Presidential Debates 2020

B-Man

5 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

That was particularly embarrassing...that Biden doesn't even know what he supports. Not surprising, but embarrassing.

But in the end, if I were Trump, I'd run a loop ad on Biden's refusal to answer the question about packing the courts. That questions is likely never to be asked of Biden again, so it's up to Trump to get that message out. I believe it is truly something the American people have a vested interest in.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

That was particularly embarrassing...that Biden doesn't even know what he supports. Not surprising, but embarrassing.

But in the end, if I were Trump, I'd run a loop ad on Biden's refusal to answer the question about packing the courts. That questions is likely never to be asked of Biden again, so it's up to Trump to get that message out. I believe it is truly something the American people have a vested interest in.

I'd have his disavowal of the GND on a loop, along with his "play the tape" comment to him denying he ever called the troops "stupid bastards". 

Joe had a bad night last night. He scored points by surviving 'til the end, but he finished a distant third to Wallace and Trump in terms of saying anything substantial or entertaining. The stage was set last night for a Biden triumph. The bar had been lowered so much for him, the expectations were so low, all he had to do was the bare minimum and he would have been touted as the clear winner. Instead, he bungled it (because he's inept and can't match Trump's personality or energy), and now everyone instead is focusing on how it was, to quote CNN, a "shite show". 

A draw -- which is what I called last night's debate -- is a win for Trump in this media environment. Neither moved the needle, but all Trump had to do was fight, and he pummeled Joe. Call it bullying, no one cares. Weak people don't win the highest seat in the land, and Joe looked feeble and weak last night side by side with 45.

Edited by Deranged Rhino

The biggest question to be asked is in light of the coming pitched battle with China, who do you think you'd rather have leading our country, Biden or Trump? Biden routinely makes statements like "I've gotta end this (5 minute) press conference before I get in trouble with my staff". Today, on an Amtrak tour he ended one brief question and answer session when someone asked him a tough follow up question with "I have to end this now or I'll get in trouble with the conductor". He's been asked many times how he'd handle the Covid-19 crisis and he always says that he would listen to the scientists and do what they told him to do. Seriously, this is not leadership, it's acquiescence. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

The biggest question to be asked is in light of the coming pitched battle with China, who do you think you'd rather have leading our country, Biden or Trump? Biden routinely makes statements like "I've gotta end this (5 minute) press conference before I get in trouble with my staff". Today, on an Amtrak tour he ended one brief question and answer session when someone asked him a tough follow up question with "I have to end this now or I'll get in trouble with the conductor". He's been asked many times how he'd handle the Covid-19 crisis and he always says that he would listen to the scientists and do what they told him to do. Seriously, this is not leadership, it's acquiescence. 

How do you think Trump did last night? Looked presidential to you? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I'd have his disavowal of the GND on a loop, along with his "play the tape" comment to him denying he ever called the troops "stupid bastards". 

Joe had a bad night last night. He scored points by surviving 'til the end, but he finished a distant third to Wallace and Trump in terms of saying anything substantial or entertaining. The stage was set last night for a Biden triumph. The bar had been lowered so much for him, the expectations were so low, all he had to do was the bare minimum and he would have been touted as the clear winner. Instead, he bungled it (because he's inept and can't match Trump's personality or energy), and now everyone instead is focusing on how it was, to quote CNN, a "shite show". 

A draw -- which is what I called last night's debate -- is a win for Trump in this media environment. Neither moved the needle, but all Trump had to do was fight, and he pummeled Joe. Call it bullying, no one cares. Weak people don't win the highest seat in the land, and Joe looked feeble and weak last night side by side with 45.

I didn't find anything particularly entertaining about the sitting President talking over both his opponent and the moderator for the first 60 minutes which amounted to a jumbled mess.  Nor would I consider refusing to allow your opponent a chance to speak a show of strength.

At many times Biden actually looked composed in comparison to Trump's inability to control himself.  Making Biden look like a composed adult is truly remarkable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Jauronimo said:

I didn't find anything particularly entertaining about the sitting President talking over both his opponent and the moderator for the first 60 minutes which amounted to a jumbled mess.  Nor would I consider refusing to allow your opponent a chance to speak a show of strength.

