the Supreme Court in 2 cases have said they won’t hear those Republican challenges.

Interesting, this case is brought by Republicans saying they have standing because they’re not getting enough student loans cancelled.

If the program fails due to an APA violation, the admin can just open it up to notice and comment and it’s Constitutional again.

In summary, it’s incredibly stupid to think the Biden admin did this knowing it’s unconstitutional.

edit - this case will probably actually help student loan borrowers as Biden will probably extend the payment freeze while it goes through the courts and then again if it has to go through notice and comment.

its annoying how dumb all party sycophants are- 

Here is a press conference archive where one of your gods Nanci Pelosi says the president doesn’t have the authority to forgive student loans acknowledging the back and forth with the White House on the topic…  in July 2021. 

https://archive.ph/xCDHb

200.gif

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

The government. Why would they be in it to make a profit? If the government wants to hawk college as affordable for everyone, it makes sense. If you have an $80,000 student loan balance at 7% your monthly payment in the beginning is nearly 75% interest. And they wonder why we got into the situation we are currently in. If you lose your job and go into forbearance for a year your balance is $7000 more than when you left.  

In this scenario, there is data missing to figure out if it’s why “we got into the situation we are in”. 

What was the original loan balance?

What choices were made while incurring the debt?
What school did the borrower attend, did they live at home or on campus?

What degree did they pursue, and how long did it take to complete coursework if indeed they did?

Are they working in their chosen field, and what are the job prospects in the area they live in? 
Was it reasonable to assume they would make sufficient money in their career in order to repay the debt? 
Were there more reasonable options to complete degree work at other schools? 
How much money are they making? 
How much money might family members be able to contribute to repayment? 

In addition, the government recently extended economic recovery loan offers through the SBA for small businesses at 3.5% with a 30 year repayment term.  Is this a similar situation where one might wonder about the government profit motive? 

9 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

its annoying how dumb all party sycophants are- 

Here is a press conference archive where one of your gods Nanci Pelosi says the president doesn’t have the authority to forgive student loans acknowledging the back and forth with the White House on the topic…  in July 2021. 

https://archive.ph/xCDHb

200.gif

1. Pelosi isn’t a god

2. Pelosi isn’t the end all legal scholar

3. She’s probably right the President doesn’t have the authority to unilaterally cancel all debt. However, the Biden admin used the HEROES Act which was a Congressionally passed act to forgive the debt. So the President isn’t unilaterally eliminating the debt, but is working in the confines of the law Congress passed. The only challenge to it that has been mildly successful is whether it needs to go through notice and comment via the APA.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

1. Pelosi isn’t a god

2. Pelosi isn’t the end all legal scholar

3. She’s probably right the President doesn’t have the authority to unilaterally cancel all debt. However, the Biden admin used the HEROES Act which was a Congressionally passed act to forgive the debt. So the President isn’t unilaterally eliminating the debt, but is working in the confines of the law Congress passed. The only challenge to it that has been mildly successful is whether it needs to go through notice and comment via the APA.

So you’ve now convince yourself a mainstay of the Democratic Party 40 year Congress person, speaker of the house  and her lawyers and staff don’t understand the constitution? That’s now what you believe.

I’m sure you didn’t read the press conference about the back and forth with the White House very much indicating the dubious constitutionality of forgiveness.

Only a fool doesn’t clearly recognize the timing and intent of the announcement unless you think trump put Nancy and the press  up to this… 😂 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

Credit to Dems, politically.  

They learned from Warnock campaigning on $2k checks in the last GA runoff.   Knew they’d never send them out, but the promise helped get him elected. 

They knew student loan forgiveness would never pass legal challenge.  They didn’t care.  It gave them something to help churn out the youth vote/single women vote aside from just abortion.  It worked.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

So you’ve now convince yourself a mainstay of the Democratic Party 40 year Congress person, speaker of the house  and her lawyers and staff don’t understand the constitution? That’s now what you believe.

