Ok, how about something positive......

57 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Americans during the late 1930's did not favor war in Europe nor the Pacific.  Germany's actions by 1941 opened the door for the US to do Lend/Lease as a measure to counter Hitler.  But that was not enough to get the US into direct war until war against the US was declared by Japan and its allies following Pearl Harbor.  I don't know what else Roosevelt could have done other than the oil and raw material embargoes.

The strong anti-war/isolationist sentiment in the country during the 1930s and into the 1940s was a real problem for the Roosevelt administration.  It's possible that if Germany didn't declare war on the US the day after the Pearl Harbor attack that the US wouldn't have gone to war against Germany until much later if at all.

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

The strong anti-war/isolationist sentiment in the country during the 1930s and into the 1940s was a real problem for the Roosevelt administration.  It's possible that if Germany didn't declare war on the US the day after the Pearl Harbor attack that the US wouldn't have gone to war against Germany until much later if at all.

One of the very few ways FDR could have lost the Election of 1940 was to have the US involved in a war period.  I doubt that even a conservative could have won on a pro-war platform.  Most conservatives I knew growing up a couple of generations ago believed in minimal expenditures on the state and federal levels and having a full blown war flies in the face of that.  

7 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Jefferson also tried to have he Haitian revolution crushed because it was a black republic. 

Bro, you gotta let go of racism before a certain period. It’s not fair to the men of the time. You gotta judge them based on the time they lived in. 

35 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

Bro, you gotta let go of racism before a certain period. It’s not fair to the men of the time. You gotta judge them based on the time they lived in. 

Ok, my how easily Jefferson threw off his love for all things French Revolution when it was applied to black people. That just shows you how deeply the racism of the time affected people. But not all people, like Alexander Hamilton hated slavery and even was bold enough about it to tell Washington that black inferiority was a social lie. And Jefferson was also simply afraid. He was part of an evil system but had no clue what to do about it. Still, can’t white wash the record of what happened. The guy who helped breathe life into our fledgling republic saw fit to knee cap another one. 

Oh, and which President was actually a Dragoon? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

That's generally true but no writer in American history has been a more eloquent advocate for American ideals --"Jeffersonian democracy" -- and more hypocritical ... than Thomas Jefferson.   If his written words didn't echo through American history down to the present day, his actions wouldn't be particularly noteworthy. 

1. George Washington was also a slave owner, but he freed all of the slaves he owned in his will.  It was not an uncommon thing for slave owners to do in the early 1800s.  Jefferson only ever freed Sally Hemings' 4 surviving children, at least one of whom was his own son, and that occurred only toward the end of his life in the 1820s.  His last son was freed from slavery in 1826, two years after Jefferson's death.
  2. While Jefferson waxed poetic about "yeoman farmers", he himself lived and spent like the grandest British aristocrat.  He went into debt building Monticello, collecting his library, filling his wine cellar, etc -- and he stiffed many of those "yeomen" who never collected the full amounts he owed them -- just like many petty lordlings in Europe.
  3. Although Jefferson was instrumental in getting the Bill of Rights added to the Constitution, as POTUS he used the power of the federal government, mainly the 1797 Sedition Act, to attack his political enemies, especially in the press.
  4. Jefferson was an advocate for small government and for limited government that stayed only within the powers granted by the Constitution, but he didn't hesitate to purchase the Louisiana Territory in 1803.

• Like (+1) 2

All Presidents work for people who don't post at TBD.

So if you have a favorite President, it kind of like you have a favorite movie that you paid for but didn't make any money off.

Except that President probably killed a lot of people like you and robbed a lot of people like you blind.

And then you voted to re-elect him again.

Rinse, Wash, Repeat, for a new generation.

8 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Interesting that you use the white power hand gesture in your response.  

:rolleyes:

8 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

And, FWIW, Jefferson was a prolific writer on the issue of black inferiority.  Justified racism in that way.  Brilliant man, but also a racist.  

I love how people project today's values on those who lived 250 or more years ago.  

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Ok, my how easily Jefferson threw off his love for all things French Revolution when it was applied to black people. That just shows you how deeply the racism of the time affected people. But not all people, like Alexander Hamilton hated slavery and even was bold enough about it to tell Washington that black inferiority was a social lie. And Jefferson was also simply afraid. He was part of an evil system but had no clue what to do about it. Still, can’t white wash the record of what happened. The guy who helped breathe life into our fledgling republic saw fit to knee cap another one. 

Oh, and which President was actually a Dragoon? 

I gave you an awesome for the last sentence! NOICE! 

39 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I love how people project today's values on those who lived 250 or more years ago.  

Seriously, how can you harshly judge a guy for raping women and enslaving his own children until you walk a mile in his shoes? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, TBBills said:

Sorry buddy don't give a ***** you already ***** yourself by admitting you were trolling and don't know how to read, thanks for digging your hole.

You have reading comprehension problems...  I never said I was trolling, but after reading everybody getting fed up with your made up bull#### I'm going to guess you are trolling with your adhominum attacks on everybody.

Go back to LEFTfield:lol:

15 hours ago, TBBills said:

Seeing that the OP asked for this to be civil and obviously some people don't know how to be, he deserves it. Typical to expect in PPP though and sad. Wow you guys cannot control yourselves from trolling that is pathetic.

This is why your stances are garbage b.c you can't even act like an adult.

Get bent

10 hours ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

All Presidents work for people who don't post at TBD.

So if you have a favorite President, it kind of like you have a favorite movie that you paid for but didn't make any money off.

Except that President probably killed a lot of people like you and robbed a lot of people like you blind.

And then you voted to re-elect him again.

Rinse, Wash, Repeat, for a new generation.

Guess what, human beings are social animals.  Contrary to popular fantasy by survivalists, people can't survive well as isolated individuals for very long, and any time two or more people get together, somebody has to be a leader.  Doesn't matter if it's a family or a clan or a nation.  People need to be in a group and the group needs a leader.   That is hard-wired into our DNA just as it is into the DNA of any other social/pack animals.

Electing leaders consistently yields better results for more people than any other ways of selecting leaders.   It requires citizens to get off their asses, register to vote, and then actually cast ballots, not just in presidential elections but in state and local elections as well.  While voting is a citizen's right, it's also a citizen's duty.   No system is perfect, but unless you've got a realistic alternative, then you have to deal with what you've got and try to make it better. 

13 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Which color on jumper cables connects to the plus one?

Red goes on the + of the one jumping, and the - of the one getting jumped.... Black goes - of the one getting jumped, and + of the one needing the jump

We need video of this please.... 💥

1. George Washington -- without his courage & leadership there would never have been a United States of America

2. Abraham Lincoln - without his courage & leadership the United States of America would never have survived as we know it.

3. William Henry Harrison - how much good or damage could a guy do in a term that only lasted 31 days? - thought he deserved a shout out (has he ever gotten one before?).

4. William Howard Taft - I have always pulled for the big fat guys - hence my fan-hood for offensive lineman in football.  

• Like (+1) 1