Quinton Spain released; signs with Bengals PS

YoloinOhio

26 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I hate Ford & Winters while I appreciated the way Spain played last year. Was looking forward for Mongo & Quinton to return and send the other 2 to the bench where they belong. Obviously someone pissed off someone? 

Ford hasn't been tragic but I fear that him being jerked around the line looking for a natural fit has hurt his development. In his rookie year Ford was given the RT position but pulled in and out with Ty. Then he gets kicked into RG and then flipped over to LG his second year. The team hasn't done him any favors. 

9 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Ford hasn't been tragic but I fear that him being jerked around the line looking for a natural fit has hurt his development. In his rookie year Ford was given the RT position but pulled in and out with Ty. Then he gets kicked into RG and then flipped over to LG his second year. The team hasn't done him any favors. 

Well the reason he was rotated in at RT last year was that he was good enough yet. And they obviously had a back up plan on RT Williams if this year he didn't take a step or move him inside.  They moved him to RG and he wasn't bad and certainly better than Winters the Feleciano injury of course kinda of helped that out.  I think obviously they dont want to give up on Ford and rightfully so he shows some flashes but right now he is struggling not Winters level struggling but I do not think he is playing solid enough to replace what spain was giving you early.  Coincidence that the Bills passing game started moving down hill when Spain was benched and Ford went in not for me as the pressure up the middle is pretty strong for the opposing team why to me the move to release him makes less sense

3 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

Well the reason he was rotated in at RT last year was that he was good enough yet. And they obviously had a back up plan on RT Williams if this year he didn't take a step or move him inside.  They moved him to RG and he wasn't bad and certainly better than Winters the Feleciano injury of course kinda of helped that out.  I think obviously they dont want to give up on Ford and rightfully so he shows some flashes but right now he is struggling not Winters level struggling but I do not think he is playing solid enough to replace what spain was giving you early.  Coincidence that the Bills passing game started moving down hill when Spain was benched and Ford went in not for me as the pressure up the middle is pretty strong for the opposing team why to me the move to release him makes less sense

I actually think Ford did play better to end last season when Ty got hurt and he was just out there. I think he can settle in as an above average LG which isn't great but its not a bad piece to have.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

.....Or maybe he struggles at multiple positions which might simply mean he's not very good. I've isolated alot on him in games this season and he's struggling. Spain was better and I think our rushing numbers reflected that last year.

1 minute ago, ILBillsfan said:

This is incorrect. 

Spain was benched after the Miami game, due to several pass protection plays in which he damned near got Josh killed.

Strange, since pass protection was his strength last year. 

He came in half a game vs Las Vegas when someone - I think Winters - went out injured. 

But the passing game was just fine vs. LA and vs LV.  Yeah, we got fewer yards vs. them than vs Miami but their secondaries are better too.

I agree that it's a pretty strange move to release Spain with Ford injured, though.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills general manager Brandon Beane explained after conversations with Spain and his representatives, it was best to let him move on.

"Quinton's a good person, it was nothing like that," Beane said. "Last year, he started 17 games for us counting the playoff game. We re-signed him after the offseason, but every team's a new team, every year's a new year and here we're all about competition. Nothing's guaranteed by where you're drafted or how much you make, not that Quinton expected it to be handed to him.

"I think the other thing that complicated this was we had no preseason, and with the competition we had it became hard for the coaches to evaluate who's our top five. So we're trying to figure out the best way to do that, that's why the first couple games we subbed some different guys in and tried to make an early evaluation and then stick with it. I think there was a, 'Maybe something happened?' It was nothing that happened. The more we talked about it, we just thought it was best after talking to him and his representatives to let him move on. We wish him the best."

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-release-quinton-spain

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I actually think Ford did play better to end last season when Ty got hurt and he was just out there. I think he can settle in as an above average LG which isn't great but its not a bad piece to have.

true that i don't want Ford gone he is till developing and on a rookie contract his play just needs to get better if there is more of an investment after the rookie deal but you could keep the option for a good back up

Shades of Langston Walker.  Why not keep him for depth?  In the Ralph days they’d cut high-paid players who fell out of the starting lineup in order to save cash, sacrificing depth in the process.  And then they’d proceed to suffer a rash of injuries at the position, always, like clockwork.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Shades of Langston Walker.  Why not keep him for depth?  In the Ralph days they’d cut high-paid players who fell out of the starting lineup in order to save cash, sacrificing depth in the process.  And then they’d proceed to suffer a rash of injuries at the position, always, like clockwork.