At many times Biden actually looked composed in comparison to Trump's inability to control himself.  Making Biden look like a composed adult is truly remarkable.

I can see that POV. Trump's style isn't for everyone, but he is who he is. This is who he was in 2016, it's who he's been throughout all his first term. He's a tank.

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Not disagreeing at all.  But did you find the former Vice President calling the current President "a clown" and talking over him presidential or entertaining?

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

I can see that POV. Trump's style isn't for everyone, but he is who he is. This is who he was in 2016, it's who he's been throughout all his first term. He's a tank.

If he's going to be a "tank" then I don't want to hear anymore whining about supposed moderator favoritism the next time Trump tries to roll over his opponent and anyone who tries to get him to respect the agreed upon format of the debate.

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

He's tanking, that's for sure. One term loser 

Just now, Taro T said:

Not disagreeing at all.  But did you find the former Vice President calling the current President "a clown" and talking over him presidential or entertaining?

Lol, how dare he! 

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

If he's going to be a "tank" then I don't want to hear anymore whining about supposed moderator favoritism the next time Trump tries to roll over his opponent and anyone who tries to get him to respect the agreed upon format of the debate.

It's not supposed favoritism though, it's real bias. It's evident and has been. They are trying to win a game with rigged rules, Trump won't play by those rigged rules. You think that's a problem, but millions cheer it on because they're tired of the political class having one set of rules for them and one set for the rest of us. 

Hence the massive divide in this country. 

Edited by Deranged Rhino
added a line

1 hour ago, Plano said:

Canada is better than the USA, period.

USA isn't great anymore. We're falling behind constantly. It's sad to see.

Make America Great Britain Again 

Better at what exactly?

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

How is Canada better than the USA? Where is Canada ahead of America?

Curling trophies? First country to have a cross-dressing prime minister? Hell, they claim hockey as their sport and they can't even the Stanley Cup. 

Exactly. I mean I personally would rather live in Canada than in the US but I'd love to hear his reasoning for why it's better.

Biden calls Trump’s behavior during first presidential debate ‘a national embarrassment’

By Felicia Sonmez
Joe Biden speaks at Amtrak's Alliance Train Station on Wednesday, in Alliance, Ohio.
Joe Biden speaks at Amtrak's Alliance Train Station on Wednesday, in Alliance, Ohio. (Andrew Harnik/AP)

At a campaign stop Wednesday afternoon in Alliance, Ohio, Biden called Trump’s behavior during the first presidential debate “a national embarrassment” and said he hopes the Commission on Presidential Debates ensures that both candidates are allowed to speak without interruptions during their remaining two faceoffs.

“I just hope there’s a way in which the debate commission can control the ability of us to answer the questions without interruptions,” Biden told reporters. “I’m not going to speculate on what happens in the second or third debate. … But I’m looking forward to it.”

Asked what his message would be to undecided voters who were turned off from politics after watching Tuesday night’s debate, Biden responded, “I can understand it.”

“I kind of thought at one point — maybe I shouldn’t say this — but, the president of the United States conducting himself the way he did, I think it was just a national embarrassment,” Biden said. “Look, I just hope that the American people and those undecided voters try to determine what each of us has as an answer for their concerns and allows us to actually speak.”

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Trump Bidened Biden.  After the debate with Paul Ryan, where Biden's interrupting style was so widely noted that they did an SNL skit on it, Trump simply super-sized the Biden approach.  I don't like the style from either side, generally find debates a waste of time, but Biden famously made Ryan look like a deer in the headlights. 

Biden interrupted, made derogatory comments and seemed frustrated enough that Wallace had to remind him what the question was,  but seemed entirely unprepared for the tactic. 

I think Joe Biden from even four years ago is able to handle it without getting turned around.  At one point as i recall he talked about dead people being out of work. 

Just now, Taro T said:

It was just as entertaining as when the President called him dumb.   

