I Am Trying.......

Last season, the Bills apparently targeted JP in a big way. I did not like the trade then nor do I now. I accept it, but that is another issue.

My point is that TD saw that JP was still there on draft day when Dallas was up. TD wanted him and pulled the trigger. This makes sense. Why on earth would the skins trade for the 25th pick BEFORE they know who is out there?

I read that they may be targeting the Auburn qb (Campbell?). What makes them think that he will not go in the top 20? Am I making sense? If this is who they covet, he could very easily be drafted well in advance of 25.

This raises the obvious question....who was behind this unusual deal.....Gibbs (a football man in the truest sense) or Snyder (an eccentric billionaire)?

My sincere guess is that Snyder, as crazy as he seems, would not do something this odd without input from Gibbs. There is nothing that comes to mind that can make me justify this trade, except for the possibility that they are going to make another move.

Moral of this rant? I think that a deal for NC is going to happen, and soon.

I am more than willing to take the flames. :w00t:

Last season, the Bills apparently targeted JP in a big way. I did not like the trade then nor do I now. I accept it, but that is another issue.

My point is that TD saw that JP was still there on draft day when Dallas was up. TD wanted him and pulled the trigger. This makes sense. Why on earth would the skins trade for the 25th pick BEFORE they know who is out there?

I read that they may be targeting the Auburn qb (Campbell?). What makes them think that he will not go in the top 20? Am I making sense? If this is who they covet, he could very easily be drafted well in advance of 25.

This raises the obvious question....who was behind this unusual deal.....Gibbs (a football man in the truest sense) or Snyder (an eccentric billionaire)?

My sincere guess is that Snyder, as crazy as he seems, would not do something this odd without input from Gibbs. There is nothing that comes to mind that can make me justify this trade, except for the possibility that they are going to make another move.

I am more than willing to take the flames.  :w00t:

311024[/snapback]

Maybe they trade the 25th pick for Clements after drafting the WR Clayton with the 9th. More reasonable then trading the 9th pick for Clements.

I don't believe their interest in Campbell either. If they could keep Ramsey protected, he'd be serviceable. If Gibbs could win SB's with Williams, Rypien and Theisman he can win (not necesssarily the SB) with Ramsey.

311024[/snapback]

i think people are reading too much in to this.......the skins felt they had a fair deal with the broncos.......in fact, they paid less then the bills did last year.........as well, they felt the price may go up as the draft drew closer, and would defantiely increase come draft day......as a result, they thought the deal was good for the team and opened up more options for them, in terms of both moving up and moving down in the draft......

i don't think it's any more complicated then that........

i think people are reading too much in to this.......the skins felt they had a fair deal with the broncos.......in fact, they paid less then the bills did last year.........as well, they felt the price may go up as the draft drew closer, and would defantiely increase come draft day......as a result, they thought the deal was good for the team and opened up more options for them, in terms of both moving up and moving down in the draft......

i don't think it's any more complicated then that........

311034[/snapback]

The skins paid less? Not so sure. It looks almost exactly the same, no? We gave a 2nd and a 5th in a strong draft. They gave up a 4th this year and a 3rd next season, right? Plus, we lost several spots wrt the swap of firsts. Sorry, I see the difference as negligible.

Btw, thanks for the publicity on your signature. :w00t:;)

Bill, I agree with you. I was thinking along these lines... what if TD thinks (1) there isn't anybody worth taking with the #9 pick and (2) he wouldn't be able to find a partner willing to trade up to #9 once he got it? He'd tell Washington, "I don't want your #9 because all I'd want to do with it is trade down and get at least a low first and a high second. Since I don't think anyone will give me that, why don't YOU go get a low first and trade it to me along with your high second for Nate? That cuts out the middleman and you get to keep your #9."

Am I crazy?

The skins paid less? Not so sure. It looks almost exactly the same, no? We gave a 2nd and a 5th in a strong draft. They gave up a 4th this year and a 3rd next season, right? Plus, we lost several spots wrt the swap of firsts. Sorry, I see the difference as negligible.

Btw, thanks for the publicity on your signature.  :w00t:  ;)

311038[/snapback]

actually it was a 3rd this year and a 4th next year........

the bills gave up a 2nd in the year of the trade vs. the skins giving up a 3rd........a 4th in the next year's draft is the same as giving up a 5th in the current draft, so that is a wash........i hear what your saying about strength of draft, but i'm just talking about pure "draft pick chart" value......i think it is way too early to assess the strength of next year's class anyway.......

as for the signature, you know what they say........all publicity is good publicity! ;)

Very good chance that they do want a QB with that pick, maybe it's Frye & the Campbell thing is the smokescreen. The trade makes sense because if the QB isn't there they pick a CB.

PS: No way we take pick that pick for Nate unless they throw in Samuels (in other words-not happening)

311024[/snapback]

"Eccentric billionaire" is an awfully polite way of putting it...

Via Occam's Razor...given that Snyder has historically shown a meddlesome tendency towards managing his franchise as though he's in a Fantasy Football league, I would not be the least bit surprised if Snyder made the trade on his own on the principle that "two first round picks are better than one". and that the first Gibbs' heard about it was Snyder peeing his pants with joy saying "Guess what, Joe...I got us an extra first round pick!"

my thinking is this. there is no REAL value at #9 that can't be had at #25, so now that puts #9 on the "market" and they get some future picks, later round picks and/or some FA out of it and they still have a 1st round pick that will be more worth the money than would be the over priced money for a #9 pick in this draft. personally I think it was a fabulous move by the skins!

I think they want to move up in the draft to number two. They would need at least twol 1st round picks to do that.... Dont listen to what they say, watch what they do...I expect them to make the move with Miami to get Edwards...

Very good chance that they do want a QB with that pick, maybe it's Frye & the Campbell thing is the smokescreen.  The trade makes sense because if the QB isn't there they pick a CB. 

PS: No way we take pick that pick for Nate unless they throw in Samuels (in other words-not happening)

311076[/snapback]

My guess is that in no way do they want a QB, and I'll explain why.

#1) Gibbs hates young QBs. Saw what he did with Brunnell last year. He just could not trust a second year QB, so he went and Brunnell

#2) Gibbs has won won three SBs with three differant QBs, but they were all veterans. Back in the day , Gibbs could stockpile guys on the IR for three years, then bring them in after some seasoning.

#3) He knows as well as you and I he will be there for no more than three more years. If he wants to win now, which he does, rookie QB ain't gonna help you(big ben and JP excluded)

#4 No matter what they say, Gibbs runs the show.

311024[/snapback]

Bill, these guys like Campbell and they really need a CB. This draft has about 5 CB's of first round quality depending on who you talk to. I think they will take Campbell at 9, not at 25. They will then use that 25 on the best CB that is still on the board. Ideally, they would have wanted to do it the way we did it with Losman, wait and see if he was still on the board. Apparently there was too much of a risk that Denver would trade with someone else before then so they pulled the trigger now. If they really want Campbell as all the prognosticators claim, I think they will take him at 9 and go CB at 25.

I think they want to move up in the draft to number two. They would need at least twol 1st round picks to do that.... Dont listen to what they say, watch what they do...I expect them to make the move with Miami to get Edwards...

311338[/snapback]

That's the rumor on Sirius. Supposedly the Skins have contacted all the teams with the top four picks. They don't have enough to budge SF. Miami is a definite possibility. No mention of Cleveland. Chicago is said to be interested, but waiting to see if the Cards trade for Henry. They want to make sure they can get one of the top 3 backs at #9.