Even Seen a Bear? (Take 2)

On September 26, 2020 at 2:17 PM, Simon said:

It is not true regardless of what internet nonsense you may have read.

No bear wants a fight, they want to be left alone.

Polar bears are dangerous and in very rare, specific circumstances some brown bears may consider you a food source, but they are not interested in slowly killing you or eating you alive. 🤭

As for black bears, they are about as dangerous as a racoon. The reason you rarely see them is that they are absolutely terrified of huge bipedal humans and will almost always run away well before you even knew they were there.

I ran into a habituated black bear just after sunset while I was by myself hiking in the Smokies one time. He followed me for 10-15 minutes until I finally turned around and went right at him. He took off at that point but he did have me ready to jam a hickory walking stick right down his snout. :blush:

Tell that to Leo DiCaprio.

A bear came a wedding shower at my in-law's house.  It walked right through the back yard (mountains of New Hampshire) while the party was inside.  I have a really crappy picture of it playing with the swing set.

I lived in Jackson Hole Wyoming for a year, hiked in Grand Teton National park and Yellowstone a bunch (as well as driving tours) and never saw one. Randomly had one run in front of my car in the Appalachians like a month after I got back. I’ve seen two others since then.

I also saw a dead one about 100 yards down the street from my house (roadkill)... had no idea we had them this close to my place.