Biden had to talk over Trump.  He had no choice.  If he doesn't go on the offensive and play the same game as Trump then we hear about how weak he is.  Its the reason he has the nomination.  Biden won the bid because he was viewed as a fighter and someone who can stand up to Trump.  That debate was a new low in American politics.

There is nothing presidential about either of them but no one seems to really care anymore.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

How do you think Trump did last night? Looked presidential to you? 

No, but he rarely looks presidential. You Lefties always miss the point though. How he sounds or if his mop of hair is all messed up isn't what matters. He's a man of action and should be judged on what he actually does. He's a Git-Er-Done President who has methodically addressed problems and has either solved them or put them on the way to being solved. The best analogy I can think of is the old baseball adage of "get them on, get them over and get them in". That's Trump. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Riveting stuff.  You support someone who won’t condemn white supremacy.  Chew on that. 

He was trying to clarify what he meant by “white supremacy” as it means nothing like what it used to anymore. Just being proud while white is considered white supremacy. That’s why he asked Chris to name what he meant. He told the Proud Boys, who Chris names, to “stand down” like Chris asked. He then went on the offensive with Joe. It made it seem like it was a passing statement, but he said it.

My theory is that he wanted to move on to the next thought before he lost his train or thought he had so he quickly got his answer out of the way and turned the tables. I find myself trying to jump to the next thing like that at times, trying to capitalize on a thought that I think is profound while giving a cursory response to the question my interlocutor has posed. Not something I’m proud of and something I actively try to avoid, but it happens. I think others can identify but I don’t know if many will admit it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Jauronimo said:

It was just as entertaining as when the President called him dumb.   

Biden had to talk over Trump.  He had no choice.  If he doesn't go on the offensive and play the same game as Trump then we hear about how weak he is.  Its the reason he has the nomination.  Biden won the bid because he was viewed as a fighter and someone who can stand up to Trump.  That debate was a new low in American politics.

I fully agree on your assessment of Biden. And by that metric, he failed miserably last night. He looked slow, weak and could not match Trump's pace. He needed Wallace to protect him, even asked him to do so multiple times. That's not a fighter. For all the talk about Joe taking Trump behind the school and beating him up (remember those claims) Joe got pummeled. 

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

There is nothing presidential about either of them but no one seems to really care anymore.  

Because we are at war. We're just not calling it that. Image is secondary.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

No, but he rarely looks presidential. You Lefties always miss the point though. How he sounds or if his mop of hair is all messed up isn't what matters. He's a man of action and should be judged on what he actually does. He's a Git-Er-Done President who has methodically addressed problems and has either solved them or put them on the way to being solved. The best analogy I can think of is the old baseball adage of "get them on, get them over and get them in". That's Trump. 

A man of action? He sits watching TV all day. Some action! He's a dope and a big mouth, that's it. 

And he is going to lose 

1:16 p.m.

Schumer calls Trump’s debate performance one of ‘an idiot, full of sound and fury’

By John Wagner
Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) walks to his office on Capitol Hill in Washington on Wednesday.
Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) walks to his office on Capitol Hill in Washington on Wednesday. (Joshua Roberts/Reuters)

During remarks Wednesday on the Senate floor, Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said Trump’s debate performance was one of “an idiot, full of sound and fury,” as he borrowed words from William Shakespeare.

“Last night, President Trump delivered one of the most disgraceful performances at a presidential debate anyone has ever seen, and I don’t mean that from a political perspective," Schumer said. "I mean it from a human perspective."

The Senate’s top Democrat said Trump was “unable to show a scintilla of respect, unable to follow even the most basic rules of human civility or decorum, unwilling to constrain a stream of obvious falsehoods and right-wing vile."

Quoting from Shakespeare’s “Macbeth,” Schumer said Trump’s performance was “a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”

“In an hour and a half that felt like a lifetime, the president managed to insult vice president’s deceased son and smear a living one, please a fringe white supremacist group and capped the night off by again casting doubt on our own elections.”

Addressing his colleagues, Schumer asked: “How can you possibly, possibly support anyone who behaves this way? Are you watching the same person that we are?”