Who are you?

shoshin

7 minutes ago, SDS said:

I must have posted a new topic? Doesn’t seem right. I’m sure I posted something like the next day. I didn’t want to make it about me. 

I see all the posts with lots of question marks. Was that a signature move of his? I spend no time in the shout box and have it always shut off so I don’t see those discussions. 

3 minutes ago, meazza said:

Scott we’re the only family you ever need. That and your children of course...

This thread is going full kumbaya!

3 hours ago, shoshin said:

You don't have to agree with me or be impressed by me. Who is the guy behind OltTimeAFLGuy? 

Not much of an introduction brother. Are you threatened by people here? 

Not in the least.  Big there are some whack jobs here.  Better safe than sorry. 

5 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I see all the posts with lots of question marks. Was that a signature move of his? I spend no time in the shout box and have it always shut off so I don’t see those discussions. 

which posts? Did you look up his posting history?

in the shoutbox, he eschewed fatherly discussions for posting links to NFL news tweets. Lol.  Generally dry and factual. 

I did learn he spilled a bowl of tomato soup on the carpet and needed to how to clean it up before his wife came home this past January or so. 

That’s pretty much the only peek into his actual life 38 years since I woke up one particular day in 1983. 

11 minutes ago, SDS said:

which posts? Did you look up his posting history?

in the shoutbox, he eschewed fatherly discussions for posting links to NFL news tweets. Lol.  Generally dry and factual. 

I did learn he spilled a bowl of tomato soup on the carpet and needed to how to clean it up before his wife came home this past January or so. 

That’s pretty much the only peek into his actual life 38 years since I woke up one particular day in 1983. 

In the thread his wife posted, lots of the comments have random question marks. I wonder if that was some kind of thing he used to do. 

2 minutes ago, shoshin said:

In the thread his wife posted, lots of the comments have random question marks. I wonder if that was some kind of thing he used to do. 

Got it. I think people didn’t understand what was going on. It seemed clear to me. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I was the one who told his other four kids that he passed away after reading that topic. I mean, what a messed up situation. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Got it. I think people didn’t understand what was going on. It seemed clear to me. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I was the one who told his other four kids that he passed away after reading that topic. I mean, what a messed up situation. 

That is messed up—what a hard thing for him and you and yours. 

The question marks seem too prevalent in the comments to be just that but I don’t know. 

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

Have you or are you interested in a relationship with your half siblings?  I have a similar situation with my father, minus the Bill's website of course.

Just now, shoshin said:

That is messed up—what a hard thing for him and you and yours. 

The question marks seem too prevalent in the comments to be just that but I don’t know. 

It wasn’t hard for either of us. Some people with children just aren’t the parental types. I mean not even a smidgen. It what it is. But it a colorful story to tell. 

Just now, westside2 said:

Have you or are you interested in a relationship with your half siblings?  I have a similar situation with my father, minus the Bill's website of course.

My parents kept me apart from them when I was kid. I’d ask and I would be redirected. Once I was told not to ask.

Oldest looked me up 11 years ago on Facebook. I’m good friends with her and her family and grandchildren. I stay at her house when visiting. We text occasionally.  I don’t talk much to the other three and their families. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

It wasn’t hard for either of us. Some people with children just aren’t the parental types. I mean not even a smidgen. It what it is. But it a colorful story to tell. 

My parents kept me apart from them when I was kid. I’d ask and I would be redirected. Once I was told not to ask.

Oldest looked me up 11 years ago on Facebook. I’m good friends with her and her family and grandchildren. I stay at her house when visiting. We text occasionally.  I don’t talk much to the other three and their families. 

Well, I think he was very proud of you. Some people can't show emotions like that. 

1 minute ago, westside2 said:

Your Q was for Scott but I have 3 half brothers. To me they are my brothers or half and always have been. But they are way younger than me (14, 14, and 17 years...my parents were 19 when they had me and married later to second spouses) so I was a babysitter to them as a teen and grew up loving them from when they are infants, which created a different bond.

