August 17th in Bills History

LB48

1st ever Bills home game in Orchard Park. 

I got stuck and stranded in traffic on Transit Road.  We just went to the nearest bar and listened to the game on radio.  That kick-off return by the 'skins'  in the first 10 seconds was a killer. My ticket is below!!

First Game in OP ticket.jpg

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, LB48 said:

I got stuck and stranded in traffic on Transit Road.  We just went to the nearest bar and listened to the game on radio.  That kick-off return by the 'skins'  in the first 10 seconds was a killer. My ticket is below!!

$7.00????????? You mind if I ask the year? I would want to offend with a guess. LOL

35 minutes ago, LB48 said:

Traffic was a mess, we stood outside waiting to get in and heard the roar of the crowd. Then the silence of the gut punch. Herb Mulkey with the return as I remember. A sweet and sour memory. 

We are the real deal Bills NOW! 

GO BILLS!!!!

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

$7.00????????? You mind if I ask the year? I would want to offend with a guess. LOL

1973!  The Bills lost all SIX pre-season games that year - but - the Juice emerged.

I was working in the stands a pop vendor that season, and I was there for the first game.  The next year I had turned 18 so I was old enough to sell beer, so I made a lot more money from then on.  (Yes, the drinking age was 18 way back then.)

1973 was the year OJ broke 2000 yards in 14 games, which no one has ever done again.  To me, he was the best RB ever, other than Jim Brown who was  the best football player ever.  Because I was working, I got into the games for free that year.  I didn't make much money but I did get to see a lot of OJ. 

• Like (+1) 3

from the personal memory bank

attendance was 80.020(for sellouts at Rich Stadium)  and Buffalo Evening News often posted that in the box score of Bills games

several of those who went to the game got stuck in traffic and missed it and some parked on sides of road and walked

a construction worker who erected the first goal-posts kicked the first ever FG at the new stadium an 11 yarder

Herb Mul-key of the then Redskins took the opening kick-off for a 102 yard touchdown

Bills lost 

https://buffalonews.com/news/this-day-in-buffalo-sports-history-aug-17-1973-traffic-was-awful-for-bills-first/article_100d5df2-9aa3-5bdc-b93d-22126b217584.html

Duane Thomas mercurial-tempermental RB for the 'skins (cowbows prior) had to held-baclk from going over the wall to get at fans who were heckling or whatever, some girls reported in the paper the next day that they were scared that he was going after them.

47 years later, same stadium and a lot of memories, including rock concerts, all-day events with multiple acts...called them summer-fest or super-fest.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

attendance was 80.020(for sellouts at Rich Stadium)  and Buffalo Evening News often posted that in the box score of Bills games

several of those who went to the game got stuck in traffic and missed it and some parked on sides of road and walked

a construction worker who erected the first goal-posts kicked the first ever FG at the new stadium an 11 yarder

Herb Mul-key of the then Redskins took the opening kick-off for a 102 yard touchdown

Bills lost 

https://buffalonews.com/news/this-day-in-buffalo-sports-history-aug-17-1973-traffic-was-awful-for-bills-first/article_100d5df2-9aa3-5bdc-b93d-22126b217584.html

Duane Thomas mercurial-tempermental RB for the 'skins (cowbows prior) had to held-baclk from going over the wall to get at fans who were heckling or whatever, some girls reported in the paper the next day that they were scared that he was going after them.

47 years later, same stadium and a lot of memories, including rock concerts, all-day events with multiple acts...called them summer-fest or super-fest.

I forgot all about Duane Thomas!  He was ahead of his time in being a messed up player!!!!

On 8/17/2020 at 7:02 AM, First Round Bust said:

Bills lost 

I got more detail on that for sure.

My father got two tickets and he and I went. We were about the fourth row from the field right behind Washington.

It was very late in the game ion there was one drunk that kept heckling Duane Thomas all night long, suddenly Thomas makes a bolt for the stands, he is half way up the wall when he is pulled down by two redskins but before they pull him down, he grabs a metal thermos and whips in the direction of the drunk with a lot of velocity. had he hit someone in the face he could have killed them.  It hit the metal seats and bounded away.

So in Sports Illustrated the next week they have a picture of that and there in the extreme corner of the pic is my father after Thomas had whipped the thermos.  I will say Thomas jumping and thrown that was scary, the man was enraged and extremely powerful and quick.

On 8/17/2020 at 8:26 AM, BeerLeagueHockey said:

I have the plastic gold coin commemorating this glorious preseason game (eyeroll).  It was given to me by a Browns fan when I lived in Georgia in 1999.  Figure that one out. 

They handed those on cardboard with some memorial about the stadium, i recall as a young kid i collected about 10 by the end of the evening.  I will look for one tonight and maybe post a pic of it.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 3

On 8/17/2020 at 9:11 AM, RiotAct said:

are you going to cross out “Redskins” with a sharpie and write “Football Team” in its place?

ahem, I stand corrected...I refer to them, the local team[of which I am not a fan] as the Washington football team formerly known as the Redskins...I think this is politically correct as well as factual (alternative fact maybe)...flame on beotches

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

For what it’s worth, the heckling started and continued because he was the first player to not join his teammates for the national anthem. He either sat or turned his back to the flag, I can’t remember which.

i was walking on the 400 at the time because traffic wasn’t moving. Got there at halftime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duane_Thomas

total head case,  Super Bowl MVP (not),  but there are some good quotes he made, seems the Cowboys brought him back x 3, plus the trade to NE is bizarre and involves a player who would later become a Bill.. .saw something on NFL films years ago where he would not talk to team-mates during practice or film sessions to the point where they would call him out...contract-related behavior