I’m sure you didn’t read the press conference about the back and forth with the White House very much indicating the dubious constitutionality of forgiveness.

Only a fool doesn’t clearly recognize the timing and intent of the announcement unless you think trump put Nancy and the press  up to this… 😂 

I think the issue really is you don’t understand the sublty of the law. There’s a legal distinction between A) the President can just forgive student loans and B) the Department of Education can use the HEROES Act to forgive student loans.

Pelosis press conference addressed A, not B. The Biden admin used B, not A to forgive student loans.

The timing of the announcement to coincide with midterms is what it is. It was Biden fulfilling a campaign promise and of course they can drive the vote. Biden also didn’t have any incentive to forgive earlier either as the payment freeze was in place.

The bigger issue I point out and where the original post is misinformation is that the Biden admin did the student loan forgiveness knowing it’s unconstitutional. That’s just folly and lies.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

The bigger issue I point out and where the original post is misinformation is that the Biden admin did the student loan forgiveness knowing it’s unconstitutional. That’s just folly and lies.

no the issue is your assertion is somewhere between intellectually dishonest to a flat out lie. 

They absolutely knew, and there is plenty of evidence to the fact, that the legality of forgiving student loan debt was dubious. 

if you believe the timing of the announcement was coincidental and they knew they had a clear legal position the forgiveness would not be challenged, even blocked, that’s on you. 

so put your fingers in your ears and scream all you want- you can’t convince any one with a brain this is all some surprise. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Those "smart" young people who voted.  :lol:

We have a dumb electorate, and Dems understand that far better than Republicans. 

I’m in Atlanta most weekends… Warnock literally had signs alllll over ATL that said “Want $2K in your pocket? Vote Warnock”.   When he won, exit polls showed that a lot of inner city people voted on the 2k stimulus check ….

…..that never came. 

Same thing with student loans this time around.   Who does that energize?  Young voters and single women.  Combine that with abortion and ta-da, record turnout. 

It was always just Warnocks $2k all over again.  

• Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

no the issue is your assertion is somewhere between intellectually dishonest to a flat out lie. 

They absolutely knew, and there is plenty of evidence to the fact, that the legality of forgiving student loan debt was dubious. 

if you believe the timing of the announcement was coincidental and they knew they had a clear legal position the forgiveness would not be challenged, even blocked, that’s on you. 

so put your fingers in your ears and scream all you want- you can’t convince any one with a brain this is all some surprise. 

Its very rare there government doesn’t act and it’s not challenged. Look at every Trump action that went before the courts.

The Biden admin knew it would be challenged and they’ve successfully defended it against 5 or 6 other lawsuits. They have appealed this one as well.

Again, if they lose this, this simple fix is to open it up for notice and comment under the APA, then enacted it after the comment period. Freeze Federal student loan payments until such time as the comment period is over.

They didn’t lose the case in the lower courts because he can’t do it. The judge just said it violated APA.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Backintheday544 said:

15 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

The Biden admin knew it would be challenged

And there it is…. Circle complete 

And also with the ” but trump did” as justification?😂

poor form

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

And there it is…. Circle complete 

And also with the ” but trump did” as justification?😂

poor form

Someone challenging something doesn’t mean it’s unconstitutional. Dems sued to stop Trumps wall, Trump knew his wall would get challenged, does that make it unconstitutional?

Dems sued the Trump admin to stop some immigrant policies does that mean they were unconstitutional just because they were challenged?

I’m sorry your education has done you a disservice. I’d recommend grabbing some student loans under $10,000 to get the quicker forgiveness period and educate yourself.

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Backintheday544 said:

Someone challenging something doesn’t mean it’s unconstitutional. Dems sued to stop Trumps wall, Trump knew his wall would get challenged, does that make it unconstitutional?

Dems sued the Trump admin to stop some immigrant policies does that mean they were unconstitutional just because they were challenged?

