Presidential Debates 2020

B-Man

5 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Why would that make it legitimate? You are saying (I think) that this would make the comment accurate as a matter of fact.

I am saying that in the poster's original context "black" adds nothing in the form of legitimate argument, such that we have to question why anyone would include it.

I am not one to cry "racism" every time someone's race is noted. If we are talking like pundits (and this board is ostensibly about punditry) it's fine to discuss why a candidate of one race or another is in a better situation to win or lose. But that's different, and I think you are intelligent and can see that.

People are not allowed to use color to describe someone?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

People are not allowed to use color to describe someone?

OK, I don't want to go all Sensitivity Trainer on you, but let's try this.

A. "A pedestrian was killed last night after being hit by a vehicle. The driver did not stop to render assistance, and police say he failed to yield at a red light. Police suspect that the driver may have been impaired. The driver is described as a black man, approximately 30 years old, driving a late-model Ford truck that may have some front-end damage. If you have information that may be relevant to the police investigation, you are encouraged to call Buffalo police at [number]."

B. "A pedestrian was killed last night after being hit by a vehicle. The driver did not stop to render assistance, and police say he failed to yield at a red light. The driver fled at a high rate of speed and ran into a tree and was killed instantly. The driver was a black man, approximately 30 years old, driving a late-model Ford truck. Police are withholding his identity pending identification of next of kin.

Is the race of the driver relevant in one but not the other?

(Maybe that will help)

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

OK, I don't want to go all Sensitivity Trainer on you, but let's try this.

A. "A pedestrian was killed last night after being hit by a vehicle. The driver did not stop to render assistance, and police say he failed to yield at a red light. Police suspect that the driver may have been impaired. The driver is described as a black man, approximately 30 years old, driving a late-model Ford truck that may have some front-end damage. If you have information that may be relevant to the police investigation, you are encouraged to call Buffalo police at [number]."

B. "A pedestrian was killed last night after being hit by a vehicle. The driver did not stop to render assistance, and police say he failed to yield at a red light. The driver fled at a high rate of speed and ran into a tree and was killed instantly. The driver was a black man, approximately 30 years old, driving a late-model Ford truck. Police are withholding his identity pending identification of next of kin.

Is the race of the driver relevant in one but not the other?

(Maybe that will help)

Frankish, give it up.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Frankish, give it up.

So, no response. Because referring to an "angry black woman" in the original post was clearly in the manner of my example "B" -- a gratuitous reference to race that had nothing to do with the premise of the post. Unless the premise of the post was something other than what it purported to be ...

Don't defend the indefensible. 

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

So, no response. Because referring to an "angry black woman" in the original post was clearly in the manner of my example "B" -- a gratuitous reference to race that had nothing to do with the premise of the post. 

:wallbash:

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

So, no response. Because referring to an "angry black woman" in the original post was clearly in the manner of my example "B" -- a gratuitous reference to race that had nothing to do with the premise of the post. Unless the premise of the post was something other than what it purported to be ...

The only reason she was chosen was because she is black. Now you can't even call her black? Good lord the left has lost their minds.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, westside2 said:

The only reason she was chosen was because she is black. Now you can't even call her black? Good lord the left has lost their minds.

I am not "the left." I voted for Romney for chrissakes.

Because people are either inadvertently or deliberately mischaracterizing what I had a problem with, I'll share it again:

There have been 44 Presidents (G Cleveland counted 2x), /9= over 20% chance Biden will not finish term.

But of the two, Biden 4-5 years older, lack of campaigning stamina, gaffs all make Trump the better choice, especially with an angry black K Harris as the. President in waiting

50 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

I will be shocked if one presidential debate happens.  They will create cover for Biden and have a VP debate or two so we don't have to hear the crinkle and Edison noises, if you know what I mean.

Biden isn’t the one needing cover. The guy who lied about the virus does 

19 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Because people are either inadvertently or deliberately mischaracterizing what I had a problem with, I'll share it again:

There have been 44 Presidents (G Cleveland counted 2x), /9= over 20% chance Biden will not finish term.

But of the two, Biden 4-5 years older, lack of campaigning stamina, gaffs all make Trump the better choice, especially with an angry black K Harris as the. President in waiting

While this really doesn't have much to do with the argument put forth, I don't see Kamala Harris as angry. She has shown that she is a clown by laughing at serious matters. Was it funny that she is Jamaican and has had many personal experiences with ganja? What about when she dismissed her claims against Biden as being racist (in the first dem debate) with laughter? To her, it's all just a performance, as if she was on the Jimmy Kimmel Show. 

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

While this really doesn't have much to do with the argument put forth, I don't see Kamala Harris as angry. She has shown that she is a clown by laughing at serious matters. Was it funny that she is Jamaican and has had many personal experiences with ganja? What about when she dismissed her claims against Biden as being racist (in the first dem debate) with laughter? To her, it's all just a performance, as if she was on the Jimmy Kimmel Show. 

Fair points.

(See, it's easy to be critical of someone without crossing a line)

2 hours ago, meazza said:

Brilliant. Agree to something Joe could never possibly do, would never possibly do, and claim victory. 