This isn't a $$ move.  We don't save significant money.  Either they want the roster spot, or no matter what Beane says there was some kind of problem.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This isn't a $$ move.  We don't save significant money.  Either they want the roster spot, or no matter what Beane says there was some kind of problem.

Oh I realize it’s not a salary thing - but the draconian approach is the same.  Why cut a depth player in an injury-riddled season?  We know how this will end...

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He must have been a malcontent or locker room issue. I think that they would have kept him for depth if he wasn't being an issue behind the scenes. 

Just now, billsfan89 said:

He must have been a malcontent or locker room issue. I think that they would have kept him for depth if he wasn't being an issue behind the scenes. 

Still it’s stupid.  Someone said upthread “McBeane has zero tolerance for attitude issues.”  You know what I’d prefer?  Zero tolerance for losing.  Manage the attitudes and hurt feelings, it’s your job.  Cutting players who complain is insecure and shortsighted.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is incorrect. 

Spain was benched after the Miami game, due to several pass protection plays in which he damned near got Josh killed.

Strange, since pass protection was his strength last year. 

He came in half a game vs Las Vegas when someone - I think Winters - went out injured. 

But the passing game was just fine vs. LA and vs LV.  Yeah, we got fewer yards vs. them than vs Miami but their secondaries are better too.

I agree that it's a pretty strange move to release Spain with Ford injured, though.

correct I just went and looked there was good pressure on some plays vs the Rams one could attribute to when Donald was over there and on winters as well believe that video form cover one starts in the Rams game with the bad guard play so yeah i got when Ford replaced Spain.... Still odd to rep Spain that quick and not Winters when I have been even more disappointed in his play

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beane isn’t going to say anything negative about the player. What he said, was that he didn’t earn playing time. What happened after that isn’t going to be leaked from OBD. But likely played a large role in the outright release.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Oh I realize it’s not a salary thing - but the draconian approach is the same.  Why cut a depth player in an injury-riddled season?  We know how this will end...

My perhaps-cynical reading between Beane's lines take on stuff would be that Spain was not happy being a depth player and was not "fitting in" with doing the things depth players are supposed to do.  Not "breaking the camel's back" with any one action, but maybe late to meetings,  not being prepared with the playbook, not going hard in practice.  I thought it was highly fishy that he was a last-minute injury scratch in Tennessee after not being on injury report.

In that case, the coaches are saying "yes, you're capable of being a better player, but 100% of Boettger or Bates is better than your slack-butt ass-dragging unhappy self"

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My perhaps-cynical reading between Beane's lines take on stuff would be that Spain was not happy being a depth player and was not "fitting in" with doing the things depth players are supposed to do.  Not "breaking the camel's back" with any one action, but maybe late to meetings,  not being prepared with the playbook, not going hard in practice.  I thought it was highly fishy that he was a last-minute injury scratch in Tennessee after not being on injury report.

In that case, the coaches are saying "yes, you're capable of being a better player, but 100% of Boettger or Bates is better than your slack-butt ass-dragging unhappy self"

For sure that was going on.  Their statement before the Titans game was odd - that Spain was inactive due to a foot injury they had “just learned of” or something to that effect.  That was the first salvo in all of this.

This season is starting to feel like Titanic's maiden voyage. First four games we were sat in the luxury dining room in our best dinner jackets, smoking expensive cigars and laughing at the poor folks covered in sh*t down in steerage (i.e. the Jets).

Now we're all up on deck in our underwear, complaining about the cold and wondering why we're being told to put our life vests on.

I guess if we lose to Flacco on Sunday we'll be disguising ourselves as women in an effort to escape the sinking ship.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

This season is starting to feel like Titanic's maiden voyage. First four games we were sat in the luxury dining room in our best dinner jackets, smoking expensive cigars and laughing at the poor folks covered in sh*t down in steerage (i.e. the Jets).

Now we're all up on deck in our underwear, complaining about the cold and wondering why we're being told to put our life vests on.

I guess if we lose to Flacco on Sunday we'll be disguising ourselves as women in an effort to escape the sinking ship.

Who are the band members going down with the ship?