I’m sorry your education has done you a disservice. I’d recommend grabbing some student loans under $10,000 to get the quicker forgiveness period and educate yourself.

just embarrassing yourself walking back your misinformation premise all while referencing the bumbling orange man as your standard 😂  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/11/2022 at 7:24 AM, KDIGGZ said:

I had friends that took out way more than they needed and used the money to go on Spring break, buy motorcycles, live it up. They would have been bailed out too? They knew what they were doing and they also knew they had 20 years to pay it back with very little interest so it was a great deal.

I can't tell you how many times on Judge Judy I've seen cases where people were using student loan money like this or to buy her boyfriend a car.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

just embarrassing yourself walking back your misinformation premise all while referencing the bumbling orange man as your standard 😂  

Critical thinking isn’t your forte. It’s ok. Not everyone is meant to be smart or understand basic concepts of the law or even simple analogies.

Ill try to break this down for you to match your intellect.

Misinformation that was provided: Biden knew the student loan program was unconditional 

Why is it misinformation: 

- no evidence has been provide the the admin thought it was unconstitutional

- several challenges to the law have ended up in the Biden admin winning

- the current challenge isn’t that the program is unconstitutional, it’s that it didn’t go through notice and comment under the APA and is being appealed

Your silly attempt at saying the Biden admin knows it’s unconstitutional: Because it’s been challenged on courts

Why that’s an argument even a person with an 8 year olds intellect wouldn’t make: administrations get challenged on programs all the time. The fact of knowing something would get challenged doesn’t mean they know it’s unconstitutional. 

Based on your flawed logic and arguments, I’m unable to tell if you have a basic high school education, but if you do maybe look at a place like SNHU to help you further your education and develop some critical thinking.

Heres a link to the application:

https://www.snhu.edu/admission/campus-admission

If you keep your student loans to under $10,000, the new student forgiveness plan announced by Biden will have complete forgiveness in just 5 years.

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

I can't tell you how many times on Judge Judy I've seen cases where people were using student loan money like this or to buy her boyfriend a car.

I kind of wish I had done that to some extent. I didn't have money to go out to restaurants/bars with friends and I probably could have had a lot more fun if I had just taken out an extra few grand each semester. But I was also young and very naive and probably could have ended up in a very bad financial situation if I went too far with it so maybe it was for the best!

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Backintheday544 said:

Critical thinking isn’t your forte. It’s ok. Not everyone is meant to be smart or understand basic concepts of the law or even simple analogies.

Ill try to break this down for you to match your intellect.

Misinformation that was provided: Biden knew the student loan program was unconditional 

Why is it misinformation: 

- no evidence has been provide the the admin thought it was unconstitutional

- several challenges to the law have ended up in the Biden admin winning

- the current challenge isn’t that the program is unconstitutional, it’s that it didn’t go through notice and comment under the APA and is being appealed

Your silly attempt at saying the Biden admin knows it’s unconstitutional: Because it’s been challenged on courts

Why that’s an argument even a person with an 8 year olds intellect wouldn’t make: administrations get challenged on programs all the time. The fact of knowing something would get challenged doesn’t mean they know it’s unconstitutional. 

Based on your flawed logic and arguments, I’m unable to tell if you have a basic high school education, but if you do maybe look at a place like SNHU to help you further your education and develop some critical thinking.

Heres a link to the application:

https://www.snhu.edu/admission/campus-admission

If you keep your student loans to under $10,000, the new student forgiveness plan announced by Biden will have complete forgiveness in just 5 years.

blah blah blah- your own words defeated your own assertion.  Please don’t hurt yourself trying to match anybody’s intellect - you are struggling against your own 😂 

25 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

blah blah blah- your own words defeated your own assertion.  Please don’t hurt yourself trying to match anybody’s intellect - you are struggling against your own 😂 

If you’d like to provide demonstrative proof the Biden admin knew the program was unconstitutional when proposing it, please provide it.

Separately, if you’d like to provide proof the program is unconstitutional if they put it through the APA notice and comment period as provided in the latest court case please provide that.

Otherwise let the grown ups talk.