Anyone Else Having Trouble Dealing with this Success?

Shaw66

I can't remember what it was like 30 years ago when the Bills last were a good team.  I don't remember how I felt or I behaved.  

I can!

Precisely, because I was a Season Tix holder from 1988-2008. 
I attended 2 AFC Championships, 2 SBs and numerous Playoff Games! 
I watched EVERY play of every game, either in person or in bars with my fellow fans, during those Glory Years.

I met Ralph C Wilson, alone with his daughter, at the All American Sports Bar- watching the 4p.m. Games, after we had all left Rich, following a Bills’ W!
I didn’t believe the Bills would win EVERY game- I expected them to!

And so when it turned, oh so terribly, brokenly, dysfunctionally, disastrously, for so long... forever and there were sooooo many here, grasping at faint straws, the Millenium was where I decided to draw the line in the sand!

Yes, I have seen greatness and that Clown Car debacle at OBD, sure as h was not it! GMs, HCs, stumblebum, incompetent players came and went!

Until, the McD era, building slowly and finally, finally, finally with the gunslinger stud replacing Jimbo at QB!

GO BILLS!

Shore up the D and let’s get to Tampa again... to dupe my first one... XXV.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I have to say I find myself not knowing how to deal with success.  

I can't remember what it was like 30 years ago when the Bills last were a good team.  I don't remember how I felt or I behaved.  

I've spent 30 years wanting the Bills to be good again, and the early indications are that it is happening.  They could collapse, of course, but I believe McDermott knows what he's doing, and he's building a serious winner.  But as the national media begin to notice the Bills, I don't know if I want or like the attention.  

On one of the games last night, one of the announcers said something like "Don't leave Buffalo out of the conversation.  Buffalo is for real."   Something.  I heard it and realized it was the first time I'd heard a genuinely positive comment about the Bills, a full-fledged statement that the Bills are among the best, since the early 90s.   It sounded so unusual, and I realized that I didn't know how to react to it.   A few years ago, I was thrilled just to hear an announcer say the Bills could be trouble for some teams.  But this was different.  This was a statement to the effect that the Bills could beat anybody.  I didn't know how to take it.  

Then I pick up my local paper, which covers the Jets, Giants and Pats, and there's an AP article about how there's an offensive explosion going on in the NFL, and the accompanying photo is an action shot of Josh Allen.   In the article, Jon Gruden says this:  "You watch Buffalo's offense, they can do a lot.  The quarterback can complete passes left-handed.  The guy's a beast standing back there.  They got a pretty good attack."

I find myself hoping friends won't ask me about the Bills, because I don't know what to say.  One thing I do say is, "I told you this was happening."   But then I quickly add, "they aren't good enough yet."  It's like I don't know how to deal with the success.  It was much easier when no one had any expectations for the Bills; losses weren't disappointing then.   But now if they lose, people will want to know what happened, or people will say, "see, same old Bills."  It all feels so strange. 

This is going to take some getting used to.  

I'm about your age - - the games are making me more nervous for some reason!

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I can't remember what it was like 30 years ago when the Bills last were a good team.  I don't remember how I felt or I behaved.  

I've spent 30 years wanting the Bills to be good again, and the early indications are that it is happening.  They could collapse, of course, but I believe McDermott knows what he's doing, and he's building a serious winner.  But as the national media begin to notice the Bills, I don't know if I want or like the attention.  

On one of the games last night, one of the announcers said something like "Don't leave Buffalo out of the conversation.  Buffalo is for real."   Something.  I heard it and realized it was the first time I'd heard a genuinely positive comment about the Bills, a full-fledged statement that the Bills are among the best, since the early 90s.   It sounded so unusual, and I realized that I didn't know how to react to it.   A few years ago, I was thrilled just to hear an announcer say the Bills could be trouble for some teams.  But this was different.  This was a statement to the effect that the Bills could beat anybody.  I didn't know how to take it.  

Then I pick up my local paper, which covers the Jets, Giants and Pats, and there's an AP article about how there's an offensive explosion going on in the NFL, and the accompanying photo is an action shot of Josh Allen.   In the article, Jon Gruden says this:  "You watch Buffalo's offense, they can do a lot.  The quarterback can complete passes left-handed.  The guy's a beast standing back there.  They got a pretty good attack."

I find myself hoping friends won't ask me about the Bills, because I don't know what to say.  One thing I do say is, "I told you this was happening."   But then I quickly add, "they aren't good enough yet."  It's like I don't know how to deal with the success.  It was much easier when no one had any expectations for the Bills; losses weren't disappointing then.   But now if they lose, people will want to know what happened, or people will say, "see, same old Bills."  It all feels so strange. 

This is going to take some getting used to.  

I just channel my inner McCoach:  WWSMS?  (What would Sean McDermott say?)

I smile with a little nod and say "We've done some good things.  A lot of things to clean up. We just need to take it one game at a time."

When they complement a player, Josh Allen say, "Really thrilled with how he's come on.  Time will tell!"

It slips when the mention Stefon Diggs.  All I can say there is: "OH YEAH!"

Nothing like a platitude or 3 to give you confidence.

It’s a process.  Haven’t heard that in 5 minutes.  It’s fun all kidding aside.  I’m almost allowing myself to feel we’ll win this game, we’ll win that game.  TN will be a tough test, but I think we can do it.  I’m a Debbie downer on KC.  They are just ridiculously good.  Even Seattle I have a decent feeling on as their offense is crazy, but they have for once a weak defense.  

It was a good question Shaw.  Back then I thought we would win every week, but then again I was young and dumb.

I think the OP makes some good points. Keep in mind there was ZERO social media so the only way to exchange opinions and viewpoints was with our coworkers or pals on Sunday’s. Information was limited to print and limited TV shows. Now that everything is accessible it makes this recent success feel a little different. 

16 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

If there is a slippage most of us will know it is due to injury, some on special IR list, etc not coaching 

Others will come out from under their rocks and say "I told you so".

3 hours ago, Tierlifer said:

I think the OP makes some good points. Keep in mind there was ZERO social media so the only way to exchange opinions and viewpoints was with our coworkers or pals on Sunday’s. Information was limited to print and limited TV shows. Now that everything is accessible it makes this recent success feel a little different. 

I was on news boards during Bills Superbowl years.