Bills lead the league in play action play rate in week 1

YoloinOhio

An interesting study done by Football Outsiders I believe showed that play action works even when the running game is not doing well, which flies in the face of the belief that you must run the ball well to actually use it effectively.

• Like (+1) 5

17 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

An interesting study done by Football Outsiders I believe showed that play action works even when the running game is not doing well, which flies in the face of the belief that you must run the ball well to actually use it effectively.

This. 

USE A TON OF PLAY-ACTION NO MATTER WHAT, IT ALWAYS WORKS!!!

This wasn't the only encouraging stat from week one, either.

The Bills were also top five in the amount of screens they called and top five in the amount of pre-snap motions they employed.

In other words, the Bills are keeping up with NFL trends and operating a modern offense.

I can't believe I just said those words.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

We should be able to get the run game going this week. A perfect chance for Josh to his some long ones to Diggs and Brown.
  If we manage to do both , it will be the blow out we hoped for last week.

This O needs to realize how good it can be.

6 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

play action this often only works if your qb is very mobile. It also gets you in trouble against blitz heavy teams

Either a mobile QB or a good run game.  The Pats used play action a lot with a relatively immobile  Brady but the Pats could run and Brady could  fake hand-offs and sell the run game

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Either a mobile QB or a good run game.  The Pats used play action a lot with a relatively immobile  Brady but the Pats could run and Brady could  fake hand-offs and sell the run game

Witch is going to be a problem if our run game doesnt dramatically improve. if you cant sell it they wont buy it

34 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Correct. Just use play action. It works. 

17 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

So in a Belichickian way  we do something totally different V the fish

Based on Daboll's comments about the game plan for the Jets (that he spread them out because they struggled the most against Baltimore last year), I'd expect a completely different game plan as well. :beer: 

5 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Based on Daboll's comments about the game plan for the Jets (that he spread them out because they struggled the most against Baltimore last year), I'd expect a completely different game plan as well. :beer: 

Na we wont change whats not broken. Less Josh Allen planned runs will equal more runs for the RB but i strongly feel we need to keep joshs motor running. find his ceiling this week. this is the week to do it because the schedule gets real.

and for the love of god stop pulling back on the throttle.. lets find his ceiling now!

Edited by PrimeTime101
added the word not. sorry
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thronethinker said:

I think we are going Run first against the Fish. New England was able to shut them down running the ball. 

You've got to know Belichick. He’s going to try to take away the thing that you do best. We’ll see what that is come NE****** week, but right now it looks like the quick-hit pass game.

To me, that means he’s going to play press coverage and use his OLBs and DEs to bang the slot WRs and TEs to disrupt timing, while throwing interior blitzes at Josh. He’ll want to force Josh to hit some big plays early and not let him get into a rhythm.

I could definitely see Buffalo dialing up a a few shot plays early, but I also suspect that an “easier” answer to that would be to spread them out and use matchup advantages at RB and on the boundary. I’d also look to the screen game to create a few chunk plays—because you can PA pass off that action later in the game.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Witch is going to be a problem if our run game doesnt dramatically improve. if you cant sell it they wont buy it

A common belief but one that is wrong. An in depth study done by Football Outsiders over many years showed there is almost NO correlation between running the ball well and play action working.

It works equally well regardless.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1