BH13's 2020 Q1 QB Rankings

As many of you know and some will learn now, I set out a few years back to develop a comparative rating system that, when sorted, would more accurately line up with the eye test than traditional stats. I enter all of the data manually each week, so if you see an error please let me know! Common questions:

- fumbles refers specifically to fumbles lost, as it is factored into total turnovers

- yards per touch (YPT) is the QB's pass and rush yards, minus their sack yards, divided by their total attempts 

- the final column is my current ratings - not ESPN's garbage QBR stat

- click on the image to make it bigger. I know there's a lot of info there.

- cutoff to qualify was a minimum of 75 pass attempts

Anyway, let me know what you think of the order through the first quarter of the season and let's discuss! Go Bills!

QX6dEPM.jpg

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 6

19 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

As many of you know and some will learn now, I set out a few years back to develop a comparative rating system that, when sorted, would more accurately line up with the eye test than traditional stats. I enter all of the data manually each week, so if you see an error please let me know! Common questions:

- fumbles refers specifically to fumbles lost, as it is factored into total turnovers

- yards per touch (YPT) is the QB's pass and rush yards, minus their sack yards, divided by their total attempts 

- the final column is my current ratings - not ESPN's garbage QBR stat

- click on the image to make it bigger. I know there's a lot of info there.

- cutoff to qualify was a minimum of 75 pass attempts

Anyway, let me know what you think of the order through the first quarter of the season and let's discuss! Go Bills!

QX6dEPM.jpg

Awesome work, Hokie.

I love that there are 11 QBs with more rushing yards than Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Yes, removing the int (and adding nothing because was OPI anyway) puts him up to 92.2 which would be @TBBills approved #2 ranking and absolutely neck and neck with Wilson.

Nice. Sad that he has to carry that on his stats.

32 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

It is a good list, a lot of work/data involved.

Amazing to see how low Darnold is then again the entire team is a disaster.  And look how low D Watson is thanks in large part to the wonderful work of former HC/GM Bill O Brien.

Allen gets his elite target in Diggs and the offense takes off. Watson looses his elite target and the offense takes a dump. There is a difference in what a elite playmaker can do, It happens in every level of play even down to flag football. When a WR is torching us we have to roll coverage to him which opens up other players and the running game. You remove that elite player and the defense can now dictate to the offense. I still see it when I watch High School football all the way to the pro's, its something that will never change. How O'Brien even got a HC job is unreal to me, he set that Houston team back at least 2 or 3 years. 

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Allen gets his elite target in Diggs and the offense takes off. Watson looses his elite target and the offense takes a dump. There is a difference in what a elite playmaker can do, Its happens in every level of play even down to flag football. When a WR is torching us we have to roll coverage to him which opens up other players and the running game. You remove that elite player and the defense can now dictate to the offense. I still see it when I watch High School football all the way to the pro's, its something that will never change. How O'Brien even got a HC job is unreal to me, he set that Houston team back at least 2 or 3 years. 

OH i agree 100%...you can tell by D Watson's body language how unhappy he is.  I still can't fathom letting trading D Hopkins for an over the hill RB who by the way muffed away a pitchout that could have keep the Texans win the Viking game.  Too bad limited number of fans were allowed in reliant, the booing of BoB this year would have been epic.  And Texan fans are great, i think they have sold out almost every game, not sure how many fans have deserted the team but that brain dead owner sure did piss away a lot of goodwill.

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

OH i agree 100%...you can tell by D Watson's body language how unhappy he is.  I still can't fathom letting trading D Hopkins for an over the hill RB who by the way muffed away a pitchout that could have keep the Texans win the Viking game.  Too bad limited number of fans were allowed in reliant, the booing of BoB this year would have been epic.  And Texan fans are great, i think they have sold out almost every game, not sure how many fans have deserted the team but that brain dead owner sure did piss away a lot of goodwill.

Yea Watson does look like he has checked out this year. So true that those fans would've ripped O'Brien a new one. The chemistry between a QB's number 1 is a valuable thing and sometimes takes years to reach. I am amazed with how fast Allen and Diggs have done it, goes to show that hard work does pay off. Texans are a great fan base, outside of Buffalo and Green Bay they are right up there in the top 5. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Yea Watson does look like he has checked out this year. So true that those fans would've ripped O'Brien a new one. The chemistry between a QB's number 1 is a valuable thing and sometimes takes years to reach. I am amazed with how fast Allen and Diggs have done it, goes to show that hard work does pay off. Texans are a great fan base, outside of Buffalo and Green Bay they are right up there in the top 5. 

I don't think I have ever actually seen a Texans fan other than on TV... TBH I really haven't, they just don't have the fans.

47 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

He's got 3/4 of the season left to make up that 0.5 point difference! 

What happens if you shave off that “interception” 

also, any points added for a passing TD vs. rushing? Cause he definitely had 3 passing TD’s Sunday. 

I also question how sack’s can be evenly judged... obviously some of that is on the QB, but sometimes it’s the Oline... not sure how one would go about creating a distinction there.

Last thought- I think Darnold is ranked too high here. 😜

Either way- great work! 

Edited by whatdrought

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

I don't think I have ever actually seen a Texans fan other than on TV... TBH I really haven't, they just don't have the fans.

My uncle lives in Houston, we took him to a Bills game a few years ago and he was amazed by the Bills fans. We got into the stadium early and just watched the sea of Red, White, and Blue humanity just move towards the stadium as far as your eyes can see. He said most of Texas are Coyboys fans but in Houston and the surrounding areas they are pretty hardcore. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

What happens if you shave off that “interception” 

also, any points added for a passing TD vs. rushing? Cause he definitely had 3 passing TD’s Sunday. 

I also question how sack’s can be evenly judged... obviously some of that is on the QB, but sometimes it’s the Oline... not sure how one would go about creating a distinction there.

Last thought- I think Darnold is ranked too high here. 😜

Either way- great work! 

Yeah, I checked the int a little earlier. Puts him to 92.2 and 2nd by the slimmest of margins. TDs are TDs in this, no weight on run vs pass. Sacks are mostly there to track total attempts for the efficiency rates, but sometimes they add up yardage-wise.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Yeah, I checked the int a little earlier. Puts him to 92.2 and 2nd by the slimmest of margins. TDs are TDs in this, no weight on run vs pass. Sacks are mostly there to track total attempts for the efficiency rates, but sometimes they add up yardage-wise.

I may have missed it, but how is your final QBR calculated from the data supplied.

Also, if a QB fumbled 50 times in a season but his Offense recovered 45 of them, that's equivalent to a QB who only fumbles 5 times all year but recovered none of them?