My one brother did a lot of time and another spent a rough few years with substance issues. They have all found themselves and are great people. Love them all. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Your Q was for Scott but I have 3 half brothers. To me they are my brothers or half and always have been. But they are way younger than me (14, 14, and 17 years...my parents were 19 when they had me and married later to second spouses) so I was a babysitter to them as a teen and grew up loving them from when they are infants, which created a different bond.

My one brother did a lot of time and another spent a rough few years with substance issues. They have all found themselves and are great people. Love them all. 

I also have two younger half brothers. I try to stay in touch as much as I can. They both are good guys, unlike our dad, which is another story altogether. lol

Left Buffalo over 20 years ago, been in Chicago burbs since.  Run a couple businesses. One is more passive.  The risk and hard work have been worth it but we grind it out every month.  Married over 30 years to a wonderful Buffalo girl, grown kids, 1 dog.  Beginning to get serious about retirement.  Can taste it.  That's really driving me now, that and a life long passion for a great competitive sport (still competing) which I've never mentioned here.   Huge passion for this though it's a big commitment.  Still love Buffalo. 

Enjoy hanging out here a bit to get my mind away from day to day grind and I truly like people.  Politically I'm simply looking for our governments to perform responsibly and much much better than they do.  Washington is a horrible mess.  Hard to see how it gets fixed.  The ingrained culture of party and power first is more destructive than ever.  There are several big important issues that the majority of people (if informed) likely agree on IMO.  Pols should too. The media and pols divide us and deliberately leave these things unsolved.  It's a total dereliction of their duty.  Somehow this to change. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Bills fan since 1964, born and raised in Buffalo and still have family there.  Have lived all over the country, following work/career.  Married over 40 years and have 4 sons and 9 grandchildren.  I'm an Independent politically and tend to be conservative on most issues.  Rabid Bills fan and am a lurker on TBD and had come down to PPP a few times.  I semi retired a year ago and stumbled on a DR post that got me hooked and the rest is history.

5 hours ago, shoshin said:

Yes I would. Gathering the people's information here to remind us that we're all people. 

That's awesome RE the shooting for you but especially your daughter. Of all the things that I should have encourage my daughter for scholarship, I never thought of shooting! Damn it where were you when she was 4 years old and I could have pushed that instead of bunch-ball youth soccer?

Whatever you want to share man/woman/they? 

Rifle/Pistol is the 3rd easiest sport to get a scholarship for which is something like 17% of HS students that participate in the sport get a scholarship.

The best sport to get a scholarship for is Fencing.  ~30% of HS students in that sport get a scholarship.

3 hours ago, SDS said:

I will offer up another sad, dark, seriously? factoid…

My father ditched the family when I was in eighth grade, so somewhere near my 13th birthday. Never had much contact with him after that except for a funeral. Fast forward to the year 2002 - I get a random email from him telling me that he’s been reading my site for years and never knew it was mine. Then he just stop talking to me LOL.

fast forward again to last year I think? I am shooting the ***** in the shout box and someone brings up the blizzard of 77. This poster says they were stuck in a restaurant near Buffalo but came from my dinky little hometown. Like a clueless idiot I asked them who they were because well hey I’m from there!

Turns out my father registered as Kemp2Warlick and has been posting here for years and posting in the shoutbox. Has a son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren. Couldn’t give a rats ass. However, he was very up on what Adam Schefter had to report around the NFL.

And sometimes we’d be the only half a dozen people chatting in the shoutbox. 😂

He passed away recently and his wife, whom I never met, posted here under his display name to let us know how much he loved the community and that he had finally died.

This broke my heart.  I recall reading that post, and my dad used to call us “Ernie Warlick” all the time to bug us so the name stuck out to me. 

I’m sort of at a loss here in what to say next.  “I’m sorry you went through that” doesn’t cut it, and as I think of my own Dad it’s just incomprehensible to me to think someone could do that to his child.  I hope that your mother was extraordinary. 

The ability to overcome that sort of trauma is really something incredible.  Understand that while he missed the boat in a big way, you should be damn proud of what you’ve accomplished. 

• Like (+1) 2