Those 'Poor' People earning $200k

Waaaaaah.

Our household makes less than half of that, we pay about $25k/year for health insurance, I lost 3 months worth of work from one client because of the virus, and we've got a son in college. Our stimulus check went to charities that are helping people who really got screwed by COVID-19.

I wonder how those people feel about raising minimum wage to $15/hr. (Never mind - I can probably guess.)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Waaaaaah.

Our household makes less than half of that, we pay about $25k/year for health insurance, I lost 3 months worth of work from one client because of the virus, and we've got a son in college. Our stimulus check went to charities that are helping people who really got screwed by COVID-19.

I wonder how those people feel about raising minimum wage to $15/hr. (Never mind - I can probably guess.)

They would complain for that would mean their gardener, pool boy and maid would have to get raises.

Oops I forgot, the maid is someone from another country on temporarily and cannot look for work elsewhere for they are holding her passport.

• Like (+1) 3

200 per person or household?

46 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Waaaaaah.

We pay about $20k employer and me.  I pick up 40%

17 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Oops I forgot, the maid is someone from another country on temporarily and cannot look for work elsewhere for they are holding her passport.

But they still want the wall built.

29 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I like how they say they should get it because they pay the most taxes. They obviously don't have a good accountant because most people making that kind of money find the loopholes or have connections to pay very little taxes

Really?

Pretty hard to get around W2 or 1099 income.

Another myth.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

Maybe we should all make the same salary whether or not we even work. Then, we won’t have to resent, or even loathe successful people.

Or maybe people who are fortunate enough to make good salaries should own their personal choices to live a high expenditure lifestyle and not whinge

Don't mistake lack of sympathy for resentment or loathing.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Or maybe people who are fortunate enough to make good salaries should own their personal choices to live a high expenditure lifestyle and not whinge

I feel the same way about poor people (which I was growing up).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LB3 said:

I feel the same way about poor people (which I was growing up).

Sometimes, absolutely.   We've all seen it, when we "been there done that", people who blame the gov't, this that and the other for their own bad choices.

But you've probably also known folks where you legit thought "damn, that family there just can't Catch a Break!" (hopefully wasn't yours).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don’t want to pay more tax. That is my choice. I suspect that it is yours as well because I am gonna go out on a limb here and guess that you don’t send extra checks to the govt., or forsake available deductions. ?

I love reading class warfare pieces and then the resulting commentary of the envious/ignorant.  Making $200k in expensive places like NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, LA, etc doesn't make you rich, it makes you middle class.  That's why so many of them bail for much cheaper places at some point.

Politicians love that they've yet to corner the market on ignorance. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sometimes, absolutely.   We've all seen it, when we "been there done that", people who blame the gov't, this that and the other for their own bad choices.

But you've probably also known folks where you legit thought "damn, that family there just can't Catch a Break!" (hopefully wasn't yours).

Thank you. Not mine.

Only one family comes to mind where it seemed like they just had the worst luck. Illness after illness to the parents who weren't the brightest, but work ethic was amazing.

54 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Really?

Pretty hard to get around W2 or 1099 income.

Another myth.

Amen.  You can certainly leverage yourself exponentially to get tax write offs and that's how many people get "richer," but one significant change (loss of employment, illness, etc.) and that whole house of cards can come down pretty quick.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

True 'dat. 

But it's still more income than 95% of the households in this country.

No doubt, but where do you think that the bulk of 200K families tend to live? My guess is that they live in high tax states. If your family income is 200K on Long Island, nobody is impressed, and your property tax could easily be 15K. Easily, and now with the NYC exodus, the taxes will skyrocket. Home prices already have.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I love reading class warfare pieces and then the resulting commentary of the envious/ignorant.  Making $200k in expensive places like NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, LA, etc doesn't make you rich, it makes you middle class.  That's why so many of them bail for much cheaper places at some point.

Or senility.

9 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I live in DC.  

I’m living in poverty then. 

• Like (+1) 1