Raiders Defense - Credit to Daboll

Virgil

14 hours ago, Virgil said:

I think you are partially right.   Mahomes usually does a lot of his damage when rolling out to his right.  However, that’s when he does it by choice.  If you are going to force him out, have someone waiting for him so he can’t reset his feet. 

Reset his feet? I’m surprised anyone who has ever seen him play would make this comment 

17 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Reset his feet? I’m surprised anyone who has ever seen him play would make this comment 

He'll make great plays when he doesn't set his feet.  But i watched that entire game.  He spiked quite a few and missed some easy swing passes for the same reasons.  The INT was on 4th down so you may as well force something than take a sack.  

The Raiders seemed to spy him too.  Keeps his eyes down field but it seemed to make him uncomfortable.  He made some great throws while scrambling, but he completed like 50% of passes.  He missed some easy ones too.

He also tries to initiate contact as he goes out of bounds to get calls.  So if you're going to get the call anyway, may as well let him have it.  

17 hours ago, Virgil said:

In watching the Raiders-Chiefs game, I noticed a lot of 7 deep coverage and 3 safeties.  I didn’t watch the All-22 of the Bills-Raiders game, but I remember the commentators saying the Raiders did a similar thing against the Bills. 

What’s interesting is how quickly and easily the Bills adjusted and didn’t slow down in their movement down field.  

This may not be thread worthy, but Mahomes and the offense had less than 50 yards in total offense in the second half until they scored a touchdown.  Mahomes looked lost out there and they couldn’t adjust.  

Credit to be Josh and Daboll for adjusting seemingly easily and moving through it.  They also handled the 3-4 season of the Rams with 30+ points. I look forward to see what we do against the Pats defense and other schemes. 

Teams have been rolling out different flavors of that quarters defense against Allen for a while now because he likes to attack past the sticks.

I think NE did some of that in Allen's first game against them last year with some man mixed in and it rattled him into his worst performance last year.

Now, Allen and Daboll have seen it enough times that it does not throw off his game as much.

Everyone says that the Raiders have a talented, but young secondary. Looks like they are starting to grow up.

On 10/11/2020 at 7:52 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had that thought that the Raiders D looked relatively “dazed and confused” against us.

I’m told it’s because the Raiders got Ruggs back and we’re lucky we faced them without him

It's amazing people don't realize who the top offense in the AFC is.

The foundation of his system is adaptation. He wants to be able to run whatever type of offense they need based on their opponent. That's doesn't seem real easy to do and a lot to ask of your players. They gotta know all sorts of concepts and formations and the audibles and adjustments, etc. Players have said it's the most complex offense they've seen. Having the consistency they've had in terms of personnel on the offense over the last three seasons and the advancement of Allen seems like it's finally unlocked all of Daboll's playbook. And seeing them execute it pretty cleanly has been awesome to see as a fan, man. Most years of the drought were filled with rather abysmal offenses without a solid QB so it was always a run-focused offense to hide the QB flaws. Fitz and the Island of Misfit Toys had some fun games as an offense. But again guys like Manuel and Taylor were in offenses that relied mainly on the run. So we haven't seen some of these laser shots Allen has thrown. Not in a while anyway. And not nearly as often. The last QB consistently making throws like he has was Bledsoe throughout 2002 and a little bit of 2003 before he began staring down Moulds and apparently Moulds is a descendant of Medusa because the more he stared him down the more of the sack statue he became. 

As fun as it has been so far, I always feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Nearly two decades of futility will really train your brain to expect failure. You expect it so much you don't know how to react when they're super successful and should be the expected team to win in most games. It's definitely an interesting season and I really think this team can hang with anyone in the league. 

On 10/11/2020 at 8:52 PM, Coach Tuesday said:

I would credit the Patriots for doing what they always do - solve a problem for the rest of the league.  3 man rush dropping 8 into coverage makes Mahomes be too patient for his liking and he gets greedy.

It only works(some of the time) because Mahomes hasn't been willing to just take the short stuff and move the chains.   To this point in his career he has never had to.   The Bills will do something similar and it will be interesting to see if they take the easy opportunities against the Bills.   That's generally what McD wants opposing teams to do. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ

WOW this is a really weird season ! Last year there were those calling for Dabol's head saying he wasn't a worthy OC it's amazing what winning does .

But I must agree with the OP Dabol to this point has been pretty masterful in what he is doing given the weapons he has i just hope he stays to win a SB with the Bills !! 

On 10/11/2020 at 6:52 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had that thought that the Raiders D looked relatively “dazed and confused” against us.

I’m told it’s because the Raiders got Ruggs back and we’re lucky we faced them without him

That’s very possible, I think Ruggs is going to be one of the best WR’s ever.