Jump to content
DefenseWins

Bob Costas Brings Up A Good Point about NFL Players

Recommended Posts

 

see Bob Costas question about NFL players Corona risk factors at about the 4:05 mark...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bob Costas jumped the shark some time ago.

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Costas is right.  With the amount of NFL players that, despite being athletes, would be considered obese by medical standards, they are taking a huge risk opting in to the NFL season.  

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Meh 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Haven't watched. Let me guess... He wants to cancel the season.

 

I didn't watch either and my first thought was we were going to get some long winded response on why the NFL should cancel out. Bob Costas is all about keeping Bob Costas relevant after he got enough clout with "heavy hitting" sports interviews and stories.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great. Maybe next Captain Pink Eye there can explain to everyone the importance of washing our hands.

  • Meh 1
  • Haha (+1) 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you who want to assume what Costas is advocating without listening to his comments, he doesn't advocate anything one way or the other.  Rather he offers serious consideration for whether the NFL has a shot at succeeding with a full season, just by the nature of the sport, the size of rosters and trying to play in 32 venues.  He further mentions that at least NFL players have a union to protect them as opposed to college players.  All valid points.  

 

I love and miss football as much as anyone but I'll be shocked if this season isn't curtailed in length or marred by some tragedy.

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So what did he say? 
 

Edit: thanks for the summary👍

Edited by Don Otreply

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

So what did he say?

Read my post just above yours.

You're welcome!

Edited by jkeerie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jkeerie said:

Read my post just above yours.

We posted nearly at the same time, and I did, thanks 👍

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how many coaches and or players (OL in particular) will wind up on ventilators or just plain DEAD before some fans will start taking this virus seriously and give it the respect it deserves. This is a PANDEMIC we are faced with - NOT the effin common cold! We are all football fans but cmon these players are HUMAN BEINGS. Just because they play professional sports does not make them (or any of us for that matter) invincible....

  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

For those of you who want to assume what Costas is advocating without listening to his comments, he doesn't advocate anything one way or the other.  Rather he offers serious consideration for whether the NFL has a shot at succeeding with a full season, just by the nature of the sport, the size of rosters and trying to play in 32 venues.  He further mentions that at least NFL players have a union to protect them as opposed to college players.  All valid points.  

 

I love and miss football as much as anyone but I'll be shocked if this season isn't curtailed in length or marred by some tragedy.

 

Give me one good reason why Bob Costas's opinion about this is worth listening to. 

 

Did he get a medical degree since I last checked on his bio?

Edited by Beast
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he brings up a solid point in the secondary issues  after having covid and the heart and how that impacts players that are overweight......might explain why Star is sitting out.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Beast said:

 

Give me one good reason why Bob Costas's opinion about this is worth listening to. 

 

Did he get a medical degree since I last checked on hos bio?

Costas is merely using common sense.  Unless you're in denial about the seriousness of this pandemic, and the impact this virus can have on the human body, I think many would agree his points are valid.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DefenseWins said:

I wonder how many coaches and or players (OL in particular) will wind up on ventilators or just plain DEAD before some fans will start taking this virus seriously and give it the respect it deserves. This is a PANDEMIC we are faced with - NOT the effin common cold! We are all football fans but cmon these players are HUMAN BEINGS. Just because they play professional sports does not make them (or any of us for that matter) invincible....

I agree with  your sentiments, “some folk” here may not realize it but they come across as if they don’t give a 💩 about anyone or anything other than their  “god dang constitutional right to be entertained”’ regardless of the consequences for anyone else, and the players should just shut up and entertain them, it is a massively F d up way to think. Sure hope I’m wrong on this but some of the stuff I’ve read here says otherwise. Let’s all hope for the best outcome for these young men and their families, and if we are real darned lucky we get to watch our guys play some football. 
 

Go Bills!!!

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

People watch CNN?

Likely the vast majority of the voting population of our country watches CNN at some point every week or more,  in fact most well informed voters tune into multiple news sources to get an overall better understanding of various trains of thought... ya don’t learn much by only listening to one source of information. 
 

Go Bills!!!

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Costas is merely using common sense.  Unless you're in denial about the seriousness of this pandemic, and the impact this virus can have on the human body, I think many would agree his points are valid.

 

Well, it seems like a whole lot of NFL players, staff, owners and league officials are in denial, huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Beast said:

 

Well, it seems like a whole lot of NFL players, staff, owners and league officials are in denial, huh?

Yup, denial is the word most would choose, you hit the nail on the head Beast. 
 

Go Bills!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Beast said:

 

Well, it seems like a whole lot of NFL players, staff, owners and league officials are in denial, huh?

It's not necessarily denial as much as risk acceptance.  I think owners are thinking strictly about economics.  For players I think it's some economics and their love of the game.  Right now many players are willing to accept the risks.  If we start seeing cases and transmission among players and teams, that may change.  

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...