The man knows what he's doing. 

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You may not think you're left, but your brain has been infested by critical theory -- which is noxious poison for the mind. Its unstated goal is in fact the opposite of the cause you believe you're fighting for. Ingesting Marxism under the guise of "critical race theory" (or any of its offspring) is a losing battle if you wish to remain a free thinking person. 

Edited by Deranged Rhino

5 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You may not think you're left, but your brain has been infested by critical theory -- which is noxious poison for the mind. Its unstated goal is in fact the opposite of the cause you believe you're fighting for. Ingesting Marxism under the guise of "critical race theory" (or any of its offspring) is a losing battle if you wish to remain a free thinking person.

Read the actual quote from the post, then defend that instead of attacking some strawman Marxist/critical race theorist.

2 hours ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

I will be shocked if one presidential debate happens.  They will create cover for Biden and have a VP debate or two so we don't have to hear the crinkle and Edison noises, if you know what I mean.

Oh, the debates will happen.  

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Somehow you are too intelligent to write things like the poster I quoted. So I'll take that as you know that something's wrong with it, but that poster is a fellow traveler so you don't want to condemn it.

Critical race theory -- in all its forms -- reinforces racism and tries to combat racism by offering more racism. Like, as an example, taking a benign comment and twisting it into a racist attack where none was intended. The purpose of CT is to tear down everything it touches without offering a solution or replacement to what it destroys. It's pure Marxism -- and literally nothing good ever came from Marxist philosophy or reinterpretation. Marxism is brain poison, and CT is the gateway drug to the harder ideologies.  

(This is not meant as an attack on you -- I don't think you're a Marxist, but there is CT creep in your language which you might be unaware of)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Critical race theory -- in all its forms -- reinforces racism and tries to combat racism by offering more racism. Like, as an example, taking a benign comment and twisting it into a racist attack where none was intended. The purpose of CT is to tear down everything it touches without offering a solution or replacement to what it destroys. It's pure Marxism -- and literally nothing good ever came from Marxist philosophy or reinterpretation. Marxism is brain poison, and CT is the gateway drug to the harder ideologies.  

And what is your formal training in Marxist political theory and critical race theory? 

I have had more than my fair share at the graduate level, and I reject both.

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

And what is your formal training in Marxist political theory and critical race theory? 

I have had more than my fair share at the graduate level, and I reject both.

I'm a historian by training and education, including graduate school. 

... And I spent the past 12 years working in Hollywood, right in the belly of the beast ;) 

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

I'm a historian by training and education, including graduate school. 

Well then you should know better.

I did not do the old "you used a dog whistle blah blah blah." It was a specific reference to Biden being unable to serve so that "angry black K. Harris" will ascend to the presidency. That's blatant.

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I really don't see the difference between calling her that and the left saying angry old white men. 

Voting for Romney is like voting for the left. Lol

I kid, I kid....

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

(This is not meant as an attack on you -- I don't think you're a Marxist, but there is CT creep in your language which you might be unaware of)

I respectfully disagree.

Now to turn the tables -- and also not meant as an attack on you -- do you realize how close some of the conspiratorial thinking you engage in comes to classical Marxist thought? 

Marxism: the world is run by the interest of capital (read: capitalists). They will occasionally give the ordinary person the illusion of control, but this is simply to perpetuate the system and to stave off the proletarian revolution. 

Whatever the New Trumpist Thing is Called: the world is run by hidden powers backed by (yep) capitalists like George Soros. They use mechanisms of control, including the potential for blackmail, to stay in power. It is important that they give you some illusion of free will lest you rebel and displace the deep state through the ballot box or through other means.

I do not believe in either flavor of World Domination Conspiracy. Which one of us is further from Marxist (some academics prefer "Marxian" -- as in influenced by Marx, but not explicitly adopting his view of the progression of political economy) thought? Which one of us has gone so far right that he's starting to revolve around the planet to shake hands with Glenn Greenwald and Julian Assange and Edward Snowden?

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

:lol:

So a guy sets up his own online/twitter poll on something called Poll Watch -- "Election information, analysis, and opinion. Republican." -- and lo and behold, 92.8% of his readers love this idea. In other news, recent government polling in Belarus shows overwhelming support for Lukashenko.

Come on, you can do better than this.

31 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

So a guy sets up his own online/twitter poll on something called Poll Watch -- "Election information, analysis, and opinion. Republican." -- and lo and behold, 92.8% of his readers love this idea. In other news, recent government polling in Belarus shows overwhelming support for Lukashenko.

Come on, you can do better than this.

I wonder if it is possible to buy a sense of humor? If so, you should look into it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I wonder if it is possible to buy a sense of humor? If so, you should look into it.

Evidently I missed the extraordinarily dry humor with which you delivered (without any kind of comment) a totally bogus poll result. 

EDIT: there is nothing funny about eating children! (that seems to be the go-to around here)

At the debates, all Trump has to do when Biden starts talking about what he's going to do is ask "you've been in government for 49 years and VP for 8 of those, and had full control of Congress in the first year.  Why didn't you do anything then?  Was Obama inept?"  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1